Cardinals' 2018 Retool is On and QBOF is Off

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
For those of us who had visions of Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson in Cardinal red dancing their way into the end zone, it's time to sit down, take a deep breath and accept the reality that those visions are never going to happen.

Well maybe it could happen years from now---when they are grizzled veterans.

If the Cardinals' priority was finally, at long last, to draft a QBOF and put him the hands of a QB guru (like John DeFilippo who has helped to develop Carson Wentz or Darrell Bevell who started a 5'11" rookie 3rd round draft pick from the moment he showed up in Seattle and turned him into a perennial Pro Bowler), well, then, the Cardinals wouldn't have appointed Mike McCoy as their new OC.

Perhaps it has something to do---once again this year---with winning two meaningless games at the end of the year which dropped the Cardinals out of the prime draft spots to select a QBOF...

Or perhaps it has something to do with the organization's penchant for signing veteran QBs at the tail end of their careers in the hope of a stunning swan song---and let's face it---Kurt Warner got the Cardinals to the Super Bowl in 2008---and Carson Palmer got the Cardinals to the NFC Championship game in 2015---so there is a track record of coming close---and---ever so close in 2008.

Mike McCoy is a veteran ex-head coach and OC who will bring---once again---a sophisticated offense (a la BA's) to Arizona, one that only a seasoned veteran can grasp within two or three seasons.

When Steve Wilks was so adamant that his new job as HC is a "retool" and not a rebuild---obviously he was completely serious. The only way that the hiring of McCoy makes sense is for the Cardinals to trade for or sign their next Kurt Warner or Carson Palmer.

Rumor has it that McCoy wants to bring QB Brock Osweiler with him---but Osweiler is not veteran enough---but, maybe he can be McCoy's version of Drew Stanton, the trusty backup who "knows the system"---but oh the irony---seeing as the head coach the Cardinals were rumored to want more than any other, Bill O'Brien, of the Texans, did everything he could to get rid of Osweiler---and now a year later O'Brien has a gem of a young QBOF in Deshaun Watson---the very QB last year whom the Cardinals supposedly wanted, but the Texans traded one spot ahead of to snatch.

So---if the Cardinals, as Steve Willks insists---are retooling and are going to be super aggressive in acquiring a QB through FA or a trade---who is that QB?

Alex Smith? Oh the irony of having to trade with Andy Reid again---and oh the irony of Reid's asking price---a 1st or 2nd rounder (sound familiar?). A combo of McCoy and Smith is intriguing and could be a good match. But, Smith becomes a UFA in 2019 (sound familiar?), so if the Cardinals trade a 1st or 2nd round pick for Smith, it would compel them to sign Smith to a long term deal.

Moreover, giving up this year's 1st or 2nd rounder after having traded away their 4th rounder (Bears), their 6th rounder (Saints), sixth round comp pick (for the AP trade) and their 7th rounder (Chiefs), means hat the Cardinals, with all of their needs from two years of ushering 25 free agents out the door, would now be left with 6 draft picks. How then could the Cardinals even consider taking a rookie QB in Round 1? Or Round 2 (if that's their first pick of the draft)? And what QBs would be available in Round 3? None of the top 7.

The point is---if you sign Alex Smith to a 3-4 year deal---a rookie 1st or 2nd rounder goes to waste.

How about going hard after Kirk Cousins? Wouldn't signing him to a $30M a year deal feel like buying a $30 steak at Appleby's?

Sam Bradford?

Trade for Andy Dalton? That actually might be a very good match: McCoy and Dalton. But what would the Bengals want in return? Dalton has 3 years left on his current deal at $13.M (2018), $16 (2019) and $17.5M (2020). Very reasonable.

I kid you not---I awoke in the middle of the night from a vivid dream once because the Cardinals had just won the Super Bowl and Andy "Big Red" Dalton was the Cardinals' MVP.

Hopefully, Steve Keim can find the best veteran QB for McCoy and have enough money and draft picks left over to add the other key pieces to make the retool a reality.

But, at least for this moment, it's difficult not to feel QBOF envy for our NFC West nemeses who all have their very good young QBs in their buildings for the next 10-12 years.

It's also difficult to try to accept once again that the Cardinals just cannot wrap their heads around deciding on---and pulling the trigger on---a 1st round QBOF. They misfired on Matt Leinart 12 years ago, who was beaten out by the veteran, Kurt Warner.

Maybe it's the ghost of Joe Namath who eschewed the Cardinals and their taking of him in the 1st round in favor of bolting to a new league called the AFL.

Maybe---actually---the Cardinals have thought this out to perfection---so that history would NOT repeat itself...let's say if, Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson would stand the Cardinals up and bolt for the XFL.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, from everything I hear, the Cards will sign/trade for a vet qb and also draft one this year. I see McCoy working his system with the vet QB while QB Coach Leftwich really works with the rookie qb.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel we will sign a veteran QB and not trade for one unless it’s no more than a 4th rounder. I really feel a QB will fall to us in the 2nd round although we may have to trade up for that to happen. Maybe a guy like mason Rudolph. However if we REALLY go for it and sign cousins there is a good chance we wouldn’t draft a QB at all.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why the hate for Cousins? Dude put up 4k yards with a crap team. Two years ago, sure, but he's developed into a franchise QB. If you can swing it, he's the guy.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the hate for Cousins? Dude put up 4k yards with a crap team. Two years ago, sure, but he's developed into a franchise QB. If you can swing it, he's the guy.
I agree. To me this would send a statement to the fan base we’re back in the hunt with instant credibility. It would stop the QBOTF worry and leave us with all our draft picks. He would be our QB for years to come barring injury.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because he is commanding elite money and he is not elite. Whomever signs him will be married to him for at least 5 years. That is risk for a player who puts up good numbers, but hasn't won much of anything.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. To me this would send a statement to the fan base we’re back in the hunt with instant credibility. It would stop the QBOTF worry and leave us with all our draft picks. He would be our QB for years to come barring injury.

Not at 27-30 million a year. That's what the Browns will offer and they have some good young weapons along with the 1st and 4th pick. They'll trade back, get more picks and end up with a stud RB and OL help.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There's a lot to chew on in this post... some I agree with, some I don't.

I would agree that the hiring of McCoy does indicate more of a veteran approach at QB - but this is what I've been calling for all along. The hiring may also have one key benefit to the team (or the fans), in that an experienced OC with a true plan in place may make Fitz more apt to give it one more go.

There are a lot of interesting names available at QB in the free agent market, which makes me prone to thinking that Smith just isn't going to draw the kind of compensation Reid is looking for. Maybe if the Chiefs weren't in Denver's division, but I don't envision seeing someone else give up any more than a third... and I'd be kicking and screaming if we gave up even that much.

I want Cousins, I'd be fine with a few of the names in free agency... but let's talk OBOTF.

I've been vocal about thinking we've played our way out of getting a surefire success as a rookie, but I see no reason in a strong draft class to panic about taking a flyer on a QB with a ton of upside, and working from there. Short of Cousins, there are no available quarterbacks who are going to preclude us from taking a youngster in this draft. I think in the first or second round, someone worth taking a shot at will be available.

The dream isn't dead, it's just deferred. Take someone with potential and get to work. We need 3 guys anyways.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at 27-30 million a year. That's what the Browns will offer and they have some good young weapons along with the 1st and 4th pick. They'll trade back, get more picks and end up with a stud RB and OL help.
Neither has Mathew Stanford. Would you be happier paying a guy like Bradford, bridgewater, Keenum 17/18 mil? We could trade up for our qbotf and he could turn out like Ryan leaf or Tim couch. If that happened we would be the new Cleveland Browns of the league.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I see no reason that the Browns or Cousins match up at all past money and need. Why would Cousins want to go to a team with a lame duck coach and an absolutely abysmal culture?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a lot to chew on in this post... some I agree with, some I don't.

I would agree that the hiring of McCoy does indicate more of a veteran approach at QB - but this is what I've been calling for all along. The hiring may also have one key benefit to the team (or the fans), in that an experienced OC with a true plan in place may make Fitz more apt to give it one more go.

There are a lot of interesting names available at QB in the free agent market, which makes me prone to thinking that Smith just isn't going to draw the kind of compensation Reid is looking for. Maybe if the Chiefs weren't in Denver's division, but I don't envision seeing someone else give up any more than a third... and I'd be kicking and screaming if we gave up even that much.

I want Cousins, I'd be fine with a few of the names in free agency... but let's talk OBOTF.

I've been vocal about thinking we've played our way out of getting a surefire success as a rookie, but I see no reason in a strong draft class to panic about taking a flyer on a QB with a ton of upside, and working from there. Short of Cousins, there are no available quarterbacks who are going to preclude us from taking a youngster in this draft. I think in the first or second round, someone worth taking a shot at will be available.

The dream isn't dead, it's just deferred. Take someone with potential and get to work. We need 3 guys anyways.
Best post of the day!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither has Mathew Stanford. Would you be happier paying a guy like Bradford, bridgewater, Keenum 17/18 mil? We could trade up for our qbotf and he could turn out like Ryan leaf or Tim couch. If that happened we would be the new Cleveland Browns of the league.

I said in another thread I'd love Teddy on a one year prove your healthy deal while drafting Lamar Jackson. It's a win-win for both. He plays well, he gets a big payday next year somewhere and we have our QBOTF ready. He doesn't, you throw Larmar to the fire.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see no reason that the Browns or Cousins match up at all past money and need. Why would Cousins want to go to a team with a lame duck coach and an absolutely abysmal culture?

He is not shy about getting paid.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd also make a run a AJ Mccarron. He is a RFA and is pissed at the Bangles. Maybe he is own Matt Flynn and we'll draft our Russell Wilson.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said in another thread I'd love Teddy on a one year prove your healthy deal while drafting Lamar Jackson. It's a win-win for both. He plays well, he gets a big payday next year somewhere and we have our QBOTF ready.
Not a bad plan BB. You can bet there are many on this board whose head would explode at the thought of bridgewater. And we may still have to give up picks to get our QBOTF.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the heck has he done to warrant your support?

He had shown some flashes in limited time and I read something early in the season that a few teams were interested in trading for him as a starter. I am more intrigued since he wouldn't be expensive.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had shown some flashes in limited time and I read something early in the season that a few teams were interested in trading for him as a starter. I am more intrigued since he wouldn't be expensive.
Eeks! One of those teams were the Browns. Lol. I just don’t think that is an “aggressive “ kind of move as has been described by Kiem.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he is commanding elite money and he is not elite. Whomever signs him will be married to him for at least 5 years. That is risk for a player who puts up good numbers, but hasn't won much of anything.

You could have said the same thing about Peyton Manning for much of his career(or at least the first decade) and guys like John Elway or Andrew Luck or Mtthew Stafford that droves of people wanted???

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We aren’t trading draft picks for a bridge guy and drafting a QB. We won’t spend multiple picks on the position. So Cards will try to go FA first, I think, to keep their options open. That means Cousins or a Minny guy, most likely.
Very sensible post. If Kiem believes we are simply retooling he should do whatever it takes to sign Cousins. We instantly match the west division at the qb position. Barring injuries we could forget about our qb needs for years to come.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson