Who here wanted us to draft Lamar Jackson?

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I seem to remember there was at least a few here.

You were right.

For the record, I was neither pro or con LJ...... But hindsight being 20/20... Why the hell wouldn't we draft a mobile QB?...Given the fact that no one in the organization for the last 20+ years has any idea how to put together an offensive line.

I haven't completely given up on Rosen, but if we don't give him an O-line...His max ceiling is a poor mans Carson Palmer.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im pretty sure, that all else being equal, he'd be getting his D kicked in here, with a coach forcing to play from the pocket, behind a crap OL, and we'd be asking, "Who here wanted to draft Josh Rosen?" as we watched him blossom with a team that had the proper pieces around him.

Point is, I think both can be excellent QBs, but situational differences in the NFL have WAAAAAAAY more to do with a players individual success than most people want to admit.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked Lamar & I watch quite a bit of ACC football. But, I'd be lying if I thought that Rosen would still be there when we drafted. Still too early to draw conclusions, but Lamar is a special type of athlete.

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
Im pretty sure, that all else being equal, he'd be getting his D kicked in here, with a coach forcing to play from the pocket, behind a crap OL, and we'd be asking, "Who here wanted to draft Josh Rosen?" as we watched him blossom with a team that had the proper pieces around him.

Point is, I think both can be excellent QBs, but situational differences in the NFL have WAAAAAAAY more to do with a players individual success than most people want to admit.
Yep defense is carrying that team to the playoffs.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
RGIII threw the ball better than Jackson his rookie year and we all know how RGIII turned out. A pocket QB, unless they are named Marino, has to learn a more difficult approach playing in the NFL, but once they adapt (and there is nothing at this point which Rosen has shown which tells me he cannot) has a much longer career and is far more dangerous to leading a consistent offense. I liked Rosen more than Lamar Jackson and still do, though his type does not usually show early returns

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lamar looked good last night. The Ravens have a good Oline and running game to help him out. His ability to scramble and throw on the run is icing on the cake. Some of his throws were not real accurate. Once DC's get a hold of tape they will game plan to keep him in check. Like Russell Wilson it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be honest, none of the QB's coming out really stood out for me. They're not the 1983 draft class nor are they the 2011 draft class. To be truthful, the 2017 draft class was far superior to this years. Why we didn't move up 2 spots to grab Watson I'll never understand but we move up 5 spots for Rosen when Watson is a far superior QB than Rosen.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RGIII threw the ball better than Jackson his rookie year and we all know how RGIII turned out. A pocket QB, unless they are named Marino, has to learn a more difficult approach playing in the NFL, but once they adapt (and there is nothing at this point which Rosen has shown which tells me he cannot) has a much longer career and is far more dangerous to leading a consistent offense. I liked Rosen more than Lamar Jackson and still do, though his type does not usually show early returns
Unfair comparison as RGIII was ruined by Shannahan. RGIII had great numbers his rookie year(65.6% comp %, 20 TD's to 5 INT's, 102.4 rating) but Shannahan kept on playing him despite a bad knee and he's yet to recover from that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
To be honest, none of the QB's coming out really stood out for me. They're not the 1983 draft class nor are they the 2011 draft class. To be truthful, the 2017 draft class was far superior to this years. Why we didn't move up 2 spots to grab Watson I'll never understand but we move up 5 spots for Rosen when Watson is a far superior QB than Rosen.

Baker was the total package unless you had problems with him grabbing his actual “package”.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Unfair comparison as RGIII was ruined by Shannahan. RGIII had great numbers his rookie year(65.6% comp %, 20 TD's to 5 INT's, 102.4 rating) but Shannahan kept on playing him despite a bad knee and he's yet to recover from that.

RG3 is a very intelligent individual that turned into a mental midget once he crossed the line of scrimmage with the ball.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mahomes although it doesn’t change my original point of Mayfield being a complete prospect coming out.
But we had no shot at him but we did have a shot at Jackson, Mahomes, and Watson. I'm not sold on Rosen at all. To me, he's Jake Locker 2.0. He makes 1 or 2 plays a game but otherwise, he's meh.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember there was at least a few here.

You were right.

For the record, I was neither pro or con LJ...... But hindsight being 20/20... Why the hell wouldn't we draft a mobile QB?...Given the fact that no one in the organization for the last 20+ years has any idea how to put together an offensive line.

I haven't completely given up on Rosen, but if we don't give him an O-line...His max ceiling is a poor mans Carson Palmer.

They were right?? :biglaugh:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drafting quarterbacks is uncertain at best. It makes me want the Cardinals to add another quarterback in the draft somewhere.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love Lamar & he was my favorite QB in the draft. I remember people say they would draft Mason Rudolph over him & were actually serious. I will say though he has a better coaching staff & supporting cast around him than any other QBs. Still gonna root for him, though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave