A case for Wilks

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On my drive home from work every day I listen to “Bumper to Bumper” with Dan Barreiro on 100.3 KFAN in MN. Today Dave Sinykin, a packer fan, filled in. As he was fielding calls about everything sports on an unplanned show, he got a few from a number of Vikings fans unhappy about John DeFilippo and his play calling. His response “Everyone wants change when things don’t go well, but I think in this case, Vikings fans need to be patient. It’s his first year calling plays.”

This got me thinking about our situation in AZ. Wilks is trying to turn a vertical passing offense and 3-4 aggressive man defense into a power run ball control offense and a 4-3 agressive zone defense. It’s his first year being a head coach and was put in a tough position with most of the cap tied up and a lot of holes on both offense and defense. Could he turn it around in season 2 implementing his “system” and getting some of his players?

I think this will be the reason he will be back next season. I’m hoping he succeeds because it’ll mean we’re succeeding.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I don't think Wilks comes back next. Mainly because MB has not publicly stated his support for Wilks. MB has been completely silent in the past few weeks. Not good.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's true that rarely has a coach ever been handed a sh**storm of injuries on offense like Wilks has, let alone in his first year trying to reshape the system.
Hasn't been a level playing field at all for him, but the test of character is whether he still has the support of the guys in the locker room, who know better than anyone else what the challenges have been. MB will be exit interviewing them all very carefully this year.

At least we're 3-5 so far in the Josh Rosen era.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My beef is why change to a 4-3 when the 3-4 was working. Also, why go a power run game when the NFL has changed to a passing game? Seems like hes doing everything opposite of where the NFL is heading?

Just seems counterproductive.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
On my drive home from work every day I listen to “Bumper to Bumper” with Dan Barreiro on 100.3 KFAN in MN. Today Dave Sinykin, a packer fan, filled in. As he was fielding calls about everything sports on an unplanned show, he got a few from a number of Vikings fans unhappy about John DeFilippo and his play calling. His response “Everyone wants change when things don’t go well, but I think in this case, Vikings fans need to be patient. It’s his first year calling plays.”

This got me thinking about our situation in AZ. Wilks is trying to turn a vertical passing offense and 3-4 aggressive man defense into a power run ball control offense and a 4-3 agressive zone defense. It’s his first year being a head coach and was put in a tough position with most of the cap tied up and a lot of holes on both offense and defense. Could he turn it around in season 2 implementing his “system” and getting some of his players?

I think this will be the reason he will be back next season. I’m hoping he succeeds because it’ll mean we’re succeeding.
Absolutely not

OP
OP
AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I do not think Wilks deserves another season. Everything he preached we’d be during the season, we’re not. I was just opening up a different perspective rather than a new fire Wilks thread. It’s strange though that there’s no communication between Keim and Wilks though. I think one of them will be gone at the end of the season and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Keim.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Your offense has to be built on something. If you have a star QB, it will be the passing game. Otherwise you need a hell of a line and a serious running back, and can be successful.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Your offense has to be built on something. If you have a star QB, it will be the passing game. Otherwise you need a hell of a line and a serious running back, and can be successful.
Wilson is a star QB, and Seattle still runs the hell out of the ball...and they historically have the Bradley Sowells of the league on their OL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I’ll name a couple more
New Orleans Saints
Dallas Cowboys
For all their passing, the Pats and Panthers always have good rushing numbers, too.

It's not crazy to have a good running game. Heck, one of the biggest critiques of DeFillipo is that he goes away from the running game, when Cook and Murray are dealing! Yes they have Cousins, but a good running game rests your defense and shortens games...and usually keeps your team in control. Pass to score, run to win!

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For all their passing, the Pats and Panthers always have good rushing numbers, too.

It's not crazy to have a good running game. Heck, one of the biggest critiques of DeFillipo is that he goes away from the running game, when Cook and Murray are dealing! Yes they have Cousins, but a good running game rests your defense and shortens games...and usually keeps your team in control. Pass to score, run to win!

The one team that has been absent of a run game is the Green Bay Packers. I’m not sure who is to blame for that?

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Seahawks are a great example of using power running and an aggressive defense to win a game with 150 yards passing.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Exhibit A
The Seahawks rely on the power running game, and it is going to carry them into the playoffs.

Depends on your personnel, no? Seahawks have a crappy o-line so they've got no choice but to be a running team - even with a good QB, whom they'd like to keep standing upright.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You can probably count the number of true offensive masterminds on one hand. They key to winning for most everyone else is balance and a good to great defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson