A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Hanks To Play Mr. Rogers. Here’s What We Know…

https://doyouremember.com/64982/tom-hanks-play-mr-rogers-heres-know

Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers. It was meant to be.

Hanks is attached to star as Fred Rogers from the pioneering children’s television series Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, in the film, ‘You Are My Friend’, Sony TriStar Pictures announced Monday.

You Are My Friend, with its title taken from one of Rogers’ signature songs, is inspired by a real-life friendship between Rogers and journalist Tom Junod. Junod is depicted as a cynical scribe who begrudgingly accepts an assignment to write a profile article on the iconic Mr. Rogers. He finds his life-perspective transformed in the process.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda tired of Hanks playing historical figures... ones usually polished up to be almost God-like heroes who can do no wrong.

It’s just too safe for my taste. He is an INCREDIBLE actor, but I’d love to see him stretch a little again.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Kinda tired of Hanks playing historical figures... ones usually polished up to be almost God-like heroes who can do no wrong.

It’s just too safe for my taste. He is an INCREDIBLE actor, but I’d love to see him stretch a little again.

What actor to you think should play Mr. Roger besides Hanks?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What actor to you think should play Mr. Roger besides Hanks?

I don’t really care. I’d just like to see Hanks start taking risks again, like he did in his heyday playing Gump/Andrew in Philadelphia.

Him just playing “Insert American Hero” here is boring for me at this point and he’s so damn good, that I want him to do great things.

I mean, even when he was playing a fictional war hero in Saving Private Ryan, it was a great character he created.

Want to see him do more of that again.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I agree... its way past time Tom played a serial killer. He needs to stop grabbing the low hanging fruit

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree... its way past time Tom played a serial killer. He needs to stop grabbing the low hanging fruit

Right? He’s a home-run hitter playing off a t-ball stand lately.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
True story about Mr. Rogers. The studios he worked at are here in Pittsburgh. One day, his car was stolen from the studio lot. This got plastered all over the nightly news, of course. The next morning, the car had been returned with an "I'm sorry" note attached.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True story about Mr. Rogers. The studios he worked at are here in Pittsburgh. One day, his car was stolen from the studio lot. This got plastered all over the nightly news, of course. The next morning, the car had been returned with an "I'm sorry" note attached.

That’s amazing.

Man... I have a horribly cynical voice in my head that just said it’s probably a good thing he’s dead, otherwise we’d probably be hearing #MeToo stories about him along with so many other fallen heroes.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
That's such an awesome story, I'm going to believe it whether it's true or not. I loved his show. Born in '74, so it was right in my wheelhouse.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
That’s amazing.

Man... I have a horribly cynical voice in my head that just said it’s probably a good thing he’s dead, otherwise we’d probably be hearing #MeToo stories about him along with so many other fallen heroes.
Please. Not everybody in TV/Movies is a monster.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Having worked at relatively high levels of both, I’ll just say you’d be surprised.
You’re not doing your industry any favors by making those comments. I’m not saying it behooves you to hide any dirt, but it certainly doesn’t help your biz to have more people think it’s even uglier than they imagine.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You’re not doing your industry any favors by making those comments. I’m not saying it behooves you to hide any dirt, but it certainly doesn’t help your biz to have more people think it’s even uglier than they imagine.
I agree. I work at a television network with several channels, and there are very few people I would consider "monsters" there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not trying to do my industry favors. Just speaking to what I’ve seen and heard from very close friends... ad naseum.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Well, at the very least, don't speculate on Fred Rogers unless you have an ounce of evidence.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, at the very least, don't speculate on Fred Rogers unless you have an ounce of evidence.

I’m just saying nothing would shock me from anyone who’s risen to superstardom or power in my industry.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Release date: October 18, 2019
Studio: TriStar Pictures (Sony)
Director: Marielle Heller
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriters: Micah Fitzerman-Blue, Noah Harpster
Genre: Biography

Starring: Tom Hanks, Matthew Rhys, Chris Cooper

Plot Summary: Tom Hanks is attached to star as Fred Rogers of "Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood," the pioneering children’s television series from The Fred Rogers Company that is celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year. The film is inspired by a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers and award-winning journalist Tom Junod. In the heart-warming story, a cynical journalist begrudgingly accepts an assignment to write a profile piece on the beloved icon and finds his perspective on life transformed. Rhys will play Junod the award-winning journalist whose real-life friendship with Rogers inspired the film.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wrong. Hanks murdered this role. Great movie. One where you know exactly where the destination is, but is well worth it for the journey.

that said, I still want to see Hanks do something dangerous again.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I was wrong. Hanks murdered this role. Great movie. One where you know exactly where the destination is, but is well worth it for the journey.

that said, I still want to see Hanks do something dangerous again.
Yeah he was incredible in this role. And I agree, I haven't seen his last couple films, but it's been a while since he played a character that was out of left field.

I wasn't impressed with the film though. I was looking forward to more Fred Rogers rather than the plot they put together.