A Series of Unfortunate Events

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To be honest Keim has had to many misses in drafts and the last couple of years of FA haven’t helped either. I would like to see what McDonough could do.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then there’s the group I previously dubbed the “eggshell” line. They were supposed to be the run blockers who would be the spearhead of the new run first offense. I thought the Cards would have the inside track on
Norwell. Again as far as I can determine they were fine with him helping to build Jax into a Super Bowl team. They had the money but elected not to spend it, deciding to spend two-thirds of that money on a vastly inferior player, Pugh.

Man the Cardinals OL is terrible. It blows my mind that this supposedly physical OL can't get an inch of push up front. We all knew that the pass blocking would most likely be suspect but where is this dominate run blocking team at?

As for Norwell, he has been struggling in Jacksonville after they made him the highest paid OG in the league:

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports...aking-time-for-jaguars-lineman-andrew-norwell

Man I thought for sure that Norwell would be a sure thing. Where have all the good OL gone???

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To be honest Keim has had to many misses in drafts and the last couple of years of FA haven’t helped either. I would like to see what McDonough could do.
he's gonna bring in 3 QBs to compete for the job, they'll all get pissed that they aren't starting and demand a trade.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Man the Cardinals OL is terrible. It blows my mind that this supposedly physical OL can't get an inch of push up front. We all knew that the pass blocking would most likely be suspect but where is this dominate run blocking team at?

As for Norwell, he has been struggling in Jacksonville after they made him the highest paid OG in the league:

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports...aking-time-for-jaguars-lineman-andrew-norwell

Man I thought for sure that Norwell would be a sure thing. Where have all the good OL gone???
with olinemen it isnt always as simple as "Bad" or "good"... some guys are great at zone blocking but suck at man to man blocking...and vice versa... then you have schemes...some isolate, others provide double teams and others give help from backs or TE's
what troubles me with our guys is it seams they are always trying to block forward...I never see a guy get an angle on a DE and just drive him sideways right out of the box.... very hard to open holes when you are blocking forward

the oline coach we got from carolina is top notch,...or at least has that reputation.... so my guess is the scheme or play design is the culprit as often as not

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
If the Rosen-Kirk combo continues to show promise this season, and Cole anchoring our OL for all 16 games, the 2018 draft class alone will buy Keim another year at least.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
with olinemen it isnt always as simple as "Bad" or "good"... some guys are great at zone blocking but suck at man to man blocking...and vice versa... then you have schemes...some isolate, others provide double teams and others give help from backs or TE's
what troubles me with our guys is it seams they are always trying to block forward...I never see a guy get an angle on a DE and just drive him sideways right out of the box.... very hard to open holes when you are blocking forward

the oline coach we got from carolina is top notch,...or at least has that reputation.... so my guess is the scheme or play design is the culprit as often as not
I agree that the blocking style of our OL is archaic. Usually the OL blocks like they are told to do. It's one thing getting your ass whooped on a well-designed play even if you gave your best effort, but it's another thing of being put into the position to fail no matter what.

Actually, I think given how surprisingly mobile and accurate Josh Rosen has looked on the move, we should build an offense around play action rollout passes. David Johnson thrives putting his foot into the ground when smelling open cutback lanes, particularly outside the tackle box. We should employ a zone blocking scheme with a passing game built on play action rollouts. Shanahan does it to perfection and gets the best out of a subpar talent like Beathard. On the other side of the spectrum, A-Rod does the play action rollout like no other QB. If you watched the 9ers Packers game, you saw what damage zone blocking paired with play action rollouts can cause. All game long.

The biggest plus is that you can build an OL suited for this style with weaker but quicker OL talent, which is much cheaper than signing highly decorated big bodies like Iupati or Pugh. Kirk would be an excellent fit on crossing routes in such a scheme.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
It felt to me that the 2017 season was a season too far to hang onto BA. I'm the GM probably I start getting the team ready for the conversion at the end of the 2016 season, the draft, everything would of ceased caring about what BA wanted and simply would of done what was best for the franchise.

However if I was the GM BA would of never existed on this team as I don't believe that ever had a chance of winning a SB and I liked the guy and his system was really fun to watch he was powering it with a QB who was unlikely to stay healthy enough to get it done, said so at the time seems it was proven out to be the case, we never won a SB and were highly unlikely to have ever won one.

CP would never have been my choice to try and get that done although he was very fun to watch that's my main beef with BA, although I liked a lot about him, there were things like this that made it obvious we were never going to win it all.

I would of dug deeper into coaching trees deeper down instead of settling on a more proven option. I would of gone with someone who laid out the best vision for long term competitiveness in the NFL.

We aint going to get someone comming here that is proven to win at the HC level, that's not going to happen, has never happened here, we've never employed a SB winning HC that I know of correct me if I'm wrong.

Those types rarely come available and if they do why would they come to this team?

Nope you have to dig deeper and find them earlier the only thing of value we could give someone capable of it is an earlier shot at it than eveyrone else that's the reason for my thinking on that one.

That person is out there, they are a QB coach or a special teams coach or a DB backs coach, a TE coach, something.

But again for the upteenth millionth time, it starts with a Qaulity GM who knows football and already understands all that. There is someone out there who will be the next dynasty maker, if we wait until they prove that, they aint never going to come here, we have to find that before everyone else gives them a shot and give them their shot to get them.

My wife loves the Chiefs they've lost one game, barely, THEY aren't SB caliber because of their DEFENSE, they have a hella good young QB who I think will be one of the best to play the game, who knows, but they STILL are not going to win it all in my opinion because even people like Andy Reid who'd we'd be lucky to EVER get are STILL not the answer, that's how hard this is.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Rosen-Kirk combo continues to show promise this season, and Cole anchoring our OL for all 16 games, the 2018 draft class alone will buy Keim another year at least.
Begs the question: If a GM is a great drafter, does that make him a great trader? Do drafting 3 or 4 keepers translate to being adept at building and stacking a winning team? Do great drafters always hire/manage/develop great coaches?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
This will probably be Keim's best draft for sure. Drafting a franchise quarterback is huge if you are successful. Kirk and Cole are both getting better each week so I'm hoping Keim got this one right.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This will probably be Keim's best draft for sure. Drafting a franchise quarterback is huge if you are successful. Kirk and Cole are both getting better each week so I'm hoping Keim got this one right.

I don't understand how D.J. Humphries, Cole, and Wetzel can be so good according to some but our running game can keep stinking.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

As for Norwell, he has been struggling in Jacksonville after they made him the highest paid OG in the league

I’d still take Norwell. The Jax line is a mess. Norwell played next to 3 LTs in 5 games. Coordination is crucial to good line play and you can’t develop it with constant personnel changes. I didn’t expect him to allow zero sacks again this yes, but I will admit I’d expected better. I think he’ll settle in and I sure rather have him than Iupati.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Agreed. As Keim ever hit on his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pick in a single draft? I don’t believe so. Keim’s job is not in jeopardy.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I don't understand how D.J. Humphries, Cole, and Wetzel can be so good according to some but our running game can keep stinking.
I think Humphries and Cole are more position and wall off finesse guys. Both are better suited to be in a zone blocking scheme to me. Now Cole with another year or two could build up and become stronger. He definitely has the body to add 15 pounds of muscle. I don't think Wetzel will ever be a good tackle. I think he is already at his peak as a backup swing guy.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d still take Norwell. The Jax line is a mess. Norwell played next to 3 LTs in 5 games. Coordination is crucial to good line play and you can’t develop it with constant personnel changes. I didn’t expect him to allow zero sacks again this yes, but I will admit I’d expected better. I think he’ll settle in and I sure rather have him than Iupati.

I agree.

I was just shocked at how poorly he has played so far. My friends from Jacksonville are already calling him a bust considering that he is the highest paid guard in the NFL.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our O-line is put in bad situation, bad playcalling and bad scheme for what we want to do ... or really vice versa, they are the wrong guys for this system but the right ones if you go zone blocking ... what we definitly should and with our O-line coach should do ... but ... McCoy ...

From what I saw on the no huddle drive of Rosen, was a great O-line and even with Bradford the O-line was really good on Pass but the run ... is the problem, they aren't mauler and in the man system you need some maulers else you will go nowhere if your O-line doesn't overpower the D-line.

This is basic O-line /D-line 101.

Do you realize that our starting O-line had 4#1 round picks a #3 round pick ...

Anyone that calls the GM didn't try to fix our O-line ... is just not getting the facts right.

DJ plays well... Iupati can't stay healthy the last 2 season but he didn't play that bad .... Cole is killing it for a Rookie ... Pugh played well ... Smith isn't that great wetzel didn't play that much worse.

But we will see

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave