Malcolm Butler is a unrestricted FA

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Agreed.

Sounds like a team player, plus he is a good tackler.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

Sounds like a team player, plus he is a good tackler.
Maybe not. The rumor is he crossed the line and BB benched him. He is mostly remembered for the "big play" against Seattle when he came off the bench for that play.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was pretty bad this season. Would’ve done a better job than Rowe, but still pretty bad.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
He was pretty bad this season. Would’ve done a better job than Rowe, but still pretty bad.

Malcolm Butler struggled early like all of the Pats' defense, but then rallied pretty well. His PFF rating was 79.2, ranked as the #51 CB, 1 behind Patrick Peterson at #50. Eric Rowe's PFF rating = 42.9 (#108 CB).

According to sportrac, MB's market value is $13M per year. Obviously that was before MB's benching in the SB. MB fits SW's CB criteria because he's physical and can mix it up well in zones and man, but the Cardinals can't afford to pay 2 CBs in the $13-14M range...or 3 CBs if they retain HB (nickel CB) at a high salary.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
and they would have the shortest secondary in the league. :shades:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Malcolm Butler struggled early like all of the Pats' defense, but then rallied pretty well. His PFF rating was 79.2, ranked as the #51 CB, 1 behind Patrick Peterson at #50. Eric Rowe's PFF rating = 42.9 (#108 CB).

According to sportrac, MB's market value is $13M per year. Obviously that was before MB's benching in the SB. MB fits SW's CB criteria because he's physical and can mix it up well in zones and man, but the Cardinals can't afford to pay 2 CBs in the $13-14M range...or 3 CBs if they retain HB (nickel CB) at a high salary.
Sure he can tackle, but man he continued to look bad in coverage throughout the season. Give me a good coverage guy that’s a mediocre tackler over a mediocre coverage guy that’s a good tackler in a CB.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sure he can tackle, but man he continued to look bad in coverage throughout the season. Give me a good coverage guy that’s a mediocre tackler over a mediocre coverage guy that’s a good tackler in a CB.
yeah...if a dude cant cover he BETTER be able to tackle...or else he is selling insurance

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rumor;

"Got caught burning weed, missing curfew, argued with coaches when confronted, story is on it's way out to public."

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The rumor;

"Got caught burning weed, missing curfew, argued with coaches when confronted, story is on it's way out to public."

So he did all that between Tuesday and Saturday or over the course of 5 years he was with Pats?

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He is mostly remembered for the "big play" against Seattle when he came off the bench for that play.

You are probably right, Southpaw, but in some ways, I think that is a bit unfair to Butler. Others in this thread are right that he has not had his best season this year, but I don’t think it’s correct that he has been outright bad. If I am not mistaken he has also played the most snaps of any player on their defense, and obviously that says something about how their defensive coordinator, Matt Patricia, trust him and how Butler has been important to their success.

I think it would be fantastic to have Butler on the opposite site of Patrick Peterson. It probably won’t happen since Butler should get a huge contract this offseason, but then again, some teams have invested huge money into two or three players in the cornerback-group, so it’s not a crazy thought.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
day before the game is supposed to be the case

I hope you are not referring this tweet? The twitter account has Bellichick in the profile photo. jeebus.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You can't stay for sure that Butler not playing cost the Patriots the Super Bowl; but the shifting assignments, lack of continuity and utilizing inferior players hurt the defense.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
If this was the case (missed curfew, caught with weed and blew up on coaches)...why would the Patriots even dress him for the game? It makes no sense.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So he did all that between Tuesday and Saturday or over the course of 5 years he was with Pats?
Makes me wonder whether our new regime will have a different policy from the way BA dealt with players "who transgressed."

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If this was the case (missed curfew, caught with weed and blew up on coaches)...why would the Patriots even dress him for the game? It makes no sense.
In case of emergency (read injury) break glass to play Malcolm Butler.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sad that smoking weed is any sort of issue.
Disagreed. If you can’t abstain from something for a couple of days before a big moment in your life, that’s a problem. I’m in no way anti-weed, but smoking that all the time is like smoking cigarettes, it’s going to impair your ability to play at your best. It’s probably easy to assume that since he missed curfew, it wasn’t just weed, but partying and booze.

I can do that and go into the office the next day, but could I go play against the world’s best athletes in the Super Bowl? No.

I used to spend a lot of time partying with NFL players, and I know plenty of guys that could have been much better players if they weren’t smoking and drinking like it was their freshman year at ASU.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA