Federal documents detail sweeping potential NCAA violations involving high-profile players, schools

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-...g-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

Documents and bank records obtained in discovery during the federal investigation into the underbelly of college basketball detail in meticulous fashion the expenditures of prominent former NBA agent Andy Miller, his former associate Christian Dawkins and his agency, ASM Sports. They include expense reports and balance sheets that list cash advances, as well as entertainment and travel expenses for high school and college prospects and their families.

Yahoo Sports viewed hundreds of pages of documents from the years-long probe that had federal authorities monitoring multiple targets and intercepting more than 4,000 calls across 330 days, providing a clear-eyed view into the pervasive nature of the game’s underground economy.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's worse is these kids jeopardized college for a thousand bucks...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what the NCAA can do now, with the season ending soon.

Thamel basically says in the story what they suspect is going to happen is the NCAA will leave it up to individual schools right now to decide do we keep playing this kid, or suspend him. Not that the NCAA is ducking the responsibility but that the NCAA doesn't have all the information from the FBI so they would leave it up to the schools to decide based on what they've seen and heard, if they think the kid is eligible or not.

THat's why USC suspended Melton, and I would assume now they're making the same call on Metu(amd boatwright who is injured) and it's going to be up to other schools to do the same thing.

this goes back to derrick Rose and strict liability with memphis where they got nailed for playing a kid they had good reason to believe wasn't eligible. The NCAA will presumably use the same standard now, we don't know yet if these kids are eligible or not but if you play them and we find out later they were ineligible, you're strictly liable for playing them since they were publicly named as being involved.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Thamel basically says in the story what they suspect is going to happen is the NCAA will leave it up to individual schools right now to decide do we keep playing this kid, or suspend him. Not that the NCAA is ducking the responsibility but that the NCAA doesn't have all the information from the FBI so they would leave it up to the schools to decide based on what they've seen and heard, if they think the kid is eligible or not.

THat's why USC suspended Melton, and I would assume now they're making the same call on Metu(amd boatwright who is injured) and it's going to be up to other schools to do the same thing.

this goes back to derrick Rose and strict liability with memphis where they got nailed for playing a kid they had good reason to believe wasn't eligible. The NCAA will presumably use the same standard now, we don't know yet if these kids are eligible or not but if you play them and we find out later they were ineligible, you're strictly liable for playing them since they were publicly named as being involved.

Cleveland state better watch out Duke and Kentucky got caught paying players (impermissable benefits).I want tyhe NCAA to bring the hammer down on every body just like they did to Louisville.If you are cricifying Louisville then they better burn everybody else on the list.
In rteality i expect the NCAA too do little or nothing to the "Name " schools.I liked the part where the Kentucky player got a 36,000 dollar loan from the agent.Is that not impermissible benefit or what?
And now since Scumbag vermin Calipari got away scot-free after 2 schools had to vacate final four finishes the NCAA passed the rule that not knowing won`t work anymore.......Burn that scumbag .

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

Duke has done an internal review following today's news and found no eligibility issues regarding Wendell Carter, per release.

Of course not, And USC did one with a high profile lawyer and declared last week there were no issues, and it came out today that 2 of their best players took money from ASM sports, and somehow their extensive review didn't find it. Duke's thorough review was done in a matter of hours, and they came to the conclusion they wanted to, that Carter met with an agent but did nothing wrong.

What exactly is the "innocent" reason for a college bound freshman to be player to meet with an agent?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleveland state better watch out Duke and Kentucky got caught paying players (impermissable benefits).I want tyhe NCAA to bring the hammer down on every body just like they did to Louisville.If you are cricifying Louisville then they better burn everybody else on the list.
In rteality i expect the NCAA too do little or nothing to the "Name " schools.I liked the part where the Kentucky player got a 36,000 dollar loan from the agent.Is that not impermissible benefit or what?
And now since Scumbag vermin Calipari got away scot-free after 2 schools had to vacate final four finishes the NCAA passed the rule that not knowing won`t work anymore.......Burn that scumbag .

So far the kid that has the worst situation for UK is Bam Adebayo, he was almost certainly ineligible his loan happened before he enrolled at UK so he was ineligible from day 1 there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First fallout, San Diego State just suspended Malik Pope who was one of the players listed as having taken money

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's worse is these kids jeopardized college for a thousand bucks...

They don't want to be in college to begin with though. That's the whole issue, they need to get all the fake sham stuff out of the sport IMO. Let kids who don't want to go to college, get paid somewhere, and let kids who do want to go to college do so.

it's not going to be easy but they should either clean it up or just pay the players and get it all above the table so it's not like the current system.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don't want to be in college to begin with though. That's the whole issue, they need to get all the fake sham stuff out of the sport IMO. Let kids who don't want to go to college, get paid somewhere, and let kids who do want to go to college do so.

it's not going to be easy but they should either clean it up or just pay the players and get it all above the table so it's not like the current system.

Really would be good to go to the MLB system - draft out of HS, if you go to college, you are there for 3 years, minimum. Of course that means the NBA needs to expand their minors.

But at the same time, AAU needs to clean up its act as well

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really would be good to go to the MLB system - draft out of HS, if you go to college, you are there for 3 years, minimum. Of course that means the NBA needs to expand their minors.

But at the same time, AAU needs to clean up its act as well

I hate AAU ball I think they ought to blow it all up. Not only has it contributed to the influence of shoe companies, but it's destroying basketball IMO.

I ahve a friend who's a HS coach, his comment on AAU ball is "it teaches kids to NOT hate losing. it's a huge problem with AAU ball." they play so many games and the style of play is such that kids don't care if they win or lose, they're just playing to be seen. If kids are in that system long enough, they learn to not hate losing.

A generation of kids grew up valuing AAU ball over HS ball because that's where the scouts go since they can see more kids in one spot. I think the AAU influence on college basketball has been awful.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I feel bad for Louisville fans. They’re getting the worst of this because their HC is a sleaze ball. Even with the call girl/stripper thing I doubt their title would’ve been vacated had Pitino not had his own sexual scandal. It just ruined his credibility that he wasn’t aware of it. And still, they’re not out of the woods yet with the FBI.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel bad for Louisville fans. They’re getting the worst of this because their HC is a sleaze ball. Even with the call girl/stripper thing I doubt their title would’ve been vacated had Pitino not had his own sexual scandal. It just ruined his credibility that he wasn’t aware of it. And still, they’re not out of the woods yet with the FBI.

100% they got nailed because of the prior stuff that had gone on under Pitino. Also, remember the FBI story is saying that Pitino was directly involved in the Bowen payment story, so he and the Miami coach were the only 2 HC's alleged to have been directly involved in asking for a payment to get a player to their school.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Once again- the Grand Jury investigated the accusations of prostitution involving louisville recruits and DID NOT feel there was evidence to indict.Dancing girls/lap dances yes-sex was not proven or prosecuted .Also the bitch who wrote the book and her publisher had to settle with the women named in her book.So in effect the only screwing involved was by the bastards at the NCAA{ whose head man Chuck Emmertt knew about the real sex scandal at Michigan State for 8 years and did nothing}to LOUISVILLE.Yes Louisville screwed up but the penalties far outweighed the violations.So now with the FBI holding the goods on most every prominent program whyat will the NCAA do?
I fully expect some schools to get hammered while other get a slap on the wrist if anything.The NCAA has no ethics or sense of fairness.Just a bunch money ***** vindictive bastards.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Duke also did their own investigation yesterday and concluded everything is okay.Yeah right and the NCAA will say okay Coach K and Coach scumbag we agree with you.Prediction ;Duke might get a slap on the wrist and a scolding and bastards at Kentucky might get a slap on the wrist and told to be good boys.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Mark Emmert (NCAA Head ) has pretty much said too many violations to punish everyone so changing the rules a bit is needed.Well i have to say that is ********.Hammer everybody like yopu hammered Louisville.Once again NCAA already starts to show its inequality on enforcement and violations.Bunch hypocritcal ********.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The story on how Duke cleared Carter is hilarious. the mom told Coach K they met the agent through a friend, went to dinner with him, but they disliked him so much they both walked out, her and her husband, never ate a bite, and therefore he didn't actually buy them a free meal. And the NCAA having no other evidence since they don't have anything from the FBI yet, cleared him and Duke is crowing about how clean they are.

And of course they insist their son never knew about the dinner he was clean all along.

And not one mention by Jay Bilas when telling this story, about exactly why the parents of a HS senior basketball star would agree to have dinner wtih a guy they knew was an agent.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The story on how Duke cleared Carter is hilarious. the mom told Coach K they met the agent through a friend, went to dinner with him, but they disliked him so much they both walked out, her and her husband, never ate a bite, and therefore he didn't actually buy them a free meal. And the NCAA having no other evidence since they don't have anything from the FBI yet, cleared him and Duke is crowing about how clean they are.

And of course they insist their son never knew about the dinner he was clean all along.

And not one mention by Jay Bilas when telling this story, about exactly why the parents of a HS senior basketball star would agree to have dinner wtih a guy they knew was an agent.

Good catch.Jay Bilas used to have balls and tell the truth.Now he realizes who signs his paycheck and doesn`t want to kill the golden goose.I wouldn`t be surprised if the NCAA hasn`t told the ESPN and other networks that carry college BBasketball to not speak harshly or dwell on too long about the scandals or you could lose our approval of your announcers.Kind of a muffling of opnions.Would not shock me one bit.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good catch.Jay Bilas used to have balls and tell the truth.Now he realizes who signs his paycheck and doesn`t want to kill the golden goose.I wouldn`t be surprised if the NCAA hasn`t told the ESPN and other networks that carry college BBasketball to not speak harshly or dwell on too long about the scandals or you could lose our approval of your announcers.Kind of a muffling of opnions.Would not shock me one bit.

I just think he played at Duke so he's defending a Duke player by not making the obvious question, why were they there at all?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I just think he played at Duke so he's defending a Duke player by not making the obvious question, why were they there at all?

Yes he did play at Duke.Defending the old school by bellying up and not asking why.It also does not fit the ESPN narrative .Espn will not blast Duke,North Carolina or Kentucky.They will lead the rabble with their pitchforks and torches clammoring for the NCAA to destroy University of Louisville.Their talking heads gleefully rips Louisville during the recent mess and yet are fairly silent and much more low key about all the new info coming out.Bunch of hypocritical talking heads.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes he did play at Duke.Defending the old school by bellying up and not asking why.It also does not fit the ESPN narrative .Espn will not blast Duke,North Carolina or Kentucky.They will lead the rabble with their pitchforks and torches clammoring for the NCAA to destroy University of Louisville.Their talking heads gleefully rips Louisville during the recent mess and yet are fairly silent and much more low key about all the new info coming out.Bunch of hypocritical talking heads.

The Miles Bridges one is funny too. His mom allegedly got 400 bucks and Bridges a 70 dollar meal. MSU investigated, found no evidence that was true but surprise they found out his family members had in fact met for a meal with a different agent, without Miles knowing of course, so he had to donate 40 bucks to charity to get reinstated.

So they issued a statement saying he was completely cleared without ever mentioning the NCAA had in fact suspended him until he made that donation. So now we know his family met with another agent why would we believe them saying they didn't meet with Dawkins? They could be telling the truth but they already apparently met with an agent and didn't tell their son so why not 2 agents.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose