Arizona Basketball 2018-2019

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know but I suspect part of why UA is recruiting so well right now is that there's this perception out there that UA was wronged by ESPN and got screwed out of a great recruiting class last year.

So it may be us against them is helping UA recruit, or maybe Miller is just a great recruiter.
Maaaan that’s stretching things. So you’re postulating that all the negative press is helping the recruiting efforts? Miller has proven to be a great recruiter I think he’s likely redoubled his efforts and it’s born fruit. Which has been amazing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Again, ESPN isnt going to purge Arizona games from its network because Miller won't do pregame interviews. It's the biggest Pac-12 draw in terms of viewership. Miller does not need help recruiting as he does an amazing job of building relationships and drawing upper-tier talent, especially in the face of one of the biggest controversies in basketball history. Greenberg was literally one of the people calling for Miller's job and not recanting when he had the opportunity. Why the hell would Miller allow him access to more information on his program? I'm not sure you understand the magnitude of ESPN's reckless behavior. If Miller weren't a public figure, he would be suing the **** out of ESPN for libel, and that might still happen.
Giving up any facetime for the program is just plain stupid and bad business. It’s not about giving Greenberg information, it’s about using a platform to give potential recruits information. In the widest platform available. Again, if he carries this with him for long enough it is going to impact the program negatively. It may just be a matter of time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maaaan that’s stretching things. So you’re postulating that all the negative press is helping the recruiting efforts? Miller has proven to be a great recruiter I think he’s likely redoubled his efforts and it’s born fruit. Which has been amazing.

Well multiple possibilities. Miller is killing it because he's a great recruiter, he's killing it because people think he cheated and got away with it, but another possibility is certainly that kids think Miller and UA got wronged and in a sense it's helping him.

I think the fact that he persevered and didn't just quit or tell UA to fire him might be helping him now.

I really don't know I'm just saying I don't think the ESPN stuff is harming recruiting if it were, he wouldn't have this great class.

I pointed out earlier UA was the only school to not suspend someone. There's more differences, USC killed it in recruiting, but they hired the dad of an elite player, who's an AAU coach, that's how they did it. Louisville is killing it too, but they fired their coach, their AD, and hired a new coach. Of all the schools involved in the FBI story that are recruiting well, UA is really the only one doing it with the same situation, minus Book.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another incredible night last night for Nico and Pinnacle High! Was on ESPN2 and what a show! Here’s the story:

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/2221224002?__twitter_impression=true

I watched about the last quarter and a half so I missed the first quarter explosion by both Mannion and Green. When i was watching Mannion was missing his jumper but making one spectacular drive or pass after another. Does a great job keeping his head up on drives.

Green has grown he looked 2-3 inches taller than the last time I saw him, they list him at 6'5" he might be taller unless Mannion is shorter than listed. Green doesn't play much defense so not a surprise that Nico lit him up.

The kid in that game who impressed me was the big on Green's team, Braxton Meah, needs to get much stronger but man he dunks everything near the rim and he has very impressive hands for a young big. I looked him up on 247 and there doesn't seem to be much of any buzz on him, he sure looked like a Pac 12 level recruit last night

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Alabama is a must win game to get into the tournament. Big game that will be heavily discussed in March if we want to play in the tournament.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Honestly, what’s the long-term consequence in denying ESPN access to the program? Not like they’re going to stop showing Arizona games. This is not supposed to be a “feel good” moment. Everything this athletic department and Sean Miller do is calculated and thought out carefully. They don’t operate on emotion; otherwise, Miller would’ve been fired or resigned by now.

Seth Greenberg was one of the people who publicly ridiculed Miller, and there’s a rumor floating around that he had a major influence on the Schlabach report. Take that nugget FWIW.

Miller looks angry. I would be too

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
NCAA will likely use this loss to keep us out of the tournament. No matter what we do in PAC 12. Then again, you can’t fall behind by 19 points on the road. Painful loss

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Coleman has fallen off of a cliff since Maui. Akot has been a monumental disappointment. Why isn't Doutrive playing? He has at least looked okay when on the court, as opposed to Smith and Barcello.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My expectations before the season that this wasn’t a tourney team so I won’t be that disappointed.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
My expectations before the season that this wasn’t a tourney team so I won’t be that disappointed.

I had the same expectations coming into the year as you (no tournament) but I will disappointed if they gel in February and this loss and PAC 12 weakness is used to keep them out.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
LMFAO.

At least the rest of the conference is trash.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Seriously? ASU took down #1 Kansas last night... How do you define “trash?” [emoji6]

Losing consecutive home games to Princeton and Utah.

The whole conference is garbage. It’s about who comes out the least smelly

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Utah had probably the hottest shooting weekend in its program’s history. 56% FG and 50% from three today. Arizona made just enough plays at the end to win.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wish Akot the best but he has been a huge disappointment. Read he scored 7 points in his first game and that was his career high.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any reason given on Akot other than the obvious lack of playing time?

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Any reason given on Akot other than the obvious lack of playing time?
Well, he was the starting PF, so I’m not sure. Only thing I can think of is he saw the writing on the wall for next season and freaked. He’s probably getting really bad advice, probably the same people who told him to reclassify a year early.

Problem for Akot is he should’ve made this decision 2 weeks ago. Now, he has to sit out nearly 3 semesters before he can play again. Dick move to quit on your brothers 4 games into conference play.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose