Maybe Sam Bradford isn't even the QB he used to be..

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When u are scared to play cause u fear to get injuries its better to quit the game

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we are terrible, it puts us in a unique position to really build our defensive line.

Yes, lay down the foundations for a bright future, a young franchise qb and solid defense, hopefully with a young innovative offensive mind

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
I take it you haven't watched virtually his entire career.

That wasn't a good game for him, but his play style was what one should expect.

EDIT: sorry, that was harsh. Bradford played awful, and I'd say Bradford is merely average or slightly below. Personally, I never was afraid of him as a Ram, I was bummed when they gave up on him. To me, he can move the ball decently between the 20's... but he closer the defense gets to the line of scrimmage, the more he struggles. He doesn't even try to beat teams over the top, he looks for quick reads and nothing else. Seeing as our receiving corps isn't exactly a 'yards after catch' group, I expect a lot of 4 yard completions on 3rd and long.
I'm not a Sam hater. I saw the best Sam Bradford had when he won the OROY, and he won it by dinking and dunking due to the poor Oline and substandard receivers that we had...or..watching SJAX run the ball. He took a lot of punishment and had happy feet before he left the Rams to the Eagles. Now he's made it to Phoenix after a stay in Minneapolis, and I'll say..Sam should retire. His body is tired and he fears the hits now. The hole is deep enough man, quit digging. I believe he has made more than $100 million in his career, so money can't be an issue.

Sam playing this Sunday is like a guy with neck and back injuries, trying to bungee jump. You can't blame the bungee jump for further injuries, just as you can't blame Donald, Suh, and Brockers hitting him hard when the opportunity presents itself. Do us all a favor and start Rosen. The kid looks like he might become a good one and he's more mobile than Sam at this point. Sam. go back to Oklahoma and enjoy retirement.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is only valuable if it works. It's not like the Suns are going to be good this season. They're going to suck.
Their not expected to suck, their expected to be mediocre.

Would it be better if I said Cardinals should take a page out of the 76ers book?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their not expected to suck, their expected to be mediocre.

Would it be better if I said Cardinals should take a page out of the 76ers book?

their over/under win total for the season is I believe 28. That's still suckage. Maybe not massive suckage like the last couple years, but they're still a couple years away from up and coming mediocre team, IMO.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
If we all just wish hard enough, Sam Bradford can finally emerge as the top 12 QB he’s never really shown himself to be. Many top QBs reveal themselves after their 30th birthday and 80th start.
Don't have to wish and don't even have to field an innovative/star-studded lineup. While there is plenty of reason to criticize Bradford I think credit should be given when it's due. That Bradford had 14/4 90.9 under Jeff Fisher in '13 is a feather in his cap. Granted, Bradford won't succeed under every circumstance but he also isn't limited to "perfect" conditions.

Like I said earlier, Bradford does not acclimate and get comfortable quickly. It has taken him time in each of his stops to find and get comfortable with his receivers. To see things the same way as they do. In each case, until that symbiosis is reached his passing numbers suffer. I was hoping with all the experience he's had, Fitz's professionalism and DJ as an outlet that the curve may not take as long this time but alas...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don't have to wish and don't even have to field an innovative/star-studded lineup. While there is plenty of reason to criticize Bradford I think credit should be given when it's due. That Bradford had 14/4 90.9 under Jeff Fisher in '13 is a feather in his cap. Granted, Bradford won't succeed under every circumstance but he also isn't limited to "perfect" conditions.

Like I said earlier, Bradford does not acclimate and get comfortable quickly. It has taken him time in each of his stops to find and get comfortable with his receivers. To see things the same way as they do. In each case, until that symbiosis is reached his passing numbers suffer. I was hoping with all the experience he's had, Fitz's professionalism and DJ as an outlet that the curve may not take as long this time but alas...

LOL. Why? He only played in 7 games and had a YPA under 7.

Also, that was five years ago. In 8 NFL seasons, Bradford has 7 4th quarter comebacks and 8 Game-winning drives. He's brought his team back from a deficit in the 4th quarter once since 2013 (32 starts).

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's brought his team back from a deficit in the 4th quarter once since 2013 (32 starts).

Telling stat regardless of what teams he played for. Pretty sure Plummer had more than one. Of course Plummer mostly dug the holes himself before making those 4th qtr comebacks:)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Telling stat regardless of what teams he played for. Pretty sure Plummer had more than one. Of course Plummer mostly dug the holes himself before making those 4th qtr comebacks:)

In 82 starts as a Cardinal, Plummer had 20 4th quarter comebacks and 30 game-winning drives.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
If nothing else, Bradford buys Rosen a bit more time to get a feeling for the pro game.

Never liked Bradford, mostly because he was on the Rams. But when you throw Rosen into the equation, it made sense to bring in a vet in the mold of Bradford. Season opener was really bad, but remember Bradford was rested a lot during TC and didn't play much in preseason. He was very rusty. Even though I never liked him, usually his accuracy in the intermediate range is outstanding.

Let's hope Bradford can give us some more weeks before his knee crumbles. Then we can turn on the Rosen show! Exciting times...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also, that was five years ago. In 8 NFL seasons, Bradford has 7 4th quarter comebacks and 8 Game-winning drives. He's brought his team back from a deficit in the 4th quarter once since 2013 (32 starts).

my lord, those numbers are beyond pedestrian.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's be fair though. The majority of his career was with Jeff Fisher and Steve Spagnuolo and a host of nobody OC's and personnel. It doesn't excuse everything but it does make a difference. Look at Goff in '16 compared to '17. Sadly, I think Bradford is back in that type of situation. There is some top talent on the Cardinals but McCoy's scheme and playcalling is atrocious. I don't see how he's going to put Bradford in a position to succeed. Bradford has warts but he can be productive if used properly. McCoy won't be able to do that IMO.

I'm not saying he's terrible, but he isn't good and he never has been. He's an average to below average QB. People looked at that wild completion percentage season and convinced themselves that he was a stud, but even in that year, he couldn't rack up yardage, he didn't get to the endzone nearly as often as his peers, the Vikings had a sub par passing game overall and a losing season.

At his best, he is a poor man's Alex Smith, in less than ideal conditions... he's right handed Matt Lienart.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score

Because QB's bombing under Fisher is well documented, especially the last 5 years of his coaching career. Bradford didn't have a huge YPA but it does show that he can be relatively productive in a less than ideal offense without any stud personnel. I agree that his 6.8 ypa was low but his 5.3 TD% was good and his 1.5 INT% was very good. Once he got more comfortable in the system and with his receivers(such as they were: Austin, Givens, Bailey, Pettis, Quick...what a corps<barf>) he was sprinkling in more deep shots and definitely taking more shots into the end zone.

Coming off the knee in '14 he started slowly for the Eagles with no training camp and no acclimation. Similarly he started slowly for the Vikings but he got an offseason and 2nd year in the system and then started off hot. I think he's only had 2 seasons where he was returning to the same offense, personnel and OC and both times, he looked to be much improved but then got hurt each time.

Like I said, Bradford's got his warts and his legacy is probably already set but him starting slowly for a new team is just SOP, not him being washed up. He obviously won't get too long with the Cardinals so I don't see how he's going to reach a comfort level with them and then it's rinse and repeat. He'll have to start over all over again. He's got plenty of money but as a QB I feel kind of bad for him. Was drafted by one of the worst teams ever, rarely has any continuity around him and whenever he's had a decent situation he then gets hurt. Journeyman starter isn't the worst legacy to have but his injuries and circumstances have been unfortunate IMO.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Weird fact: Weird to me anyway. I just realized it yesterday.
This will the first time that Bradford will be facing the Rams since being traded away in 2015.

Despite the Rams playing Philadelphia and Minnesota several times since the trade, Bradford never started due to injury or the timing of Bradford either being the backup or getting moved/traded again.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned all the drops? I wasn't counting but by the end of the game I thought about it and there were about 7 drops by DJ and company including a catchable(not a great pass) TD by the TE ASJ.

I think it's only fair when focusing on the QB's stats to mention that he didn't have much help from his receivers. Bradford wasn't dialed in by any means but he wasn't launching scuds either IMO. Bad pass blocking, bad run blocking, bad catching, pre snap penalties...the whole team contributed to that loss.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned all the drops? I wasn't counting but by the end of the game I thought about it and there were about 7 drops by DJ and company including a catchable(not a great pass) TD by the TE ASJ.

I think it's only fair when focusing on the QB's stats to mention that he didn't have much help from his receivers. Bradford wasn't dialed in by any means but he wasn't launching scuds either IMO. Bad pass blocking, bad run blocking, bad catching, pre snap penalties...the whole team contributed to that loss.

From what I can tell, he only attempted 2 downfield passes the entire game. One was the long play to Fitz, the other was the pick.

Sure, I can also recall a few drops, the ones I remember though were passes in the flat that would have been for virtually no gain.

This is who he is. His high completion rate is a result of him throwing timid passes. It's why, as k9 pointed out, he's rarely able able to lead a team back from a deficit.

He isn't terrible, but he is a poor man's Alex Smith. A below average starting QB.