Cousins to Vikings (nearly done per this source)

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This guy knows a lot about Broncos and NFL

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This sets us up for Bridgewater and Lamar Jackson, which is exactly what I want!

Say yes to Teddy. Just say no to Lamar jackson.

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol. I know it’s not a popular sentiment but I just don’t love the game or price tag of any of the free agent QB’s this year. I want a QB taken at 15 or earlier and I want them playing ASAP. I’m looking at free agency for a backup only and think Glennon or Gabbert are both more than capable of filling that role and will not cost much.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

This sets us up for Bridgewater and Lamar Jackson, which is exactly what I want!

I really don't like being the last out of the gate on the QB thing. I'm trying not to panic from reports that are coming out nearly 10 days before we can even get real answers on this, but man do I feel uncomfortable.

McCarron and Keenum aren't enough for the Browns and Broncos to skip taking quarterbacks. I've got visions of us desperately trading up for Josh Allen in my head and watching him do his best Derek Anderson impression for the next three years while we fail to replenish any of the talent on this roster.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well if we can't get Cousins, Keenum, or McCarron the price for Foles isn't going to be cheap

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...m-offered-a-second-round-pick-for-nick-foles/

That “respectable” trade offer the Eagles received for quarterback Nick Foles now has some specifics attached to it. Geoff Mosher of 97.5 The Fanatic reports that an unnamed AFC team offered the Eagles a second-round pick for the Super Bowl LII MVP.

The offer came earlier in the offseason, which implies it wasn’t something proposed lat week during the Scouting Combine.

So who made the offer? The Bills, Jets, Browns, and Broncos would be the primary candidates. If the Dolphins are souring on Ryan Tannehill, perhaps they would have thrown a dart in that direction.

The Eagles really are holding out. I would have thought they would of jumped at a 2nd round pick, but it looks like its going to be at least a 2nd round pick.

Maybe the price goes down over time if that bidder lands one of the other QB's or draft one, but this definitely confirms the Eagles are asking for the moon or near that.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Well if we can't get Cousins, Keenum, or McCarron the price for Foles isn't going to be cheap

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...m-offered-a-second-round-pick-for-nick-foles/

The Eagles really are holding out. I would have thought they would of jumped at a 2nd round pick, but it looks like its going to be at least a 2nd round pick.

Maybe the price goes down over time if that bidder lands one of the other QB's or draft one, but this definitely confirms the Eagles are asking for the moon or near that.

Jimm G went for a 2nd rd pick...wouldn't that be the ceiling?

Before you say SB winner, Trent Dilfer won the SB. I am not saying Foles is Dilfer but he is also not Jimmy G.

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really don’t want teddy or Jackson getting both would scare the hell out of me. Don’t want Rosen or Allen either. The injury risks freak me out with those two.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Before you say SB winner, Trent Dilfer won the SB. I am not saying Foles is Dilfer but he is also not Jimmy G.
Totally agreed. Foles ended up in a perfect storm situation, on a highly talented roster. He hasn't exactly proven that he can elevate the play of those around him. If we trade picks for Foles and think that a guy we watched stink up the joint for an entire season in our division is the answer, I'm going to be disgusted.

I'd sign Foles as a free agent, I'm just not giving anything up for him.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

For me, I was thinking 3rd or 4th rounder. With the 3rd being the compensatory.

Jimmy G could of gone higher, but for whatever reason the Pats only dealt with the 49ers. There's reports out there that team(s) were willing to give a lot more for him.

A 2nd rounder is very high for a guy like Foles, and I do like Foles. I wanted us to sign him as a backup last year. But he's not a sure thing. He's showed enough that he is worth the compensatory 3rd or our 4th round pick given our situation and how much we might be tempted to overpay for other options.

I was just saying that if the top 3 free agent QB's are gone, Keim might need to part with more if he really wants a vet QB that isn't damaged physically.

If someone offered a 2nd and they declined, they obviously want more. Either a higher pick (and it might have been a high 2nd) like 1st or a 2nd rounder and more picks.

The best time to trade for a guy imo is either now before FA or during the draft. If we wanted to trade and wait until after Cousins, Keenum, and McCarron sign elsewhere, the Eagles will see that the top end supply is gone and be in a better position.

The asking price could rise or another team might get into a bidding war if their QB gets drafted ahead of them. If say Miami wants a QB, and say they like Mayfield and he's gone, well they might then turn to try to trade for Foles.

Taylor and Tannehill are under control so we could try to trade for one of them, but the more other guys are traded for, the more the Bills and Dolphins would want for their guy.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Foles has proven himself...the only issue on his resume is with Jeff Fisher....and Jeff isn't the best of coaches.

I'd give a 2 for him, but that's it. Cards been fooled once by Philly, the risk is there and it's too big.

I can more than live with Lamar Jackson at 15 as our QB of the future. he's got the skills in his arm and legs...and his instincts during the games are off the charts.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Foles has proven himself...the only issue on his resume is with Jeff Fisher....and Jeff isn't the best of coaches.

I'd give a 2 for him, but that's it. Cards been fooled once by Philly, the risk is there and it's too big.

I can more than live with Lamar Jackson at 15 as our QB of the future. he's got the skills in his arm and legs...and his instincts during the games are off the charts.
He also had a middling 2014, along with not looking all that great for half of the games he played on the way to the Super Bowl.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Supposedly the Jets are looking into Teddy Bridgewater, and we cannot compete with offers, with the Jets.

Todd Bowles is at it again. :bang:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
For me, I was thinking 3rd or 4th rounder. With the 3rd being the compensatory.

Jimmy G could of gone higher, but for whatever reason the Pats only dealt with the 49ers. There's reports out there that team(s) were willing to give a lot more for him.

A 2nd rounder is very high for a guy like Foles, and I do like Foles. I wanted us to sign him as a backup last year. But he's not a sure thing. He's showed enough that he is worth the compensatory 3rd or our 4th round pick given our situation and how much we might be tempted to overpay for other options.

I was just saying that if the top 3 free agent QB's are gone, Keim might need to part with more if he really wants a vet QB that isn't damaged physically.

If someone offered a 2nd and they declined, they obviously want more. Either a higher pick (and it might have been a high 2nd) like 1st or a 2nd rounder and more picks.

The best time to trade for a guy imo is either now before FA or during the draft. If we wanted to trade and wait until after Cousins, Keenum, and McCarron sign elsewhere, the Eagles will see that the top end supply is gone and be in a better position.

The asking price could rise or another team might get into a bidding war if their QB gets drafted ahead of them. If say Miami wants a QB, and say they like Mayfield and he's gone, well they might then turn to try to trade for Foles.

Taylor and Tannehill are under control so we could try to trade for one of them, but the more other guys are traded for, the more the Bills and Dolphins would want for their guy.

rumors said the pats were offered a first and a second for jimmy last spring but billyB wouldnt let him go that cheap...when the boss said trade him, he just called the niners and said "Hey, gimme a second round pick for this guy"...and they said sure..

it is most likely the Foles drama plays out during the draft...after draft day the compensation for him goes down...unless a team ends up with just nobody... there is a possibility some QB needy team will call philly right before their first pick to try and make a deal....if they make a deal they pick lineman, if not, they pick a QB. The only monkey in the gears is , some articles had mentioned the team would let Nick have some say in where he went and I am sure many would want to negotiate a deal with his agent before they signed off on a trade...all that is hard to do on draft day..

I notice Philly does not have a second or a third round pick this year.... I might trade 47 and our compensatory third for him.... then use 15 on Vea or Nelson

Reactions: HGC

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Lol. I know it’s not a popular sentiment but I just don’t love the game or price tag of any of the free agent QB’s this year. I want a QB taken at 15 or earlier and I want them playing ASAP. I’m looking at free agency for a backup only and think Glennon or Gabbert are both more than capable of filling that role and will not cost much.

And if that qb isn’t ready to play ASAP you’re ok with Gabbert or Glennon leading this team next season?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
rumors said the pats were offered a first and a second for jimmy last spring but billyB wouldnt let him go that cheap...when the boss said trade him, he just called the niners and said "Hey, gimme a second round pick for this guy"...and they said sure..

it is most likely the Foles drama plays out during the draft...after draft day the compensation for him goes down...unless a team ends up with just nobody... there is a possibility some QB needy team will call philly right before their first pick to try and make a deal....if they make a deal they pick lineman, if not, they pick a QB. The only monkey in the gears is , some articles had mentioned the team would let Nick have some say in where he went and I am sure many would want to negotiate a deal with his agent before they signed off on a trade...all that is hard to do on draft day..

I notice Philly does not have a second or a third round pick this year.... I might trade 47 and our compensatory third for him.... then use 15 on Vea or Nelson
Wasn't that 1st and 2nd coming from the Browns though? That would make a big difference in whether or not BB would make a deal. If the Cardinals had made the same offer, I think it would have been accepted. My point being, it wasn't he price or the timing, it was the team involved.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
it is better to sign Logan Thomas and make him play QB than selling your farm, trading picks and a 50 million dollar guarantee to Nick Foles. :titanic:

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Cards went 8-8 last year even with the injuries and with Gabbert/Stanton at QB.

We don't need to trade the farm and Grandpa's truck just to get a QB talent who will bankrupt the Cards---when that same talent-level guy will be available next year.

Just aren't any QBs that you look at in this draft who you can say will be as close to a sure thing that there is in the draft (believe you can say that about RB Barkley and a few of the D players).

It's like Black Friday at Wal-Mart with everyone scrambling to be first in the door---and when you get the 'hot' toy for that Christmas you realize it is an expensive purchase that is no better than any other plastic junk on the shelf.

It won't be the end of the world if the Cards DON'T draft a QB this year---there are plenty of young vet QBs who won't bankrupt the Cards but who have plenty enough talent for us to compete that can be signed for way less than the cost of a major trade up in the draft.

When you are at #15, a trade up to the top of the draft is a major investment on a gamble. Don't see that any QB is this draft that justifies that large of a gamble.

At #15 we can get a top guy at his position, sign two reasonable priced QBs, live to fight another season. Nothing wrong with solving the CB2 position, adding a top WR, or plugging in Vita Vea in the middle of our D line for the next ten years.

Reactions: HGC

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So a 6th for Kizer and draft Lauletta in the 2nd round and maybe sign someone cheap as security valve.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It is amazing to me someone is going to spend around $30 million a year for a QB who has never won a playoff game, never lead the league in yards or TDs, has a career winning % under .500 and has been in the top 10 for fumbles by a QB 3 years in a row.

There is no doubt he is talented but I am not sold on him being a franchise QB.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
it is better to sign Logan Thomas and make him play QB than selling your farm, trading picks and a 50 million dollar guarantee to Nick Foles. :titanic:
But is that really the only option to acquire Foles? I'd certainly spend a little bit to get Foles over settling on Logan Thomas.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson