Waiting to reserve judgement by game five

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
New coaching staff, and with this comes a influx of changes. I really do not see how someone with any common sense say Wilks is a horrible coach at this moment. I can see why someone might say McCoy is too conservative and the problem, but jumping on Wilks on game one with no track record to compare is complete boulder dash. Keim has not drafted well in early rounds but this year's draft class looks like he learned a lesson and adapted. This OL does not suck, but maybe Bradford is too skittish because the guy had time and seemed to be playing with a limited pocket clock. Our DC has never been a DC, give the man some time to not only coach but like Wilks see what we really freaking have after the first real NFL competition. Maybe Wilks does not work out and maybe Bradford is not the short term route to keep Rosen back as he serves as a student, but this forum right now is acting like a generic template of the typical fan who has no patience. Worst game ever, worst coach ever, after game one... really

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all due respect Jetstream, this team is in big trouble. The sad part is Keim is entrenched in this years decisions. If ( and I believe it will) things go completely south, what do we do?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What seemed so disheartening was all of the team's flaws were on full display. There's no easy fix for any of them, it appears. LB is totally over matched, receivers??

Pathetic effort today which I don't think many of us expected. Play hard and lose, yeah. No show was very hard to stomach.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That was the worst showing I’ve ever seen.
I was at the game, we had 2 plays to cheer for....the rest was a stomping of our beloved bird.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is absolutely too early to make any definitive judgments about the team as a whole. However, there were enough glaring signs to cause legitimate concern about what is to come.

The team looked thoroughly unprepared and lifeless in the first game of the season. The coaches appeared to be incapable of making adjustments, as the Skins offense and defense repeatedly attacked the same areas of the field with similar plays. Problems about the team identified months ago by the semi-casual fan appear to be legit. Our GM just got out of jail and spent the majority of the preseason on suspension. Our OC pretty much lived up to the exact same stereotype that we all kept convincing ourselves wasn't true. Maybe the adjustments will come, and a win against the Rams would go a long way in erasing the memory of today's debacle. But these are not problems every team with new coaches and schemes go through. They are potentially systematic deficiencies at all levels of the organization.

Most teams at least have a brief honeymoon period after new coaches and schemes are installed. This team looked like it had already given up on multiple occasions today. In their opener. At home. Playing for a guy coaching the first game of his career. That is definitely not the look of a team headed in the right direction. And the astounding lack of starting-level players at some positions is not the look of a GM who has a grasp on what it takes to build a contender 6 years into his tenure.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like the overall thought process. Give the team some time, I think they are better than they showed this week.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I like the overall thought process. Give the team some time, I think they are better than they showed this week.
I would like to think the same as well.

But, the alarming part of yesterday was they got beat badly on both sides of the ball. Badly!!! Two alarming things continued from preseason as well, poor run defense & terrible abilities by the offense to convert 3rd downs.

I’ve seen talented NFL teams fail miserably before during a season for whatever reason. I also think sometimes we as fans overestimate they actual talent our team has as well.

I think this team is in deep deep trouble, based on the schedule that lies ahead.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Absolutely Jet. People are led by emotions good or bad. Yesterday was bad, no doubt. But its way to early to call the season. Just about every facet of the game suffered yesterday. I dont think that'll happen in the same game again? Give it some time peeps.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The tough part is that if you bring in a new GM, you want to let him pick his own coach. That may not be fair to Wilks, but you may still have to let him go along with Keim.

I'm not saying it will or should happen, but you can't let coaching/gm ruin the development of your franchise QB.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’m not saying Wilks is a bad HC or going to be one, but I’m not a fan either.

He seems way too conservative, thus the hire of MCCoy, and you can’t be that way in today’s NFL.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not saying Wilks is a bad HC or going to be one, but I’m not a fan either.

He seems way too conservative, thus the hire of MCCoy, and you can’t be that way in today’s NFL.
It was a bad hire.

You can say it brother, because it’s true.

He hired a pathetic OC which will lead to a awful debut season.

It might be his only season too if Keim is fired & the new GM wants a new HC.

We should’ve went after a young-minded OC like DeFilippo as the HC. It can still happen.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It was a bad hire.

You can say it brother, because it’s true.

He hired a pathetic OC which will lead to a awful debut season.

It might be his only season too if Keim is fired & the new GM wants a new HC.

We should’ve went after a young-minded OC like DeFilippo as the HC. It can still happen.
I was on the Shurnur bandwagon but would’ve been okay with DeFillipo.

Today’s game is offense. That’s also why I thought Vrabel was an awful choice. At least Wilks coached a top notch defense. Vrabel led Houston to the bottom, or near the bottom, in many categories.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with you Jetstream. I give every team through the 4th regular season game to show their true identity good or bad.

With that said, this is a rebuilding year and based off what we saw on opening day I'm not expecting to see many wins this season. What I do want to see is improvement as the season progresses.

Reaction score
I was on the Shurnur bandwagon but would’ve been okay with DeFillipo.

Today’s game is offense. That’s also why I thought Vrabel was an awful choice. At least Wilks coached a top notch defense. Vrabel led Houston to the bottom, or near the bottom, in many categories.

Shurmur's Giants didn't look that great yesterday.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm only giving them until game 3. After what I saw Sunday it's NOT very likely we beat the Rams. If we play bad against the Bears I won't be holding my breath for success. The only thing that might allow me to get my hopes up after that would be major personnel changes (ie: Rosen, WRs, FA signings on D, etc). We were able to find some players on D with enough tread left for one more season before, and while I think our holes are too big that such stopgaps would work this year, there is a chance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose