How many DJ runs up the middle for loss/no gain will we see Sunday?

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
How many DJ runs up the middle for loss/no gain will we see Sunday? McCoy seems to LOVE giving away every first down to the defense for free... running DJ up the middle for no gain. With Vikings decent run defense, I imagine we'll see another week of 1st down waste from McCoy.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Here's my main question.

Wouldn't a defensive minded coach know who was the most creative biggest pain in the butt OC to defend against and wouldn't that give clues as to what coaching trees to go after in hiring your OC?

Given this line of reasoning how did we land upon our current OC?

These are just thoughts I have sometimes.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I will see all of them. We're going to the game. I'll be bringing my bird mask, as well as my old paper sack from Whisenpunt's final season, that I wore to the last game when 'punt was on his 9-game losing streak. If I pop that sucker on, I'm bound to wind up on TV!

If the Cardinals go into this game the least bit cocky after their "huge win" against the depleted and horrible 49ers, they'll get clocked even worse than the Rams game. I predict a 30-point defeat. The Vikes have already had their "trap" game, getting blown out by the Bills 2 weeks ago. They're not going to let anything like that happen again this year. Hope I'm wrong and the Cards somehow pull off an upset. Not optimistic.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's very strange. Did McCoy even watch tape from when David Johnson was playing well? The last month of that season we were playing with Jared Veldheer (LT), Evan Mathis (RG), and D.J. Humphries (RT) out, and he still managed 4 ypc and 10 yards per reception.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's very strange. Did McCoy even watch tape from when David Johnson was playing well? The last month of that season we were playing with Jared Veldheer (LT), Evan Mathis (RG), and D.J. Humphries (RT) out, and he still managed 4 ypc and 10 yards per reception.
The answer to your question is no. This is why McCoy keeps getting fired. He hasn't shown he can adapt his scheme to his players. He just keeps trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I doubt it, but I hope this is a 1 year deal.

Fisher and his staff managed to stifle Gurley and Goff. Hopefully, mike B can see Rosen, DJ, and maybe even Kirk are weapons on offense and bring in an offensive mind to run things.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Elite running backs find a way to get yards up the middle.

McCoy needs to sprinkle in some off tackle stuff.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Elite running backs find a way to get yards up the middle.

McCoy needs to sprinkle in some off tackle stuff.

There literally have been no creases for Johnson to run to up the middle. Even DJ needs a little wiggle room. The blocking up front has been atrocious. If McCoy would run more off-tackle plays, he would spread out the defense and get some of those defenders out of the box.

I also read somewhere that Mason Cole was graded out as one of the worst overall starting centers in the NFL in terms of run blocking.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt it, but I hope this is a 1 year deal.

Fisher and his staff managed to stifle Gurley and Goff. Hopefully, mike B can see Rosen, DJ, and maybe even Kirk are weapons on offense and bring in an offensive mind to run things.

this is what I was hoping for in a previous thread.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
There literally have been no creases for Johnson to run to up the middle. Even DJ needs a little wiggle room. The blocking up front has been atrocious. If McCoy would run more off-tackle plays, he would spread out the defense and get some of those defenders out of the box.

I also read somewhere that Mason Cole was graded out as one of the worst overall starting centers in the NFL in terms of run blocking.
When the FB is in there, he opens holes...but DJ rarely, if ever, follows him. He needs to do a better job of that, when applicable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
I couldn’t believe we hired McCoy when I first heard it. Now we're stuck with him for at least the remainder of the season....gag

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Football is not rocket science. For an offensive coordinator all he has to do is take what the defense gives him and he will look good. If they stack the box throw the ball. If they are playing the pass then run. If they are not stacking the box do whatever you want. A high school coach knows this much. Mix your runs up as well. Some outside some inside. Sweeps, draws, off tackle stuff. At least have the defense guessing enough that they don't look at the play and say look Chase Edmonds is in the game. He's getting the ball no matter what and it's probably up the middle run. Or hey its first down and 9 out of 10 times they run it up the middle so lets stack the box and everybody meet at the running back.

Sometimes I just wonder what is going through McCoy's head. If fans see this kind of garbage what are opposing defensive coordinators thinking. They have to be thinking one thing for sure and that is McCoy is going to make them look good.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vike middle on defense consists of Joseph, Kendricks and Sendejo.

Wanna run into the teeth of that hurricane?

Suggest we attack the perimter with sweeps and screens - & hope that we tire out the Viking pursuers enough to run DJ inside later in the game.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I couldn’t believe we hired McCoy when I first heard it. Now we're stuck with him for at least the remainder of the season....gag
I couldn't believe it either. Then I realized the Cardinals were following the Suns blueprint for tanking and kinda made sense.

A fun drinking game that us Chargers fans played on our forum when McCoy was coaching the Bolts was to take a shot of vodka for every time there was a run up the middle on 1st down.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I smell a drinking game...
You must be registered for see images attach

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
We all hate McCoy, but nobody of us can say that we know more football than him. Of course he must get more creative with our run schemes. But has anybody in here ever thought that our OL might not be athletic enough? Iupati has become old and injuries have slowed him down. Pugh has also had his fair share of injuries and was never athletic. Smith can barely move at all, Wetzel stiff as well. Cole is fairly athletic but still a rookie C. Humphries is athletic but not a good run blocker. Gresham/RSJ are useless for blocking if you watch them closely. Maybe that's the reason why McCoy keeps pounding through the middle, because he is rather facing 2nd & 10 than 2nd & 14. Who knows.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We all hate McCoy, but nobody of us can say that we know more football than him. Of course he must get more creative with our run schemes. But has anybody in here ever thought that our OL might not be athletic enough? Iupati has become old and injuries have slowed him down. Pugh has also had his fair share of injuries and was never athletic. Smith can barely move at all, Wetzel stiff as well. Cole is fairly athletic but still a rookie C. Humphries is athletic but not a good run blocker. Gresham/RSJ are useless for blocking if you watch them closely. Maybe that's the reason why McCoy keeps pounding through the middle, because he is rather facing 2nd & 10 than 2nd & 14. Who knows.

nonsense, again, last year we had a line of backups that played better as a unit. This is coaching, plain and simple

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

No one's a bigger Humphries skeptic than I, but saying that Humphries is a bad run blocker is just wrong. Just two weeks ago, these guys had no problem getting down the field on that screen play to DJ.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Humphries iupati and the TEs were here before as well was Wetzel when the run game was better so it’s all Pugh and coles fault they can’t run outside?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Humphries iupati and the TEs were here before as well was Wetzel when the run game was better so it’s all Pugh and coles fault they can’t run outside?

DJ has done a poor job of following his FB, when he's been in there...and he's been opening holes to the left guard side (behind Iupati?)...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave