Father time vs LeBron

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The old cliche that father time is undefeated is tired, but true nonetheless. When do players hit the wall and start to decline?

Typically players will succumb to injuries that will bring on a premature decline in their early 30s if not sooner, but there are great players who overcome the odds and play well into their 30s before they decline.

If you look at recent examples you'll see that Nash, Kobe, Shaq, Garnett, and Pierce all saw meaningful declines in their advanced stats in their mid 30s.

Which bring us to LeBron. He's a genetic freak but he'll be 34 this December. He has played so many playoff games and has shoulder much of the burden during those runs especially in Cleveland.

How long before he hits the wall and all of the mileage catches up to him? Hopefully it happens right after inking a long contract with LA.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's so big and strong that his age doesn't seem to hinder him that much. I see it already happening whereas he doesn't dunk it or go flying in to score. He uses his touch more than ever. I'd say he has 3 more years.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's impossible to say. "Father time" tends to creep up out of nowhere. Not to mention guys with his type of mileage tend to deal with a lot of nagging injuries later in their career.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I've been telling my coworker, who happens to be a CAVS fan that Father Time is undefeated and that LeBron is about to decline for the past three years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's played in 168 playoff games over the last 8 years, in which he made it to the finals each outing. That's over 2 full regular seasons plus all of the regular season games everyone plays in. Playing 10 seasons in the amount of time everyone played 8 has to catch up with him soon. I think the streak ends this year, allow him some rest and people will overanalyze whether he's done or not before the following season starts. I think he'll get some rest and return to form for another 2 or 3 years. I think he'll fall off like Kobe did at the end. 1 injury will essentially end everything, like Kobe's achilles.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He will retire when he passes Kareem on the scoring list. Even in 3-4 years it’s hard to imagine him not being at least an above-average player.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Undoubtedly, he will hang on until he gets the scoring record. The big question is how many more years before he starts to notably fall off. Assuming no serious injuries, I would say 35 or 36 is when he will start to be noticably less dominant, with probably a steep decline by 37 onward. Basketball isn't like baseball - guys pretty much always fall off steeply after their mid-30s, regardless if they are extraordinary physical specimens or not. More than anything else, all that jumping is just too hard on the legs, and injuries and joint fatigue are inevitable.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LeBron's durability is the most underrated aspect of his career. He is just amazingly durable, and he does not seem to be slowing down. He could play for many years more barring some injury.

If I had to guess the way it would work with LeBron is that he has some sort of injury that suddenly changes thinks ala Kobe.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's hilarious listening to hysterical Bickley crying about how suns fans should feel defeated if lebron goes to the lamers.... If he was 24 ready to dominate for a decade then yeah, but he'll be 34 in decemebr. He's got at most 2 years at a dominant level.

I could not care less... Actually only thing I care about is he will take away an all star spot, makes it harder for booker to make it. But other than that, warriors are winning the next 3 titles, why would suns fans care what lakers are next couple years.

I'm looking out for which teams out west we need to compete against 3 years down the line.

I would dislike it more if lakers keep all their young players and sign 28 year old kawahi next summer. I'm actually rooting for them to make the kawahi trade this summer and deplete most of their young assets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hilarious listening to hysterical Bickley crying about how suns fans should feel defeated if lebron goes to the lamers.... If he was 24 ready to dominate for a decade then yeah, but he'll be 34 in decemebr. He's got at most 2 years at a dominant level.

I could not care less... Actually only thing I care about is he will take away an all star spot, makes it harder for booker to make it. But other than that, warriors are winning the next 3 titles, why would suns fans care what lakers are next couple years.

I'm looking out for which teams out west we need to compete against 3 years down the line.

I would dislike it more if lakers keep all their young players and sign 28 year old kawahi next summer. I'm actually rooting for them to make the kawahi trade this summer and deplete most of their young assets.

I can't remember anything I have learned from Bickley.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't realize he was pushing that sort of narrative. That's another reason why it's not worth listening to him. I know someone said he wasn't a homer and that's true but it's only true because he's clueless. He tries saying how Suns fans should feel all the time and it's typically so far off that it's not even funny. I remember last offseason he was a big supporter of the Kyrie trade. He even said it didn't matter if he agreed to an extension. I think he wanted the Suns to trade Bledsoe, Jackson, and a pick or two for Kyrie, which would have been too much on it's own but especially since he said he wouldn't sign an extension.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember anything I have learned from Bickley.

I've learned to ignore his "reporting" and to avoid the station he's on whenever his show is happening. Also to avoid his pieces on AZCentral and the Republic. He's good for a laugh, sometimes. Typically he's just infuriating. He's so far off on most things that it's a wonder how he's kept a job in the Phoenix sports media scene for so long.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've learned to ignore his "reporting" and to avoid the station he's on whenever his show is happening. Also to avoid his pieces on AZCentral and the Republic. He's good for a laugh, sometimes. Typically he's just infuriating. He's so far off on most things that it's a wonder how he's kept a job in the Phoenix sports media scene for so long.

I never read him at azcentral. He must have a market niche, but I'm not it. He tends to annoy me because I listen for new information.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LeBron often compares himself to fine wine.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Early in the game but certainly looks like

LeBron - 1
Father time - 0

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Regular Oil changes...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Lebron may get to the record earlier with LA. He will have to score more points to make LA a good team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lebron may get to the record earlier with LA. He will have to score more points to make LA a good team.

It seems like they assembled the team to put Lebron in position to score rather than be a playmaker. I don't know how that will turn out. He's capable of scoring 30+ every night but I think that will wear him down quicker. He was playing smarter in Cleveland, being surrounded by shooters and only needed to score for himself when he had the shot. It'll be interesting to see how he takes on a new role so late in his career. I'll give him some credit for gambling with his legacy by going to LA. He doesn't need a title this year or even next year but if he misses the playoffs then he'll get a ton of blame.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LeBron will need to be the best player in the NBA to get this mess of a Laker team to the playoffs... and he probably will, because he IS the best player in the league. But he will need to be the best player ever to get them to contend.

I know the Lakers struck out on big names this summer (besides LeBron, obviously), but surrounding him with a circus seems really stupid. This season is going to be the roughest on him since his first stint in Cleveland. I like Rondo... and that is about where it goes from "like" to "lol".

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Lebron scored 26 last night in a loss to the Trail Blazers. Against good teams he needs to score around 40 points for them to have a chance.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If LeBron were to continue his ppg average while maintaining his durability, he could have the scoring title in 4 years or so. He’ll have passed Dirk, Wilt, MJ, and Kobe by the end of next season most likely. Malone and Kareem will take a few more.

LeBron is already so far ahead in career playoff points that he’ll pass Kareem in combined points in theee years, and MJ within a few months.

But I also remember assuming Tiger passing Niklaus in majors was an inevitability. I don’t expect LeBron to have quite the crazy personal and athletic fall-off that Tiger did, but as everyone has been noting, things can change fast.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If LeBron were to continue his ppg average while maintaining his durability, he could have the scoring title in 4 years or so. He’ll have passed Dirk, Wilt, MJ, and Kobe by the end of next season most likely. Malone and Kareem will take a few more.

LeBron is already so far ahead in career playoff points that he’ll pass Kareem in combined points in theee years, and MJ within a few months.

But I also remember assuming Tiger passing Niklaus in majors was an inevitability. I don’t expect LeBron to have quite the crazy personal and athletic fall-off that Tiger did, but as everyone has been noting, things can change fast.
One injury can completely change the trajectory. It did with Tiger, it did with Kobe. Not that I am wishing for it, I am just expecting it based on averages.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose