DCU: Aquaman

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
so....who is gonna go see this one opening weekend??
New trailers display some brilliant visuals....anyone thinking IMAX or 3D?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I purposefully didn't read any reviews, ignored anyone talking about this movie ahead of time, and didn't even check Rotten Tomato. I wanted to see this movie based on its own merits. My highest praise? Well, it's better than Suicide Squad and BvS. If it had stuck with dudebro Momoa being dudebro Aquaman, it could have been rollicking good fun. Instead...damn. I'm not going to dissect it right now.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aquaman

Release date: December 21, 2018
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: James Wan
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and for some language)
Screenwriter: Will Beall
Genre: Action, Adventure

Starring: Jason Momoa, Willem Dafoe, Patrick Wilson, Dolph Lundgren, Ludi Lin, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Temuera Morrison, Amber Heard, Nicole Kidman, Randall Park

Plot Summary: An icon for over 70 years, Aquaman is the King of the Seven Seas. This reluctant ruler of Atlantis, caught between a surface world constantly ravaging the sea and Atlanteans looking to lash out in revolt, is committed to protecting the entire globe.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun movie. It didn't take itself to seriously and it was a massive departure from DC so far that has been really dark. It's not Wonder Woman good but at the same time probably had no business being as good as it was. Not Marvel great or Wonder Woman great but a really fun movie.

The tone was a nice change.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Fun movie. It didn't take itself to seriously and it was a massive departure from DC so far that has been really dark. It's not Wonder Woman good but at the same time probably had not business being as good as it was. Not Marvel great or Wonder Woman great but a really fun movie.

The tone was a nice change.

I'll give it credit there; like you said, CR, the tone was much different. Except when it was doing the overly serious "I WILL GIVE YOU BORING IRRELEVANT INFO-DUMP IN A PAINFULLY BAD 'AS YOU KNOW, BOB' MANNER!"

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Welp.

Good special effects. Good role for Jason Momoa. Aaaaaand... that's it. The rest of this mess was abysmal. I'm not sure if they were trying to be corny or not. Either way, virtually the entire script other than Momoa's one-liners were throwaways. And to make matters worse, the delivery of these lines was terrible by virtually everyone. What a terrible choice for a villain as well--not the villain, but the actor playing him. What a bore.

Willem Dafoe--Waste. Nicole Kidman---Waste. Amber Heard--Waste.

That said, still not as bad as BvS and not as good as Wonder Woman. But I would equate this with the worst of the Marvel movies--except in Thor: The Dark World, at least some of the performances were halfway decent.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Welp.

Good special effects. Good role for Jason Momoa. Aaaaaand... that's it. The rest of this mess was abysmal. I'm not sure if they were trying to be corny or not. Either way, virtually the entire script other than Momoa's one-liners were throwaways. And to make matters worse, the delivery of these lines was terrible by virtually everyone. What a terrible choice for a villain as well--not the villain, but the actor playing him. What a bore.

Willem Dafoe--Waste. Nicole Kidman---Waste. Amber Heard--Waste.

That said, still not as bad as BvS and not as good as Wonder Woman. But I would equate this with the worst of the Marvel movies--except in Thor: The Dark World, at least some of the performances were halfway decent.
so yer sayin DC scored a win?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I didn’t check the numbers but if that’s accurate then they definitely have a success on their hands. A big Transformers successs!

they were going up against spidey and mary poppins,lol.... mary poppins took second with 22 mil

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a solid C+, until the end when it ripped the roof off for a visual feast with a 3rd act of action and images that were really incredible on IMAX.

And I liked Aquaman... but thought they needed to lean a little more into his... I can't believe I'm saying this... dude-ness. I was totally in on the character with the roll of selfies in the beginning and if they kept squeezing juice out of that character, the movie would have been a ton more fun. But script really felt like a first or second draft that really needed a character pass.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t check the numbers but if that’s accurate then they definitely have a success on their hands. A big Transformers successs!

This movie was better than any Bay film.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely NOT true. There are 2 that are definitely better—Bad Boys and The Island.

Outside of The Rock and Bad Boys (my favorites) there were some moments in Armageddon and Pearl Harbor. The island was mediocre at best.

Outside of that? Bay movies have sucked! From what I heard the best thing about Bumblebee is Bay only produced.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Outside of The Rock and Bad Boys (my favorites) there were some moments in Armageddon and Pearl Harbor. The island was mediocre at best.

Outside of that? Bay movies have sucked! From what I heard the best thing about Bumblebee is Bay only produced.
But that’s not the conversation. And you are wrong about the Island. :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that’s not the conversation. And you are wrong about the Island. :)

Well the conversation is you setting the bar really low for Aquaman and IMO it’s clearly better then the vast majority of Bay’s crap. So it’s not a good comparison IMO.

In terms of the Island. I so wanted it to be great. Loved the idea and the cast but it just fizzled and didn’t ever reach its potential. Not awful by any means but disappointing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well the conversation is you setting the bar really low for Aquaman and IMO it’s clearly better then the vast majority of Bay’s crap. So it’s not a good comparison IMO.

In terms of the Island. I so wanted it to be great. Loved the idea and the cast but it just fizzled and didn’t ever reach its potential. Not awful by any means but disappointing.
Seems pretty simple. You said Aquaman was better than anything Bay did. I disagreed and gave two examples why I disagreed. Seems pretty black and white to me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty simple. You said Aquaman was better than anything Bay did. I disagreed and gave two examples why I disagreed. Seems pretty black and white to me.

True but I also clarified with a few examples of my own. The overall point stands. It’s a poor comparison when Aquaman is clearly better than the vast majority of Bay’s crap.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose