Slightly OT: Most Devastating Missed FG in the History of Every NFL Franchise

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprised nobody's mentioned the Racker's miss on MNF against the Bears that led to the infamous Denny Green meltdown. I was at that game, surrounded by Bear's fans and lost sleep that night. Couldn't believe we lost that game. Leinart played great and the defense didnt give up a touchdown That was gut-wrenching.

That was the kick picked by the author of thw article in the OP.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
For me.....

It was Butler missing from the 10 yard line with two minutes to go and the Cards up 9 on the Vikings. With just over two minutes to go.

Of course, the Vikings manage to score a touchdown, kick a fg, and won the game. This is the only sporting event I have ever been to where something that happened on the field made me puke. I questioned my sanity for being a fan of this team. BTW, the Cards had 1st and goal at the 1 before the kick.

Does anyone else remember this game? It was in 1996 and was not televised in the Phoenix area. It was a home game at SDS.
We were there....

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
On the flip side one of the best....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If I’m not mistaken Big Red won 4 in a row to get in the playoffs just like that on buzzer beater FGs. Nedney & Jacke

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Us old timers will remember two Neil O"Donoghue gems, the 3 missed kicks (one of which was ~18 yards) at the Giants in the infamous 1983 Monday Night Football 20-20 tie game, and also the 1984 kick to end the regular season at Washington which would have put the Cardinals in the playoffs (albeit that one was 50+, but still that team would have made some noise in the playoffs if they got in).

Remember watching the skins game while overseas in the Military. I also agree that team would have made some noise in the playoffs.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Couple things. I don't hold Rackers responsible for the 2006 Bears game nor the 2009 Wild card game. Both instances, the pressure was on him to bail out the failings of the offense or defense in those games. In the Monday Night Meltdown, the Cards had a 23-3 lead and Denny Green decided to put the ball in his pocket and run the same play over and over again. Because of that, the Bears scored 2 defensive touchdowns then the coup de gras was kicking to Devon Hester when everyone watching that game knew if Hester had a chance for a return he was going to take it to the house. Then in the WC game, the Cards were bouncing GB all over the field but the defense let Rogers and company back into the game. Yes Rackers missed those kicks but those games we nowhere near on him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple things. I don't hold Rackers responsible for the 2006 Bears game nor the 2009 Wild card game. Both instances, the pressure was on him to bail out the failings of the offense or defense in those games. In the Monday Night Meltdown, the Cards had a 23-3 lead and Denny Green decided to put the ball in his pocket and run the same play over and over again. Because of that, the Bears scored 2 defensive touchdowns then the coup de gras was kicking to Devon Hester when everyone watching that game knew if Hester had a chance for a return he was going to take it to the house. Then in the WC game, the Cards were bouncing GB all over the field but the defense let Rogers and company back into the game. Yes Rackers missed those kicks but those games we nowhere near on him.

there's still no excuse for missing game winning FGs from 35 yards out... REPEATEDLY.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
there's still no excuse for missing game winning FGs from 35 yards out... REPEATEDLY.
OK. And it doesn't take a genius to see horrible coaching cost us the Bears game. Don't blame Rackers when Green would run 2 plays a series: James up the middle for no gain, James up the middle for no gain, short pass for 3 yards, punt/FG. Edgerrin James had 55 yards on 36 carries in that game. Why? Because Green decided to stop playing midway through the 2nd quarter and went a prevent offense. James had 25 carries that went 2 yards or less or a loss so to lay the blame at Rackers' feat is just plain lunacy.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This article is incredibly old. I’m sure there have been new failed kicks which would take the place for many of these teams.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. And it doesn't take a genius to see horrible coaching cost us the Bears game. Don't blame Rackers when Green would run 2 plays a series: James up the middle for no gain, James up the middle for no gain, short pass for 3 yards, punt/FG. Edgerrin James had 55 yards on 36 carries in that game. Why? Because Green decided to stop playing midway through the 2nd quarter and went a prevent offense. James had 25 carries that went 2 yards or less or a loss so to lay the blame at Rackers' feat is just plain lunacy.

when your job is to hit field goals... and you miss them REPEATEDLY at the end of games... AND they're inside 40 yard which should be automatic, you deserve a large part of the blame.

And Rackers missed TWO field goals in that game. 3/5, with a 39 yard game winner.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=261016022

When your kicker hits field goals at a 60% clip and blows a game-winner from inside 40 yards, he's just as much as failure as anyone else in that game.