Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mary Poppins Returns

Release date: December 18, 2018
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
Director: Rob Marshall
MPAA Rating: PG (for some mild thematic elements and brief action)
Screenwriter: David Magee
Genre: Fantasy, Musical

Starring: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ben Whishaw, Emily Mortimer, Julie Walters, Colin Firth, Meryl Streep, Dick Van Dyke, Pixie Davies, Nathanael Saleh, Joel Dawson, Angela Lansbury

Plot Summary: In Disney's "Mary Poppins Returns," an all new sequel with a fresh sensibility that celebrates the spirit of the original, Mary Poppins is back to help the next generation of the Banks family find the joy and wonder missing in their lives. Emily Blunt ("The Girl on the Train," "Into the Woods") stars as the practically-perfect nanny with unique magical skills who can turn any task into an unforgettable, fantastic adventure and Lin-Manuel Miranda ("Hamilton," "Moana") plays her friend Jack, an optimistic street lamplighter who helps bring light -- and life -- to the streets of London.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I saw this the other night and really liked it.

The entire cast was pretty spot on especially Emily Blunt as Poppins.

Some great set pieces and song numbers.

Some great cameos, of course.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it a lot. Blunt fills Andrews' rather large shoes and brings her own thing to it. A couple of the magical set-pieces were balls to the wall imagination on screen, but thought the biggest drawback was the music was just... ok.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't usually care for re-makes or unnecessary sequels but we really enjoy Emily Blunt so we're looking forward to seeing it when the digital version comes out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I liked it a lot. Blunt fills Andrews' rather large shoes and brings her own thing to it. A couple of the magical set-pieces were balls to the wall imagination on screen, but thought the biggest drawback was the music was just... ok.
Do you think that is because it looked like according to the credits Lin-Manuel Miranda had no part in creating the music? Especially after how well he did with Moana?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think that is because it looked like according to the credits Lin-Manuel Miranda had no part in creating the music? Especially after how well he did with Moana?

Didn't look like that... he simply wasn't a part of it. I went to a screening of this weeks ago with seemingly everyone in the cast and crew on stage after for a Q and A moderated by James Corben and they had the composers/music writers up there talking about the music. God bless those guys for taking up a mission impossible to reach the heights of the original, but yeah... I think it was a BIG misstep not involving Miranda in the music. Music for a movie like this should have at least been REALLY good. Moana's music wasn't quite at the level of Frozen, but it was VERY good and had at least a couple super catchy songs. This one didn't have one that stuck in my brain after. It's what kept a good movie from being great.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Didn't look like that... he simply wasn't a part of it. I went to a screening of this weeks ago with seemingly everyone in the cast and crew on stage after for a Q and A moderated by James Corben and they had the composers/music writers up there talking about the music. God bless those guys for taking up a mission impossible to reach the heights of the original, but yeah... I think it was a BIG misstep not involving Miranda in the music. Music for a movie like this should have at least been REALLY good. Moana's music wasn't quite at the level of Frozen, but it was VERY good and had at least a couple super catchy songs. This one didn't have one that stuck in my brain after. It's what kept a good movie from being great.
Yeah I agree. To their credit, they tried to make Miranda’s big song THE song of the movie, but it just didn’t resonate.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lin Manuel Miranda? Sorry I just can't get on board with him. For some reason he just bugs me

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lin Manuel Miranda? Sorry I just can't get on board with him. For some reason he just bugs me

I'm sure if I saw Hamilton I would sing his praises up and down, but he does have one of those "I want to punch him in the face for no reason" faces.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose