THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No maybe not but they are really playing with good spirit. That was not a fluke. they really went at arsenal and took those 3 points. Very impressive. I would be taking every shot you can at the gooners lol!

If Newcastle went out and bought a few good players it’s not beyond possible to move up in the table to flirt with that 7 spot next season.

Oh, the Mags are red hot. I think it says a lot about how confident I am in them right now that I didn't even blink when they beat Arsenal. Don't get me wrong--I loved it--but I kind of took it as eventual.

Man, if the Mags can secure a striker, a #10, and sign Kenedy (I'm taking it for granted we take the permanent deal option for Dubravka), and fill in the squad a bit, then I have no doubt Newcastle can challenge for a Europa League spot. As long as they don't lose any of their own stars, of course.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Oh, the Mags are red hot. I think it says a lot about how confident I am in them right now that I didn't even blink when they beat Arsenal. Don't get me wrong--I loved it--but I kind of took it as eventual.

Man, if the Mags can secure a striker, a #10, and sign Kenedy (I'm taking it for granted we take the permanent deal option for Dubravka), and fill in the squad a bit, then I have no doubt Newcastle can challenge for a Europa League spot. As long as they don't lose any of their own stars, of course.
true a lot of people would be interested in some of their players. shelvey in particular for me would be a fine addition on many teams. and I think spurs would rather have Yedlin to back trippier than aurier. but they never thought they would sell kyle walker. I hope Newcastle keep their players and make some additions in the front.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
true a lot of people would be interested in some of their players. shelvey in particular for me would be a fine addition on many teams. and I think spurs would rather have Yedlin to back trippier than aurier. but they never thought they would sell kyle walker. I hope Newcastle keep their players and make some additions in the front.

I don't know about Yedlin. I think he'll be good for the squad, and probably as a starter in a transition season next year, but I'm not sure about him starting long-term. He's young and might still develop, but he makes a ton of bad mistakes and still gets caught out of position. I think I cursed him when I overpraised him back during Newcastle's early season success :)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I don't know about Yedlin. I think he'll be good for the squad, and probably as a starter in a transition season next year, but I'm not sure about him starting long-term. He's young and might still develop, but he makes a ton of bad mistakes and still gets caught out of position. I think I cursed him when I overpraised him back during Newcastle's early season success :)
True about that in the games I’ve watched. He often looks confused for me. I think he belongs on a side where he has the green light to attack because that is his strength. Last year at Norwich for example he was great because he was pressed forward almost the entire match. But he would be a bench player on a lot of mid to upper sides.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
All three new PL teams this year survive for another year. Seems pretty certain Swansea will go down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Shelvey could do no wrong last night. Aside from just missing a goal I Only saw one or two passes that he didn’t place on a platter. I have a feeling clubs will be coming to poach him. Newcastle need to add some players.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Shelvey could do no wrong last night. Aside from just missing a goal I Only saw one or two passes that he didn’t place on a platter. I have a feeling clubs will be coming to poach him. Newcastle need to add some players.

He's been incredible, no doubt. Newcastle should definitely be adding and not subtracting--well, there's plenty of dead wood to be sold off, some of which will bring big money (hope Mitro has a huge WC)--but otherwise let's PRAY Ashley's no moron, and gives Rafa what he wants to stay.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been incredible, no doubt. Newcastle should definitely be adding and not subtracting--well, there's plenty of dead wood to be sold off, some of which will bring big money (hope Mitro has a huge WC)--but otherwise let's PRAY Ashley's no moron, and gives Rafa what he wants to stay.

I don't think Shelvey goes anywhere. I don't think he can start for a top 6 side so the rest is lateral.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I don't think Shelvey goes anywhere. I don't think he can start for a top 6 side so the rest is lateral.

It depends on the side. He could work in Liverpool, setting all those speedsters free, but it is a crowded midfield there. He could probably start at Spurs. Man U wouldn't start him, nor would Man City. I pretty much agree with you, and that's a good thing, him staying at Newcastle :)

You know what teams would absolutely thrive and go top 6 with him? Leicester City and Burnley. They love the long ball and have strikers that are good dealing with them. Shelvey + Vardy = goals!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on the side. He could work in Liverpool, setting all those speedsters free, but it is a crowded midfield there. He could probably start at Spurs. Man U wouldn't start him, nor would Man City. I pretty much agree with you, and that's a good thing, him staying at Newcastle :)

You know what teams would absolutely thrive and go top 6 with him? Leicester City and Burnley. They love the long ball and have strikers that are good dealing with them. Shelvey + Vardy = goals!

He came from Liverpool and we didn't want him anymore. No way he starts at Spurs.

He might as well stay where he is at if he isn't going to start. Unless he wants to go somewhere like Milan or Schalke...

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Leicester does make sense. So does staying At Newcastle. I think he would fit at spurs. You saw how the pairing looked with sisoko and wanyama....

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
This was to funny not to post, but I don't want to be a dick and post it in the Sunderland thread, so here goes:

If you kill yourself it’s suicide.
If you kill someone else it’s homicide.
If you get relegated 2 years on the bounce it’s Wearside

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Newcastle taking Chelsea behind the woodshed when the Blues were the team with something to play for coming in

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Newcastle taking Chelsea behind the woodshed when the Blues were the team with something to play for coming in

Absolutely fantastic win. It reminded me of the 5-1 win over Tottenham on the last day, when Newcastle were already relegated, and Spurs were playing for 2nd place. The Mags did it with 10 men, no less!

Jabba the Ashley once again came out with some empty words after the game. Well, Rafa knows by know that words are wind, and he wants contracts with assurances. And Ashley had damn well better give it to them.

Who would have thunk it, Newcastle making top 10 with this squad. Rafa is the manager of the year! Okay, Dyche did more with less money than Rafa, but he had a better PL squad to start with :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newcastle should be proud of their season considering how they started. Thanks for whooping Chelsea even if it wasn't necessary for us.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Newcastle had a great season. They defeated manU, arsenal, and Chelsea at home. They drew with Liverpool at home and had respectable showings at home with spurs and city. If they can keep Rafa/add a goal scorer or two they could be a player next year.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Ah, a new season, a new relegation battle. Jabba the Ashley (or Ashley the Hutt, take your pick) is refusing to release ANY funds that Rafa doesn't generate first, and not even all of those--so much for the "Rafa can have every penny generated by the club," especially given all the TV cash. Thus far the net spend is well into the negatives, while newcomers Wolves and Fulham vastly outspend Newcastle. The Magpies effectively have a WORSE roster offensively--Merino is gone and Ki is in--than in the 2nd half of the season. And, defensively, MAYBE they managed to tread water, but now that Lejeune is out injured for half the season (with no hope of replacement), our defense will suffer, even with Schar's addition.

Ashley's a joke, and has been for most transfer windows, but he's reached a new low. Far less output than even last summer's meager dealings, with a squad that fought relegation almost the entire season, that didn't get better or add any real offensive cutting age, while the teams around Newcastle did solid business = disaster. I won't be shocked to see them stay up--this is Rafa we're talking about here--but they won't touch 10th place again, let alone better it.

Edit: Oh, and Newcastle got their socks knocked off v Braga, of all teams. 4-0 I think it was. Yeah, troubled times ahead.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Now Ashley has his hatchet man out there spreading lies in the media. He's such a disgusting lump of an owner. Lie, fail to follow through on promises, bash his manager in the press when he gets fed up with it. Wash, rinse, repeat.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Bringing in Rondon is good business, IMO. He'll thrive under Rafa--if he can manage to get service. I'm not sure that'll be the case. I'm thinking maybe Muto slots in at the 10 spot over Perez, eventually. That could work. Of course, it's only a loan deal, so even if Newcastle survive, the squad will be thin--Kenedy is only on loan too--but the future is now, as it were, and the Mags needed Rondon desperately. Now if they can shift Joselu and bring in Ings, I'll finally be confident of the striker situation. STILL need a creative midfielder (Shelve's our only one), a left back, and a center back (because of Lejeune's injury), but this is a solid striker step.

Good luck to Dwight Gayle at the Hawthornes. I like the lad, but he's just not a PL striker. He's an awesome Championship striker, so he should do well there. And, losing their first game against Bolton, the Baggies can use him. Heck, Newcastle lost against Fulham AND THEN against Huddersfield to start life in the Championship and still won it, so the Baggies may still bounce right back up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bringing in Rondon is good business, IMO. He'll thrive under Rafa--if he can manage to get service. I'm not sure that'll be the case. I'm thinking maybe Muto slots in at the 10 spot over Perez, eventually. That could work. Of course, it's only a loan deal, so even if Newcastle survive, the squad will be thin--Kenedy is only on loan too--but the future is now, as it were, and the Mags needed Rondon desperately. Now if they can shift Joselu and bring in Ings, I'll finally be confident of the striker situation. STILL need a creative midfielder (Shelve's our only one), a left back, and a center back (because of Lejeune's injury), but this is a solid striker step.

Good luck to Dwight Gayle at the Hawthornes. I like the lad, but he's just not a PL striker. He's an awesome Championship striker, so he should do well there. And, losing their first game against Bolton, the Baggies can use him. Heck, Newcastle lost against Fulham AND THEN against Huddersfield to start life in the Championship and still won it, so the Baggies may still bounce right back up.

I think Gayle is better suited out wide. You would know more than me though as I have only seen him maybe a half a dozen times.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I think Gayle is better suited out wide. You would know more than me though as I have only seen him maybe a half a dozen times.

He's never really played there for us, except for a few games alongside Joselu during Rafa's very short flirt with the 4-4-2 during the long losing run last season. It didn't work then, but nothing really was. He might play well that way. He's better suited playing off the CB's shoulder, making runs, and poaching goals. Problem is, he's small and not terribly accurate, so he's not that good in the PL. He's dynamite in the Championship, though.

On a different striker topic, DCR, what'll it take to pry Ings off yinz? :D

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score

Last night Gayle came off the bench, was a live wire (WBA article's words), and sparked the comeback for a draw...except it should have been a win, but he hit the post twice, failing to score.