A Series of Unfortunate Events

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Let’s start from the beginning. It was, I believed, correctly determined that a coaching change was needed. It was also a time of significant personnel changes due in part to aging players. The Cards offense was built for the big play they had speed guys, a gambling mentality and wily veterans. The defense was a 3-4, stop the run and a bend but don't break pass defense. They played close expecting to win at the end. Their coach was a total optimist who believed in continuous risk taking.

The Cards elected to blow up everything, literally choosing a coaching staff that has a philosophy which was the total opposite of the previous staff. This created a host of issues including could the remaining personnel fit, was the GM capable of assembling a draft that supported the new philosophy, could impact free agents be signed to facilitate the new game plan and could a coaching staff be assembled to execute these new systems?

Let me make it clear early on that I’m not saying Wilks is a bad coach. It’s way too early to make that call. However, there can be little question that fully revamping both sides of the game plan would be a challenging task for a veteran coach. That expectation by a first time head coach maywell have been naive.

In looking at the offense the receiving staff, except for a Fitz, was allowed to depart with no effort to retain them. On the surface frankly they appeared to not be a major loss. That said they were dependable route runners who knew how to get open, especially on third downs. They also were willing downfield blockers. They understood what an NFL defense would do to shut them down. They weren’t great but they were gritty. Beyond Fitz the Cards kept the two least productive and least reliable members of the receiving corp. They drafted a good looking punt returner, but first year receivers are rarely impact players. Kirk needs to learn where the line to make is. He could catch and run to it in college but he’s not in college any more. Williams looks like a high school player in terms of route running sophistication. The Cards elected to use Keim’s garage sale system to fill out the group, passing on previously successful receivers like Amendola. To say they couldn’t have signed him is to ignore where he ended up signing. So they have a new QB with one credible target.

While it’s hard to believe this to be true, I think the running back unit was handed even more poorly. I have to chuckle at Wilks’ idea of fixing the offense by moving Johnson around. I actually suggested that was the best reason for exercising Peterson’s option. Of course moving Johnson means someone else would be the RB in the set. A credible threat like Peterson or Kerwynn Williams would have seemed a better diversion than a mid-round rookie. As an aside I’m disappointed they just gave Penny away. They did sign a legitimate FB, but I’m still waiting to see plays designed to exploit his availability.

The tight end handling was no better. They had an overpaid veteran, a 2nd year flash in the pan and basically appeared to make little effort to secure an impact player.

Then there’s the group I previously dubbed the “eggshell” line. They were supposed to be the run blockers who would be the spearhead of the new run first offense. I thought the Cards would have the inside track on
Norwell. Again as far as I can determine they were fine with him helping to build Jax into a Super Bowl team. They had the money but elected not to spend it, deciding to spend two-thirds of that money on a vastly inferior player, Pugh. That player had ironically been released by the team that went on to sign the second best free agent O-linemen. The Cards also kept a player whose skills have diminished due to injury and signed a right tackle who would never have been classed as premier. This was the group that would make Johnson the centerpiece of the new offense.

Finally since the team was devoid of QBs so the final offense pieces needed were at that spot. You might have expected a running team would want a double-threat QB. Instead they chose an immobile QB with a big arm. In fact he was so fragile they overpaid for an experienced backup. They couldn’t have anticipated Rosen, so it not fair to put him in the mix. I do think I’d have moved a Glennon, even at a loss once Rosen was obtained.

A couple of things seem apparent. Keim made little effort to secure impact players who could have made Wilks time easier. Only Coleman would seem a potential asset. Wilks belief he could rapidly develop young players exemplified his inexperience.

Most new coaches who served their time have guys in their pocket who’ve also been passed over. Bruce Arians had Todd Bowles. I don’t believe McCoy was Wilks’ choice. Read this and see what you think.

https://www.4for4.com/fantasy-footb...e-mccoy-impact-cardinals-2018-fantasy-outlook

I think McCoy was forced on Wilkes. I decline to say why. Maybe I’m missing it but I don’t see their connection. I think this is a shame.

In my mind the bigger problem is how to fix this mess. Certainly this season is doomed. Keim must go. His draft history and inability to shape a roster to his coach constitutes sufficient grounds. I think the Cards start with the O-line mostly having to use the draft. Useful free agents at WR & RB are readily available. Get a real tight end. Dump Bradford. Start Rosen. Glennon will be cheap enough to keep, though I admit not liking him. Beyond that the Cards will be in great shape cap-wise; having a good balance between returning starters and recovered cap money. They will be in an excellent position to rebuild rapidly and perhaps even contend depending on Rosen’s development.

I’ll post something on the defense soon. Don’t give up your season tickets. By next year they may be fun again.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Like Choppers post, this one is also excellent. I really do feel that the execution of Keim's plan will cost him his job, he did exactly what he planed to do and the results match his competency. I feel Wilks with matching OC and GM will be a far better situation than Keim selecting another head coach after the season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So, the Wilks coaching roots are Lovie Smith and Ron Rivera. In terms of what sort of offensive philosophy he wants, I don't know. Neither Lovie Smith nor Ron Rivera have ever had offenses that were dynamic.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The disconnects that are mentioned are the clear reason for the poor start. Plenty enough talent to compete, but the gameplan doesn't fit.
We as fans all need to remember to approach it with some big-boy grit and persistence. Two bad games to start the season, and we want to crucify:

the GM
the HC
the OC
the QB
anyone else not named Peterson, Jones, Fitzgerald, or Johnson.

It doesn't work that way. We are clearly going to have to rebuild starting now, but that rebuild can only be accomplished with a clear coaching scheme and player development pattern that stays cohesive. Canning them all and starting over again next year only sets us back another year further. Can't rebuild in one year in the NFL, but you can definitely do it in two.

Plus, it is counterproductive to rashly make moves to dump people without clearly having someone better to move into their spot. Who's walking the streets with their pockets hanging out looking for an NFL general manager's or head coach's job?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wonderful but depressing read. Appreciate your thoughts, Harry. Since I have season tickets I can endure a bad season if there is hope for better ones.
Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the defense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think that Michael Bidwill (and maybe Keim) liked the cut of Steve Wilks' jib a lot. So they hired him. I bet he fed them the story about studying tape and seeing a lot of 4-man lines and that the transition wouldn't be big. Maybe he believed that.

I don't agree that this was a "bend but don't break" pass defense last season or under Keim. We were 10th in DVOA and 14th in passing yards allowed. We we worse at allowing teams to score TDs through the air (18th) than we were in letting them gain yards.

I don't know how anyone believed that dumping Matthieu — who played more defensive snaps than literally anyone in the NFL in 2017 — and replacing him with air was supposed to be a good plan.

It's impossible to imagine that Keim kept tabs on Greg Little for two years(!!!) and he wasn't close to making the final roster. If there was one thing this team historically has been able to do, it's find functional recieving talent.

This offseason was all tactics, no strategy. The apologists are probably already on here defending each individual decision as justifiable. When all of them are stacked up, it's an utter mess.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The disconnects that are mentioned are the clear reason for the poor start. Plenty enough talent to compete, but the gameplan doesn't fit.

Maybe to compete for 5 wins, but not to be good. There might by 5 players on this roster who would start for 16 or more other NFL teams, which I'm guessing is two or three below the NFL average.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let’s start from the beginning. It was, I believed, correctly determined that a coaching change was needed. It was also a time of significant personnel changes due in part to aging players. The Cards offense was built for the big play they had speed guys, a gambling mentality and wily veterans. The defense was a 3-4, stop the run and a bend but don't break pass defense. They played close expecting to win at the end. Their coach was a total optimist who believed in continuous risk taking.

The Cards elected to blow up everything, literally choosing a coaching staff that has a philosophy which was the total opposite of the previous staff. This created a host of issues including could the remaining personnel fit, was the GM capable of assembling a draft that supported the new philosophy, could impact free agents be signed to facilitate the new game plan and could a coaching staff be assembled to execute these new systems?

Let me make it clear early on that I’m not saying Wilks is a bad coach. It’s way too early to make that call. However, there can be little question that fully revamping both sides of the game plan would be a challenging task for a veteran coach. That expectation by a first time head coach maywell have been naive.

In looking at the offense the receiving staff, except for a Fitz, was allowed to depart with no effort to retain them. On the surface frankly they appeared to not be a major loss. That said they were dependable route runners who knew how to get open, especially on third downs. They also were willing downfield blockers. They understood what an NFL defense would do to shut them down. They weren’t great but they were gritty. Beyond Fitz the Cards kept the two least productive and least reliable members of the receiving corp. They drafted a good looking punt returner, but first year receivers are rarely impact players. Kirk needs to learn where the line to make is. He could catch and run to it in college but he’s not in college any more. Williams looks like a high school player in terms of route running sophistication. The Cards elected to use Keim’s garage sale system to fill out the group, passing on previously successful receivers like Amendola. To say they couldn’t have signed him is to ignore where he ended up signing. So they have a new QB with one credible target.

While it’s hard to believe this to be true, I think the running back unit was handed even more poorly. I have to chuckle at Wilks’ idea of fixing the offense by moving Johnson around. I actually suggested that was the best reason for exercising Peterson’s option. Of course moving Johnson means someone else would be the RB in the set. A credible threat like Peterson or Kerwynn Williams would have seemed a better diversion than a mid-round rookie. As an aside I’m disappointed they just gave Penny away. They did sign a legitimate FB, but I’m still waiting to see plays designed to exploit his availability.

The tight end handling was no better. They had an overpaid veteran, a 2nd year flash in the pan and basically appeared to make little effort to secure an impact player.

Then there’s the group I previously dubbed the “eggshell” line. They were supposed to be the run blockers who would be the spearhead of the new run first offense. I thought the Cards would have the inside track on
Norwell. Again as far as I can determine they were fine with him helping to build Jax into a Super Bowl team. They had the money but elected not to spend it, deciding to spend two-thirds of that money on a vastly inferior player, Pugh. That player had ironically been released by the team that went on to sign the second best free agent O-linemen. The Cards also kept a player whose skills have diminished due to injury and signed a right tackle who would never have been classed as premier. This was the group that would make Johnson the centerpiece of the new offense.

Finally since the team was devoid of QBs so the final offense pieces needed were at that spot. You might have expected a running team would want a double-threat QB. Instead they chose an immobile QB with a big arm. In fact he was so fragile they overpaid for an experienced backup. They couldn’t have anticipated Rosen, so it not fair to put him in the mix. I do think I’d have moved a Glennon, even at a loss once Rosen was obtained.

A couple of things seem apparent. Keim made little effort to secure impact players who could have made Wilks time easier. Only Coleman would seem a potential asset. Wilks belief he could rapidly develop young players exemplified his inexperience.

Most new coaches who served their time have guys in their pocket who’ve also been passed over. Bruce Arians had Todd Bowles. I don’t believe McCoy was Wilks’ choice. Read this and see what you think.

https://www.4for4.com/fantasy-footb...e-mccoy-impact-cardinals-2018-fantasy-outlook

I think McCoy was forced on Wilkes. I decline to say why. Maybe I’m missing it but I don’t see their connection. I think this is a shame.

In my mind the bigger problem is how to fix this mess. Certainly this season is doomed. Keim must go. His draft history and inability to shape a roster to his coach constitutes sufficient grounds. I think the Cards start with the O-line mostly having to use the draft. Useful free agents at WR & RB are readily available. Get a real tight end. Dump Bradford. Start Rosen. Glennon will be cheap enough to keep, though I admit not liking him. Beyond that the Cards will be in great shape cap-wise; having a good balance between returning starters and recovered cap money. They will be in an excellent position to rebuild rapidly and perhaps even contend depending on Rosen’s development.

I’ll post something on the defense soon. Don’t give up your season tickets. By next year they may be fun again.
Harry: Thank you for giving credible answers to the inevitable question: "Why'd they do that?""

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can't disagree with a single word above. spot on... unfortunately.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A working functional dynamic revolves around coach identifying a need and GM providing options to fill the same. would we ever know if Wilks chose poorly from options provided by Keim or the other way? If Keim's time is up after this year, however it may look, they should end Wilks contract too. Let the new GM hire the HC to avoid Jim Caldwell/Lions situation.

Give the new GM and coach a potential QBOTF, 95+ million in FA availablity, a top 5 pick and go from there.

Last edited:

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Give the new GM and coach a potential QBOTF, 95+ million in FA availablity, a top 5 pick and go from there.

BOOM!!! 100%!!!

Keim made his bed. He knew it. Saw it coming...and drank (too much). Cardinals in a major year long "hangover". Would be unbelievably monumental to turn this mess around.

I don't know a whole hell of a lot...but this organization by all accounts looks to be needing a whole new regime. Somebody who knows today's NFL offense for starters. Believe it or not...I do trust Micheal Bidwill though. He has a good track record the past decade or so. Gonna have to make some serious decisions or he'll lose everything he's worked so hard for. Go Cards!!!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
These are my thoughts:

I believe Mike B won’t stand for too much crap. He wants to win. He’ll make changes if things don’t improve.

I don’t think we will see any coaching changes mid-year and that’s okay by me because it’s not like they are going to find the answer for next year in the staff.

I’m willing to admit that while I don’t believe this is going to happen, everything could coalesce sometime during the year and the team could take a turn for the positive. Again I don’t expect it, but who knows.

If they really stay on the current trajectory we will absolutely see Rosen as some point this year. Just likely not until we are at least five games in, imo.

If we don’t see marked improvement in some way shape or fashion by year’s end I’m good with sweeping everyone outta the organization.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A working functional dynamic revolves around coach identifying a need and GM providing options to fill the same. would we ever know if Wilks chose poorly from options provided by Keim or the other way? If Keim's time is up after this year, however it may look, they should end Wilks contract too. Let the new GM hire the HC to avoid Jim Caldwell/Lions situation.

damn right.

Can't afford to destroy the first two years of a QBOTF. If there's ANY question of that happening, taking the above into account, you can make this team very attractive for someone looking to build a team with a lot of room to do so.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the Wilks coaching roots are Lovie Smith and Ron Rivera. In terms of what sort of offensive philosophy he wants, I don't know. Neither Lovie Smith nor Ron Rivera have ever had offenses that were dynamic.
This was my fear when he was being courted in the run up to the hiring. Smith and Rivera are mired in the bottom level of my head coach competency rankings.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This was my fear when he was being courted in the run up to the hiring. Smith and Rivera are mired in the bottom level of my head coach competency rankings.

Two guys who coached poorly regarded teams to the Super Bowl are in the bottom level of your head coach competency rankings?

IMO, Ron Rivera (65-48-1) was the best case scenario for Dave McGinnis, and Lovie Smith (89-87) was the trial run for Marvin Lewis. Smith coached the Bears for 10 years and had 1 season with fewer than 7 wins -- his first. Always with below-average quarterbacks.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are my thoughts:

I believe Mike B won’t stand for too much crap. He wants to win. He’ll make changes if things don’t improve.

I don’t think we will see any coaching changes mid-year and that’s okay by me because it’s not like they are going to find the answer for next year in the staff.

I’m willing to admit that while I don’t believe this is going to happen, everything could coalesce sometime during the year and the team could take a turn for the positive. Again I don’t expect it, but who knows.

If they really stay on the current trajectory we will absolutely see Rosen as some point this year. Just likely not until we are at least five games in, imo.

If we don’t see marked improvement in some way shape or fashion by year’s end I’m good with sweeping everyone outta the organization.

I agree. The Cardinals have a brand new HC and DC installing a new defense. They have a completely new QB room with an OC who is also installing a new offense. I think it's only fair to give this staff a full year to get their feet underneath them.

However as you have said, there needs to be improvement as the year goes on. If it's week 14 and the Cardinals haven't shown any improvement from the embarrassing first two weeks then that is a serious red flag and changes may need to be made at the end of the season.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's week 4 and the Cardinals haven't shown any improvement from the embarrassing first two weeks then that is a serious red flag and changes may need to be made.
FTFY!

It is utterly inconceivable and unacceptable for the team to continue putting up 5 first downs after 3 or four quarters. There is NO WAY they can allow that to happen for 14 games before making drastic changes.

...dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think our GM is fine & I'm willing to give our HC a little more time. It's the OC that I don't care for. Nobody expected the Cards to do well this year so I don't understand why everyone is up in arms when they are exactly what everyone expected. I believe Keim has a plan. He's turned around this franchise when he started so I'm not concerned. Next year we'll have tons of cap space & a top draft pick. Isn't that what everyone wanted from this year anyway?
I'm always optimistic & I feel we have a chance to win every game. But I also understand that we just aren't that good as a team right now. So when we don't win I don't go all ballistic because I realize it's just a game. I have plenty of other things to stress about besides a damn game. ;)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I agree with you Harry regarding needing to upgrade both lines, especially the OL next year as the first priority.

Sultan

Reaction score
Name me a GM in any sport who survived a dismal last place team 5 years in his tenure?

When Keim came on board he said it would take a while to clean up the bad contracts and get the house in order.

Bad drafting, bad contracts, poor coaching choices, extreme DUI. The guy's a mess and needs to go.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Name me a GM in any sport who survived a dismal last place team 5 years in his tenure?

When Keim came on board he said it would take a while to clean up the bad contracts and get the house in order.

Bad drafting, bad contracts, poor coaching choices, extreme DUI. The guy's a mess and needs to go.

Jerry Angelo (Bears) survived one 4 years into his tenure. And a second one 7 years in.

Bill Polian (Colts) went 5-11 and finished last in 2001 and survived.

Sultan

Reaction score
Jerry Angelo (Bears) survived one 4 years into his tenure. And a second one 7 years in.

Bill Polian (Colts) went 5-11 and finished last in 2001 and survived.
It was more of a rhetorical question. I'm sure as crappy organizations have existed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA