THE Newcastle United FC thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's never really played there for us, except for a few games alongside Joselu during Rafa's very short flirt with the 4-4-2 during the long losing run last season. It didn't work then, but nothing really was. He might play well that way. He's better suited playing off the CB's shoulder, making runs, and poaching goals. Problem is, he's small and not terribly accurate, so he's not that good in the PL. He's dynamite in the Championship, though.

On a different striker topic, DCR, what'll it take to pry Ings off yinz? :D

I think Liverpool only want 15M or so. Definitely a good price in this market.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think Liverpool only want 15M or so. Definitely a good price in this market.

I don't think they'll get it. Only cost like 6 million, has been constantly hurt, and hasn't done much when he wasn't. I'm betting they hold onto him because they can't get that much, and hope he does well in cups to sell him for 15 or 20 in the winter. Either way--15, 20, or heck, 5--Cashley isn't stumping the money for him :(

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are holding out for 20. I think he goes to SHampton for around 15 with a couple more in incentives.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
They are holding out for 20. I think he goes to SHampton for around 15 with a couple more in incentives.

I don't think anyone stumps for that right now. Perhaps they loan him out and then sell later. How can anyone possibly shell out 14 mill more for someone who has done nothing but get hurt since signing? Don't get me wrong--he's a great guy and has, in the past, been a heck of a player. Just...that's way too much for way too risky a player.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
At least Newcastle got some defensive cover in by signing Fernandez. Still don't have a backup LB, still don't have a creative #10 midfielder, still don't have a top striker, still don't have anyone in central midfield to do a job if Shelvey gets hurt...basically, the Mags are a paper-thin squad who might do okay IF there are absolutely NO key injuries, and IF all the additions are brilliant. Otherwise, it's a pure relegation scrap.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone stumps for that right now. Perhaps they loan him out and then sell later. How can anyone possibly shell out 14 mill more for someone who has done nothing but get hurt since signing? Don't get me wrong--he's a great guy and has, in the past, been a heck of a player. Just...that's way too much for way too risky a player.

after saying this, it appears that SH are negotiating for Ings. lol They are far apart in valuation though. It isn't that much dough considering A) SH should be sitting on a mountain of cash after selling all of their players to us and B) The market has exploded lately.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least Newcastle got some defensive cover in by signing Fernandez. Still don't have a backup LB, still don't have a creative #10 midfielder, still don't have a top striker, still don't have anyone in central midfield to do a job if Shelvey gets hurt...basically, the Mags are a paper-thin squad who might do okay IF there are absolutely NO key injuries, and IF all the additions are brilliant. Otherwise, it's a pure relegation scrap.

Another report is out that you wanted Ragnar Klavan and the owners didn't give the funds again. No wonder why Benitez is furious.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Another report is out that you wanted Ragnar Klavan and the owners didn't give the funds again. No wonder why Benitez is furious.

Oh, he's not the only one Rafa was denied. There were six or seven--that were publicly discussed--that they actively didn't sanction. Who knows how many more there were behind the scenes. I mean, he wouldn't have been a great signing at 32 yrs old, AND the Mags got Fernandez (much better player), but still. Actually, Rafa might have threatened to walk if they didn't get a CB before the window closed. Imagine going into the season with only 3 senior CBs healthy and 1 senior LB period! Thankfully they did get cover at CB.

I'll have to look up to see if SH got Ings, and at what price.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look up to see if SH got Ings, and at what price.

20M with 18 up front. Goes out on loan for a year and then it is permanent. Weird since 'Pool is getting the money up front.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
20M with 18 up front. Goes out on loan for a year and then it is permanent. Weird since 'Pool is getting the money up front.

No, it's an initial loan with no fee, that becomes an obligation to buy next summer. The base fee is then 18 mill, with an additional 2 mill in add-ons based on performance. Liverpool ALSO added a 20% sell-on clause. I'm suspecting there may also be a clause that cancels the obligation if the Saints get relegated, but it doesn't say anything about it in the article.

Shrewd business by Liverpool indeed. The Saints must have been beside themselves in desperation to agree to it. Still, I was technically right--this IS a loan :D

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Joselu, nooooooo! God, do I hate Cashley. Rafa wanted to do his business EARLY in the summer. Instead, Cashley made him do the important part of his limited business at the END of the summer. Do you want Joselu starting? Because that's how you get Joselu starting. At least Muto and Rondon made the bench.

Sadly, Clark also starts. Too early for either Schar or Fernandez. Not that he's bad, but we don't have a CB that's great with the ball at his feet.

Ah well. Howay the lads! Let's beat (or at least draw) Spurs!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Fair play to Joselu for the goal--wide open, but credit for positioning--but damn, he injures himself to let it go out for touch over the end line? Continually kicks it to the other team? Ugh. Still, a goal should do well for his confidence.

Good ref work in this one. Really has control of the game. Losing Lejeune has really put the defense at sixes and sevens--got to get Schar and Fernandez up to speed STAT. Kenedy the star for Newcastle thus far. Ritchie really playing well. Shelvey hasn't gotten onto the ball well at all so far. Diame sucking. Bring on Ki and Rondon ASAP!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
A really, REALLY unlucky result. Newcastle definitely deserved at least a draw there. Not Spurs' fault, really, as you could see how tired they were in the second half. The Mags just got a bunch of unlucky bounces. And, as dynamite as Kenedy was today, lad, you HAVE to score there :)

Still and all, not the worst start, even with a loss. REALLY worried about Yedlin, even if he looked like crap today. If he's injured, it leaves them with 2 healthy outside backs.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
2-1 at the half. Newcastle had some good things going after spurs 2nd goal.
A really, REALLY unlucky result. Newcastle definitely deserved at least a draw there. Not Spurs' fault, really, as you could see how tired they were in the second half. The Mags just got a bunch of unlucky bounces. And, as dynamite as Kenedy was today, lad, you HAVE to score there :)

Still and all, not the worst start, even with a loss. REALLY worried about Yedlin, even if he looked like crap today. If he's injured, it leaves them with 2 healthy outside backs.
Well said Stout. What you said before the match was prophetic. Spurs looked well early, but after they scored the 2nd they looked fatigued. Kane and Eriksen in particular looked poor and lacked precision with the ball. both of them gave the ball away carelessly. aurier? as great of a ball that he hit on the goal....he has 3 or 4 poor efforts before he does something worthy of being on the pitch. Once Dembele came in they were able to somewhat kill the match by keeping the ball.

Newcastle deserved a draw and if they were more clinical maybe they have a chance at 3 pts. A great block by Vertonghen, but also very very lucky. Kennedy should have scored on his unmarked walk up. he let lloris off the hook with that heavy touch. and Yedlin looked like a non factor aside from his poor marking of Ali. I have to say they need to use him more in the attack to create goals and any type of long term injury to him could be problematic. hopefully he is not severely injured. glad that he was at least walking, but still looked gross.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
2-1 at the half. Newcastle had some good things going after spurs 2nd goal.

Well said Stout. What you said before the match was prophetic. Spurs looked well early, but after they scored the 2nd they looked fatigued. Kane and Eriksen in particular looked poor and lacked precision with the ball. both of them gave the ball away carelessly. aurier? as great of a ball that he hit on the goal....he has 3 or 4 poor efforts before he does something worthy of being on the pitch. Once Dembele came in they were able to somewhat kill the match by keeping the ball.

Newcastle deserved a draw and if they were more clinical maybe they have a chance at 3 pts. A great block by Vertonghen, but also very very lucky. Kennedy should have scored on his unmarked walk up. he let lloris off the hook with that heavy touch. and Yedlin looked like a non factor aside from his poor marking of Ali. I have to say they need to use him more in the attack to create goals and any type of long term injury to him could be problematic. hopefully he is not severely injured. glad that he was at least walking, but still looked gross.

Well said yourself, my friend!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Okay, I'm in direct opposition to Rafa with the team selection. I get that they payed well last season, but keeping the plodding Clark in at the back, the giveaway-happy Diame in at midfield instead of Ki, and keeping frickin' JOSELU in at striker with Rondon waiting in the wings is terrible! Not to mention going with Manquillo for the injured Yedlin instead of the young lad Sterry. Sure, Sterry's unproven, but Manquillo's only proven to be BAD! I'm really, really disappointed in this lineup, and really, really worried. Hopefully they prove me wrong and prove Rafa a genius again.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Jesus, is that the most pathetic half of soccer I've seen from Newcastle. I mean, just pathetic. I can't help thinking that the lineup is weighing in the players' minds--wondering why certain players who played like crap are still starting. If we weren't playing Cardiff, we'd already be down a few. And, gee, who could have anticipated Manquillo completely sucking like that?

Speaking of sucking, that ref is absolutely abysmal. Cardiff only fouled 3 times? In your effing dreams, ref. At one point they literally pulled and chucked a player to the ground right in front of him. No, nah, that's not a foul. They got two corner kicks after blatantly fouling and injuring a player. Nope, nah, not a foul. Then again, the worst miss for that sad excuse of a ref was not kicking Kenedy out, so I guess I should be thankful. No idea what was going through that moron's head at that particular moment. I get it, he was frustrated--can't really say ANY player, save maybe Perez, has had anything resembling a good half--but frustration is no reason to lash out like that, lad. Just ask Shelvey what happens when you do. I'm sure it'll be a retrospective 3-match ban, and one we can't afford.

Rafa, I'm looking square at you. If we only manage a draw or, more disastrously, we lose, it's all on your shoulders. Shame on you. Ring the changes at half time, and stop starting the schlups.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Second half is about to start. I just have began to watch.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Hoping for better viewing for you. 1st half was just ugly all around.
So far the red has been the most eventful thing. I don’t know that was a harsh foul although a tackle from behind it was.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Okay, first, heartbreak, because after we went down to 10 men, we were the better team. And, c'mon, it's a frickin' PENALTY. I'm quickly realizing that Kenedy is fool's gold. He's had a penalty and a 1-on-1 with a keeper this season, and zero goals. Unacceptable. I can't remember a telling or cunning cross he's put in yet. Clever on the ball isn't enough.

Pawson shouldn't ref another PL game again this season after that shocking performance. Our right back has to leave the game because of a crunching tackle that wasn't given as a FOUL, let alone a yellow card (absolutely was). His replacement gets SENT OFF for a yellow card offense. So, okay, that challenge is a red? THEN WHY THE fudge IS ARTER NOT SENT OFF FOR THE EXACT SAME freaking CHALLENGE? Oh, no, I'm sorry, those kinds of fouls are red card fouls for Newcastle, but only yellow card offenses for Cardiff. MY freaking BAD! And, I have to admit, he should have sent Kenedy off in the first half, and he didn't even see yellow. So he misses two sending offs, and gets a yellow wrong as a red. Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

He did finally start calling fouls against Cardiff in the 2nd half--hard to blame them for thinking they could continue beating up Newcastle players, given the precedence set in the 1st half--and he got the penalty call correct. That is not nearly enough to exonerate his atrocious performance. For as ugly as Newcastle and especially Cardiff were, the ref was BY FAR the ugliest part of an extremely ugly match.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Okay, first, heartbreak, because after we went down to 10 men, we were the better team. And, c'mon, it's a frickin' PENALTY. I'm quickly realizing that Kenedy is fool's gold. He's had a penalty and a 1-on-1 with a keeper this season, and zero goals. Unacceptable. I can't remember a telling or cunning cross he's put in yet. Clever on the ball isn't enough.

Pawson shouldn't ref another PL game again this season after that shocking performance. Our right back has to leave the game because of a crunching tackle that wasn't given as a FOUL, let alone a yellow card (absolutely was). His replacement gets SENT OFF for a yellow card offense. So, okay, that challenge is a red? THEN WHY THE **** IS ARTER NOT SENT OFF FOR THE EXACT SAME ******* CHALLENGE? Oh, no, I'm sorry, those kinds of fouls are red card fouls for Newcastle, but only yellow card offenses for Cardiff. MY ******* BAD! And, I have to admit, he should have sent Kenedy off in the first half, and he didn't even see yellow. So he misses two sending offs, and gets a yellow wrong as a red. Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

He did finally start calling fouls against Cardiff in the 2nd half--hard to blame them for thinking they could continue beating up Newcastle players, given the precedence set in the 1st half--and he got the penalty call correct. That is not nearly enough to exonerate his atrocious performance. For as ugly as Newcastle and especially Cardiff were, the ref was BY FAR the ugliest part of an extremely ugly match.
You are correct about the referee

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I am embarrassed, today, as a Newcastle fan. That was so ugly that all the Magpie nation should be hanging their heads. I get the desire to play defensive and try to counterattack, but the key word there is TRY. There was NO effort to counterattack. None. And it was Rafa's fault, 100 percent. I'm sorry, but I'm with the pundits on this one. You could see it, clear as day, right in front of your eyes. Whenever a player even THOUGHT about stepping 5 feet beyond their chosen mark, they froze in place and fell back.

There's staunch defending, then there's capitulating any hope of moving forward. Then, when Newcastle push forward and get an equalizer, I was SCREAMING at Rafa not to go passive again, because that would 100 percent deflate the side and lead to a winner for Chelsea. Hmm, gee, what happened? They went passive again, it deflated the side, and it led to a winner for Chelsea.

I love Rafa, I do. He saved us from relegation last year, and I understand what he was trying to do. It flustered Sari; you could tell from his post-match comments. And the bend-but-don't-break DIDN'T break. The idiot ref awarded a non-penalty to gift Chelsea a free, unearned goal. I get it. But, dude, NO. Just no, Rafa. You have to allow the players to actually play, or you WILL lose them. That's why there's rumors of a training ground bust up with captain Lascelles. It isn't sustainable. It is so demoralizing to your own players that you WILL lose them at some point if you try to do this game after game.

It's ugly days at Newcastle. Hopes were high after last season, surging to 10th. Ashley and his band of asshats put a stop to the good feeling quick like and in a hurry. The squad got weaker instead of stronger, while the starting lineup didn't improve--it pretty much held serve. Then Rafa has begun the season poorly as a manager, IMO, leading to 1 point out of 9, barely out of the drop zone, with Man City coming up next. The Mags will be SUPREMELY lucky to escape relegation again, even with Rafa.

Oh, and another total crap ref, though not as bad as last week. "Hey, Chelsea, have a free goal! Oh, and hey, Yedlin, it's cool to elbow people in the face! Go ahead and cross for that goal, mate!" The only saving grace is that those two horrific calls evened themselves out--one each to Newcastle and Chelsea.

Finally, Yedlin shouldn't get down on himself. He had to try to get that ball. If he didn't own goal it, Barkley was there for the tap in. He absolutely made the right play; it just didn't work out.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I am embarrassed, today, as a Newcastle fan. That was so ugly that all the Magpie nation should be hanging their heads. I get the desire to play defensive and try to counterattack, but the key word there is TRY. There was NO effort to counterattack. None. And it was Rafa's fault, 100 percent. I'm sorry, but I'm with the pundits on this one. You could see it, clear as day, right in front of your eyes. Whenever a player even THOUGHT about stepping 5 feet beyond their chosen mark, they froze in place and fell back.

There's staunch defending, then there's capitulating any hope of moving forward. Then, when Newcastle push forward and get an equalizer, I was SCREAMING at Rafa not to go passive again, because that would 100 percent deflate the side and lead to a winner for Chelsea. Hmm, gee, what happened? They went passive again, it deflated the side, and it led to a winner for Chelsea.

I love Rafa, I do. He saved us from relegation last year, and I understand what he was trying to do. It flustered Sari; you could tell from his post-match comments. And the bend-but-don't-break DIDN'T break. The idiot ref awarded a non-penalty to gift Chelsea a free, unearned goal. I get it. But, dude, NO. Just no, Rafa. You have to allow the players to actually play, or you WILL lose them. That's why there's rumors of a training ground bust up with captain Lascelles. It isn't sustainable. It is so demoralizing to your own players that you WILL lose them at some point if you try to do this game after game.

It's ugly days at Newcastle. Hopes were high after last season, surging to 10th. Ashley and his band of asshats put a stop to the good feeling quick like and in a hurry. The squad got weaker instead of stronger, while the starting lineup didn't improve--it pretty much held serve. Then Rafa has begun the season poorly as a manager, IMO, leading to 1 point out of 9, barely out of the drop zone, with Man City coming up next. The Mags will be SUPREMELY lucky to escape relegation again, even with Rafa.

Oh, and another total crap ref, though not as bad as last week. "Hey, Chelsea, have a free goal! Oh, and hey, Yedlin, it's cool to elbow people in the face! Go ahead and cross for that goal, mate!" The only saving grace is that those two horrific calls evened themselves out--one each to Newcastle and Chelsea.

Finally, Yedlin shouldn't get down on himself. He had to try to get that ball. If he didn't own goal it, Barkley was there for the tap in. He absolutely made the right play; it just didn't work out.
Yeah I have to agree with that. While the penalty was harsh for me you can’t say it wasn’t bound to happen. Then yedlins elbow was instant justice. Guirode and the other Chelsea defense basically gave up on the play without a whistle blowing.

The last goal was a weak call by the ref. But poorly defended set piece and if yedlin had not put a touch on yes Barkley had a tap in.

Yeah overall poor tactics by Rafa. That’s what you do perhaps in Stamford bridge but not at home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose