Evaluating James Jones as acting GM

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just figured we would track and evaluate Jones as a GM. I have no idea whether he will be the long term answer, I hope not, but still.

So here is what he has done so far.

Waived D. Arthur
Waived S. Harrison
Picked up option on J. Jackson
Waived D. Reed
Signed J. Crawford
Did not pick up option on D. Bender
Waived T. Chandler
Waived Isaiah Canaan

So far its a lot of cleaning house. J Crawford signing was a win although I did not think it would be at the time. He is also using the G League liberally with Okobo and Melton.

So far its, well, OK. The big issues is what he has NOT done and that is get a starting quality pg.

To be continued.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Crawford signing as you note was a win although a lot of us were skeptical at the time. And the interesting thing, Crawford is the best point guard on the team when his expected contribution was only scoring and leadership. I think a lot of the other moves were expected or at least not surprises.

Jones will become more defined by his future moves but I give him an "A" for the Crawford signing.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
So far, I really like that he is doing some house-cleaning. Crawford signing seems to have been a good on e, though I wasn't impressed at the time. Outside of that, he really hasn't done much. I think I will have an actual opinion once we see what happens with Ariza and the point guard situations.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So far, I really like that he is doing some house-cleaning. Crawford signing seems to have been a good on e, though I wasn't impressed at the time. Outside of that, he really hasn't done much. I think I will have an actual opinion once we see what happens with Ariza and the point guard situations.

Well, the verdict is now in, and it is absolute sh**.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He sucks he's a LeBron co conspirator. I can't stand him. You know Ariza is going to Lakers and we ain't getting Jack. I hope I'm wrong .....but yeah screw JR didn't like him as player don't like his new crappy role either

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He sucks he's a LeBron co conspirator. I can't stand him. You know Ariza is going to Lakers and we ain't getting Jack. I hope I'm wrong .....but yeah screw JR didn't like him as player don't like his new crappy role either
Aaaaaand wrong.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's not a deal at all, but let's talk about how bad James Jones is now for not making the deal that the majority of people hated anyways.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol I stand corrected Ariza will still go to Lakers you just know it's going to happen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's not a deal at all, but let's talk about how bad James Jones is now for not making the deal that the majority of people hated anyways.
I didn’t hate it. Didn’t love it but didn’t hate it. But think it’s absokuyely hilarious that he couldn’t get it right.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn’t hate it. Didn’t love it but didn’t hate it. But think it’s absokuyely hilarious that he couldn’t get it right.

I know some will call me a Jones apologist or something but I don't blame Jones for this. He was going to get blamed regardless but this deal was reported prematurely by Woj. Nothing could be made official until 12am at the league offices, which is still 40 minutes away, so nothing should have been said right now.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I know some will call me a Jones apologist or something but I don't blame Jones for this. He was going to get blamed regardless but this deal was reported prematurely by Woj. Nothing could be made official until 12am at the league offices, which is still 40 minutes away, so nothing should have been said right now.

National journalists picked up on this. They don’t typically report a deal as “done” unless a deal is done, especially a guy like Woj. Jones screwed the pooch by not verifying who he was getting until the story was out there.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
National journalists picked up on this. They don’t typically report a deal as “done” unless a deal is done, especially a guy like Woj. Jones screwed the pooch by not verifying who he was getting until the story was out there.

Woj always reports on rumors. Bottom line is that a deal could not be completed until the 15th, period. It wasn't the 15th at the league office yet so nothing was done. Once Phoenix spoke with Memphis it was dead so the reports that came out were false. They were reported before a deal could actually be made. I don't get why that's so hard to understand.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Exactly. How often do you hear an “oops! Done deal dead!” Never. Jones is part of this screw up. So poop, I’m not calling you an apologist. You are an apologist.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Woj always reports on rumors. Bottom line is that a deal could not be completed until the 15th, period. It wasn't the 15th at the league office yet so nothing was done. Once Phoenix spoke with Memphis it was dead so the reports that came out were false. They were reported before a deal could actually be made. I don't get why that's so hard to understand.

Understand what? A trade was agreed to, it was reported nationally as agreed to, and then it was reported as dead because the Suns thought they were getting a different “Brooks.” That’s on Jones. I don’t understand why that’s so hard to understand.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Because what just happened never happens!!!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Yep. This would be the first time in 42 years I have ever seen an instance where a reported trade was nixed because one of the teams thought it was actually getting a different player than the other team was actually trading. And that's the case in any sport, not just basketball.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's not something you see happen often but that doesn't change anything. The league could not approve the deal when it was reported so it was reported prematurely. It ended up falling apart once Memphis and Phoenix spoke. There was time for it to fall apart because everyone had to wait until it hit midnight at the league offices to approve the deal. It's definitely not common but it's not all on the Suns. It's like a few years back when DeAndre Jordan agreed to sign in Dallas but then backtracked and resigned with LA. That was something that never happened like that before but there was a lot of egg left on people's faces for reporting things as a done deal before they could actually be made official. It not happening often doesn't mean it can't happen.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
It's not something you see happen often but that doesn't change anything. The league could not approve the deal when it was reported so it was reported prematurely. It ended up falling apart once Memphis and Phoenix spoke. There was time for it to fall apart because everyone had to wait until it hit midnight at the league offices to approve the deal. It's definitely not common but it's not all on the Suns. It's like a few years back when DeAndre Jordan agreed to sign in Dallas but then backtracked and resigned with LA. That was something that never happened like that before but there was a lot of egg left on people's faces for reporting things as a done deal before they could actually be made official. It not happening often doesn't mean it can't happen.

That was an individual player’s decision, not a GM screwing up a trade because two players have the same last name.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

There's a difference between that and, for example, trading for a 50-year-old Michael Jordan thinking you are actually trading for DeAndre Jordan.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was an individual player’s decision, not a GM screwing up a trade because two players have the same last name.

Our GM made that mistake? Seems like it was Washington's management.

You must be registered for see images attach

I attached a screenshot from a tweet because a similar tweet was deleted but here is the link to the attached. Just wanted to make sure it was posted in case it's deleted again.

Delete the space in the URL. I added it so the tweet wouldn't appear twice.
https://twitter .com/wojespn/status/1073798472254541825

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Our GM made that mistake? Seems like it was Washington's management.

You must be registered for see images attach

Still begs the question: Why is our acting GM using a self-interested other NBA team as a broker for our own deal?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave