2018-19 English Premier League

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Brighton's squad play tough. If Man United played with that type of purpose they might challenge for the PL trophy.

Yep, though there are a lot of new signings that they haven't gotten integrated into the team yet, so it will be interesting to see how the next few weeks unfold.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yep, though there are a lot of new signings that they haven't gotten integrated into the team yet, so it will be interesting to see how the next few weeks unfold.
very true. another big weekend ahead. about to watch wolves v city

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tottenham, but I've only been following for a few years.

Sadly, I think I failed at picking a "football" team. I've always been a hometown guy, but there is no hometown of European sport, I finally am a fan free agent, I should have gone for a front runner... but I screwed up and picked Tottenham, a club that is apparently good but never THAT good.

During the first few years I watched they and Arsenal were always the most interesting to watch... but probably because each team can lose or win any match they're in. They're also rivals so I feel icky wanting to root for both. I know their REAL fans back in England would be appalled at the idea.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Tottenham, but I've only been following for a few years.

Sadly, I think I failed at picking a "football" team. I've always been a hometown guy, but there is no hometown of European sport, I finally am a fan free agent, I should have gone for a front runner... but I screwed up and picked Tottenham, a club that is apparently good but never THAT good.

During the first few years I watched they and Arsenal were always the most interesting to watch... but probably because each team can lose or win any match they're in. They're also rivals so I feel icky wanting to root for both. I know their REAL fans back in England would be appalled at the idea.
You've only failed if you support arsenal.

edit: I don't think you can put a whole lot of concern into this topic if you are American. For me only recently (over the last 15 years) have EPL games become readily accessible. I started watching football before MLS started and in the states for me that was mostly international football. it's backwards compared to how the sport is in Europe especially England. The only thing that remotely compares in my experience is American football in Texas. fans follow their local town (school age/high school teams/college) and then some may or may not even follow the NFL. but it is engrained everywhere at every level. supporting a local club is at the heart of sport. If you go to a game in my hometown the entire city would be there on a Friday night. But if you live in America you can't really support a local football club unless you are a fan of MLS. I am not. with that said in reality if you like Tottenham you are a front runner because they are still one of the top teams in England even if they are not on the level of a handful of the richer clubs. They have certainly made record breaking strides over the last few years and have finally stepped out of the shadow of the 2 rich London clubs

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You've only failed if you support arsenal.

edit: I don't think you can put a whole lot of concern into this topic if you are American. For me only recently (over the last 15 years) have EPL games become readily accessible. I started watching football before MLS started and in the states for me that was mostly international football. it's backwards compared to how the sport is in Europe especially England. The only thing that remotely compares in my experience is American football in Texas. fans follow their local town (school age/high school teams/college) and then some may or may not even follow the NFL. but it is engrained everywhere at every level. supporting a local club is at the heart of sport. If you go to a game in my hometown the entire city would be there on a Friday night. But if you live in America you can't really support a local football club unless you are a fan of MLS. I am not. with that said in reality if you like Tottenham you are a front runner because they are still one of the top teams in England even if they are not on the level of a handful of the richer clubs. They have certainly made record breaking strides over the last few years and have finally stepped out of the shadow of the 2 rich London clubs

Well, being a tourchered fan all my life who has been 100% loyal to the local teams, this was my ONE CHANCE to be shallow, pick a team of my choosing who could bring me some hollow level of joy. In picking Tottenham I appear to have failed in that. They're not a true front runner, they're wealthy but not rich, they're good but not great, and seem to shrink in the big moments... so... maybe it was destiny.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Well, being a tourchered fan all my life who has been 100% loyal to the local teams, this was my ONE CHANCE to be shallow, pick a team of my choosing who could bring me some hollow level of joy. In picking Tottenham I appear to have failed in that. They're not a true front runner, they're wealthy but not rich, they're good but not great, and seem to shrink in the big moments... so... maybe it was destiny.
true...I would not blame you for rooting for Manchester United/City/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal. those seem to be the clubs that people from other countries will follow. TBF those clubs have a rich history and have reached out across the globe to all four corners. Spurs are starting to follow now. They have been in the top 4 now three years in a row. They did very well in UCL last season and they can again this season. They also have the best collection of domestic players compared to other top clubs. their players did very well in the world cup as well. So when it is all said and done there are a lot reasons to be proud of being a spurs supporter. Just mind the major mishaps with the new stadium. in typical spurs fashion it promised to be state of the art, but is behind schedule.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Oh please! Wah wah, I'm only following a Champions League team, wah wah! You don't know what tortured is.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Oh please! Wah wah, I'm only following a Champions League team, wah wah! You don't know what tortured is.
LOL....

On another note if West Ham beat Arsenal today (fingers crossed) they will keep my Arsenal relegation hopes alive for at least another week. and that would mean after this week Newcastle still have more points than they do!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
LOL....

On another note if West Ham beat Arsenal today (fingers crossed) they will keep my Arsenal relegation hopes alive for at least another week. and that would mean after this week Newcastle still have more points than they do!
Keep dreaming. Arsenal isn't that good, but they're not going to be relegated. LOL

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Keep dreaming. Arsenal isn't that good, but they're not going to be relegated. LOL
haha I have to kick them while they are down.

they actually looked ok against Chelsea last week. at times they looked like the same team as last year, but then again they could of gotten a point or even 3 if they could hit the target.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Tottenham was my first team, only because I was just getting into the EPL and made a business trip to London and saw them play at home (closest team playing). That was the year Leicester had their magical run and they captured my fancy, but they were a one year wonder. Then I found out Brighton was being promoted and their sponsor was my employer and I knew I had my team. I am even on the brighton fan forum (they thought it was odd I picked my team based on sponsor, they had never heard of that - but figured it was as good a reason as any for someone in the US).

I still have some Tottenham swag. They are my second favorite still, and they are the one who at least has a chance at winning the league (brighton will be happy to stay up each year).
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Brighton loses 1-0 to Liverpool in Anfield.. about as close to a moral victory as you can get

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Tottenham was my first team, only because I was just getting into the EPL and made a business trip to London and saw them play at home (closest team playing). That was the year Leicester had their magical run and they captured my fancy, but they were a one year wonder. Then I found out Brighton was being promoted and their sponsor was my employer and I knew I had my team. I am even on the brighton fan forum (they thought it was odd I picked my team based on sponsor, they had never heard of that - but figured it was as good a reason as any for someone in the US).

I still have some Tottenham swag. They are my second favorite still, and they are the one who at least has a chance at winning the league (brighton will be happy to stay up each year).
You must be registered for see images attach

So you got to go to the lane. I could not get tickets in the last year wish I tried harder. I was over there last week and the cranes are still watching over the new stadium. I am excited to go there, but I wonder how the environment will be. Has to be better than Wembley...

Lorenzo

Reaction score
forgot to mention wolves drawing w/city yesterday. they were close to getting all 3 points. great result!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dback Jon I hope you have a good day at work today(go easy on your boss). ManU looks to be in a bad way but it’s still early.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Brighton come back from 2 goals down to take a point. But, it was a good chance for 3 at home vs newly promoted Fulham.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Brighton come back from 2 goals down to take a point. But, it was a good chance for 3 at home vs newly promoted Fulham.

an interesting match that was. Both of those clubs have some promise this season. and how about wolves? they battled through a bad case of wondo-itis and keep West Ham at the bottom of the table!

Chelsea and Liverpool both battle through tricky matches to stay perfect and this afternoon spurs and Watford will be a battle.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
did not see many games this weekend due to a lot of ryder cup watching. but man city back to the top of the table now. Liverpool/Chelsea evened things out and now Arsenal making a charge. ManU are in shambles. and how about wolves?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose