Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who want to hear about ASU President Michael Crow's viewpoint regarding the hire of Herm Edwards and ASU sports.

There is much more at the link below.

President Michael Crow's vision for Arizona State athletics is simple: He wants each program to be its own West Point military academy. From the way they're structured, to the leaders they produce.

"I am a huge believer in contrarian approaches,'' Crow recently told azcentral sports, his first in-depth public comments on the December hire that drew criticism both locally and nationally. "I’m not a believer in just follow the same model. If you follow the same model, you’re just going to end up in the same place."

Along with Vice President of Athletics Ray Anderson, Crow wanted to create an ASU culture that would remain in place regardless of coach.

"And you can only do that in a new model,'' said Crow, referring to the pro-style model ASU introduced upon the Edwards hire. "Basically, the ASU football culture was built by Frank Kush and Frank Kush -- rest his soul – built that culture, but no one else could maintain that culture the way that we ran it. We just brought in a new coach, and then a new coach, then a new coach, then a new coach, then a new coach and it got further and further away from some of the aspects of coach Kush’s culture."

by Doug Haller, azcentral sports Published 1:38 p.m. MT March 10, 2018

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rm-edwards-right-coach-asu-football/410745002

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU adds Kevin Mawae as offensive analyst.

A day before the start of spring practice, Arizona State football announced the addition of former NFL All-Pro offensive lineman Kevin Mawae as an offensive analyst.

Mawae, a 16-year NFL veteran, played five seasons for first-year ASU head coach Herm Edwards.

"Kevin Mawae is one of the most respected voices in football," Edwards said. “He will add a tremendous amount of credibility and knowledge to our coaching staff. I am thrilled that I get the opportunity to reunite with one of my favorite players to coach.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...eman-kevin-mawae-offensive-analyst/417500002/

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I LOVE this!!!

Herm Edwards sends harsh message: ASU football may cut scholarship players

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rds-warns-cuts-scholarship-players/483571002/

“I told some guys who continue to stay in the training room, you’ve got no tape. I can’t grade you if you’re not on tape. All of a sudden, guys got well. It’s amazing. Sometimes these players think with 85 scholarships, I’m good. You’re not good. You’ve earned a scholarship because of your ability to be a student-athlete. It’s a combination of both. When you don’t meet that standard, there’s consequences. Consequences are sometimes tough. If I don’t apply those consequences, then I’m not doing my job as head coach.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I LOVE this!!!

Herm Edwards sends harsh message: ASU football may cut scholarship players

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rds-warns-cuts-scholarship-players/483571002/

“I told some guys who continue to stay in the training room, you’ve got no tape. I can’t grade you if you’re not on tape. All of a sudden, guys got well. It’s amazing. Sometimes these players think with 85 scholarships, I’m good. You’re not good. You’ve earned a scholarship because of your ability to be a student-athlete. It’s a combination of both. When you don’t meet that standard, there’s consequences. Consequences are sometimes tough. If I don’t apply those consequences, then I’m not doing my job as head coach.”

I'm glad you posted this. I was quite sure what to make of it.

Players do change teams but I was wondering if this type of language is a bit over-the-top... about losing scholarships as a consequence.

Frank Kush used to run players off at Camp Tontozona with tough practices but I think this might be something different.

I guess as long as players think they are going to the NFL... Herm can get away with it??

However, most players will never play in the NFL.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this. I was quite sure what to make of it.

Players do change teams but I was wondering if this type of language is a bit over-the-top... about losing scholarships as a consequence.

Frank Kush used to run players off at Camp Tontozona with tough practices but I think this might be something different.

I guess as long as players think they are going to the NFL... Herm can get away with it??

However, most players will never play in the NFL.

Who’s talking about losing scholarships? Herm said if they stay in school, they keep the money...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who’s talking about losing scholarships? Herm said if they stay in school, they keep the money...

I doubt many scholarship players will stay in school if they are not going to play football.

IMO, it's another way of cutting players from the team.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
This is done many places. Look how many players Saban brings in and then makes his cuts. This is just saying it up front.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
“Herm, for the 100th time, you can’t trade Manny Wilkins to Georgia for draft picks!”

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QB Blake Barnett will be transferring.

The quarterback’s departure could put ASU in a difficult position moving forward. Behind Wilkins and Sterling-Cole, ASU has only one other scholarship quarterback – redshirt-freshman Ryan Kelley. After Wilkins leaves this season, the Sun Devils will be down to two, which will make quarterback a priority in future recruiting.

Barnett will become the third scholarship quarterback to leave ASU over the past two years, joining Bryce Perkins (now at Virginia via junior college) and Brady White (Memphis.)

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ball-quarterback-planning-transfer/551012002/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU had three football players drafted in the 2018 draft. They are as follows:

Kalen Ballage
Christian Sam
Sam Jones

It came a year late for Todd Graham.

After firing Graham, Anderson said ASU needs to do better at evaluating talent during the recruiting process and developing those players once they're on campus. It's a program priority, a reason Anderson hired former NFL head coach Herm Edwards to replace Graham.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...n-ballage-nfl-draft-miami-dolphins/550908002/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The "fork" re-branding - along with all the associated butt ugly uniform designs - has really dragged down the aesthetic image of the program. IMHO.

We are in agreement. Sparky added something special to the ASU brand.

Bring it back.

:sparky:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU gets it first commitment for the 2019 class, QB Ethan Long.

Approaching his senior season at West Linn High in Oregon, Ethan Long sat down with his coach and came up with a list of 12 schools in which he had interest. ASU (his grandparents live in Scottsdale) and Nebraska were at the top. After visiting ASU last weekend, Long made his decision.

"A dream come true!" Long wrote on his Twitter page. "... The Arizona State coaching staff has brought a new energy and vibe to this University and has made the entire experience incredible."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...n-qb-ethan-long-commits-sun-devils/669412002/

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They had like 6 kids on official visits last weekend and ASU seems to be in the mix with a lot of kids looking to commit soon. Shame Conover & Liebrock are going out of state after visiting over the spring. Herm needs to hurry Arizona hard the next couple of years as there are A LOT of nationally ranked kids at Saguaro, Chandler & Hamilton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They had like 6 kids on official visits last weekend and ASU seems to be in the mix with a lot of kids looking to commit soon. Shame Conover & Liebrock are going out of state after visiting over the spring. Herm needs to hurry Arizona hard the next couple of years as there are A LOT of nationally ranked kids at Saguaro, Chandler & Hamilton.

Good to hear. I understand Arizona got a commitment from a top rated QB.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU gets a commitment from a 4 star rated QB in Joey Yellen. QB Ethan Long and Yellen are the Sun Devils only commitments thus far.

Yellen (6-3, 211 pounds) also had reported scholarship offers from Georgia, Oregon State, Colorado State, Washington State, Brown and San Jose State. 247 Sports ranks him as the nation's No. 13 pro-style quarterback. ESPN ranks him as the nation's No. 7 pocket passer and as the country's 125th overall prospect.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-qb-joey-yellen-commits-2019-class/689056002/

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yellen looks really good in his highlights. He started out at St. John Bosco's in Bellflower (right down the road from me), the same high school that Josh Rosen went to. Excited about him.

Nice to hear. I think the other QB recruit was more of an athlete.