The Case for Munchak

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
While at first the Cardinals' hiring of Mike Munchak to be the new head coach may disappoint the fan base in Arizona, once the fans understand this hiring better, Munchak will start to feel like a wise choice.

Why?

To put it simply: this is a classic case of putting the horse before the cart.

The Cardinals cannot keep failing along the offensive line. If the OL failures continue, it doesn't matter who the QB, bell cow RB or quintet of WRs are. Games are won and lost in the trenches and if there is a coach who can turn the Cardinals' OL around it is Munchak.

Where the OL is concerned, Munchak may be instrumental in bringing LT D.J. Humphries' game to a potentially Pro Bowl level. He would likely sit down with LG Mike Iupati and encourage him to restructure his deal so that Munch can help him return to prominence.

At C there could be immediate changes via free agency or the draft, if A.Q. Shipley doesn't fit the prototype. At RG, the Titans' UFA Josh Klein would be a very good fit.

At RT, Munchak could persuade Jared Veldheer to restructure his deal to make it 2 years. No one will be more excited to see Munchak as HC than Veldheer. if Veldheer doesn't budge, look for Munchak to turn to the Steeler's Swiss Army Knife T/G UFA Chris Hubbard. In the meantime, Munchak would further develop T/G John Wetzel, T Will Holden, C/G Evan Boehm and C/G Daniel Munyer.

Word is that Todd Haley might be fired in Pittsburgh, although Ben Roethlisberger, who recently announced he wants to play 3 more years, has hinted that he wants Haley back.

Not sure if Munchak would want Haley anyway. One cannot imagine that Munchak was too thrilled to see the two 4th and inches calls versus the Jaguars which included a toss sweep that was dropped for a 3 yard loss and an incomplete crossing pass on a drag route...when all the while the 6-5, 235 QB could have readily sneaked the ball behind C Maurkice Pouncey and All-Pro RG David DeCastro.

In RB David Johnson Munchak has his version of Le'Veon Bell. At WR, Fitz will return with one or two UFAs and a Day 2 draft pick. At TE, there's chance Munchak could help Jermaine Gresham earn his salary.

While no one knows just yet who Munchak would want as his OC, it wouldn't be surprising if Munchak tries to lure Matt Hasselbeck out of the ESPN studio as QB coach. Munchak has often raved about Hasselbeck's leadership and mastery of QB and WR adjustments when he was the #2 QB under Munchak in Tennessee.

On the defensive side of the ball, Ron Wolfley has been campaigning for the Cardinals to keep James Bettcher. But, Munchak may have other ideas. It is critical for Munchak this time around to get his coaching staff just the way he wants it, because he was fired in Tennessee for refusing to let go of some of his assistant coaches.

In Tennessee, Munchak got very mixed results from his defense under DC Jerry Gray. The Cardinals have more defensive talent to start with than Munchak and Gray did.

In Tennessee Munchak went 22-26 with mostly Jake Locker at QB. Munchak is not averse to employing dual threat QBs and this time around the hope is he can have a stronger pro prospect than Locker.

The matching of Munchak with Steve Keim and Michael Bidwill is made to order. Munchak is a diligent taskmaster, who garners great loyalty and respect from his players. He's tough-minded, but highly personable. The Titans' players eagerly wanted Munchak to return as coach, per one of the Titans' beat reporters.

The bottom line is---while the hiring of Munchak isn't necessarily going to create a fevered pitched buzz---the Cardinals need to get tougher---and Munchak can bring the hard hat and lunch pail mentality that the Cardinals need in order to climb back up the ladder in the NFC West.

If this 2nd interview in Arizona goes as well as expected, Michael Bidwill will probably have his Cardinals' pen and Munchak's contract ready. Munch is being called a "dark horse" candidate in Arizona, but it wouldn't be a huge surprise if Bidwill and Keim from the get-go have viewed Mike Munchak as a bona fide Clydesdale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I want John DeFilippo because I want the best QB coach we can find.

That said, it's hard to ignore what Mike Munchak would bring to the table. I can see why MB and SK are high on him, as I explained in the thread.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
So...Munchak would basically be coming in to coach the O-Line? I think Keim is high on him, because they were both O-Linemen and can relate to that, but what he brings from an X's and O's standpoint is very underwhelming. I'm sure the players love him, but that doesn't win games. Also, him being old school...he would hire all his old buddies as assistant coaches and never hold them accountable, which is what ultimately got him fired. So, thanks, but no thanks. Flip and Wilks are much more intriguing IMO.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Great sales pitch! Even more exciting that Munchak will bring his old buddy Russ Grimm to be our OC. That's 2 HOF OL on our staff. We will pound the West!

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I want John DeFilippo because I want the best QB coach we can find.

That said, it's hard to ignore what Mike Munchak would bring to the table. I can see why MB and SK are high on him, as I explained in the thread.
I would like to see Munchak or any other head coach we get bring in DeFilippo as OC.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think it's folly to believe that the head coach is little more than a glorified position coach. Maybe they can evaluate talent better at their position — maybe.

Hiring a head coach to do the job of a position coach is a monumental waste of resources. Harold Goodwin was an OL coach for the Steelers until he took the position with the Colts. It was probably a wasted opportunity to have Goodwin spending so much time with the OL, along with Larry Zierlein.

It's romantic nonsense to think that these guys need additional motivation on game days or during the week. They primary mood in an NFL locker room is fear, because all but a handful of guys could be replaced at any moment for any reason. These guys need to perform to feed their families.

Munchak may be a great communicator and coordinator and manager. His 22-26 record with the Titans doesn't provide a huge endorsement. In 2012 Tennessee's offensive line ranked 31st (behind only the Cards') in run blocking and 19th in pass blocking. It improved to 19th/12th the next year (his last has HC).

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think it's folly to believe that the head coach is little more than a glorified position coach. Maybe they can evaluate talent better at their position — maybe.

Hiring a head coach to do the job of a position coach is a monumental waste of resources. Harold Goodwin was an OL coach for the Steelers until he took the position with the Colts. It was probably a wasted opportunity to have Goodwin spending so much time with the OL, along with Larry Zierlein.

It's romantic nonsense to think that these guys need additional motivation on game days or during the week. They primary mood in an NFL locker room is fear, because all but a handful of guys could be replaced at any moment for any reason. These guys need to perform to feed their families.

Munchak may be a great communicator and coordinator and manager. His 22-26 record with the Titans doesn't provide a huge endorsement. In 2012 Tennessee's offensive line ranked 31st (behind only the Cards') in run blocking and 19th in pass blocking. It improved to 19th/12th the next year (his last has HC).

I don't think his 22-26 record with the Titans (with Jake Locker at QB) means that he can't win somewhere else. He appears to have the gravitas to be a very good HC. I think you under-estimate the kind of tone a HC can set in the locker room and out on the field. To call Munchak a glorified position coach is unjust, imo.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think his 22-26 record with the Titans (with Jake Locker at QB) means that he can't win somewhere else. He appears to have the gravitas to be a very good HC. I think you under-estimate the kind of tone a HC can set in the locker room and out on the field. To call Munchak a glorified position coach is unjust, imo.

That's how you're positioning him. Everything's about building a stronger offensive line. If the head coach is showing guys proper hand placement in the preseason and into the regular season, it's a profound waste of resources.

His staffs in Tennessee were bad, as well. Dowell Loggains? Exciting!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, that's basically what you described in your first post.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
That's how you're positioning him. Everything's about building a stronger offensive line. If the head coach is showing guys proper hand placement in the preseason and into the regular season, it's a profound waste of resources.

His staffs in Tennessee were bad, as well. Dowell Loggains? Exciting!

The OL is a great place to start, isn't it? How is the teaching of fundamentals ever a waste of resources? Pete Carroll is hands-on with the DBs all the time in Seattle, for example. Watching Patriots' practices, Bill Belichick is teaching fundamentals all the time. He too loves to focus a good deal of his attention on the DBs.

What HC candidate do you want?

I want to roll the dice with John DeFilippo because of how important it will be to develop the QBOF. That's JDF's specialty. And these days practically every HC has a certain specialty---some are offensive guys, some are defensive guys, etc.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The OL is a great place to start, isn't it? How is the teaching of fundamentals ever a waste of resources? Pete Carroll is hands-on with the DBs all the time in Seattle, for example.

What HC candidate do you want?

I want to roll the dice with John DeFilippo because of how important it will be to develop the QBOF. That's JDF's specialty. And these days practically every HC has a certain specialty---some are offensive guys, some are defensive guys, etc.

I'd rather make sure that my HC is building a functional, collaborative, expert staff than focusing on a particular position group, even if that is the offensive line. If you want to alienate your locker room, the first thing you should do is talk to guys about how much money they make and telling them they need to take less. That's the central tension between coaching staffs and GMs when it comes to players.

How do you know what Carroll does with DBs in Seattle? I think he came up with part of the concept to put together a defense that forces refs to throw a flag on every play, but I'm pretty sure that Carroll is focused on big-picture stuff, not how well his 3rd DB comes out of his backpedal.

I'm choosing to trust the front office with their process. I don't have the information to make an informed decision, and I feel like hitting a great head coach is more of a chance thing than anything else.

I do think you're suffering from tremendous recency bias. What did DeFillipo do for Palmer with the Raiders? Or Terrelle Pryor? Or Derek Carr's bad first year in Oakland?

Most head coaches today come from a certain background, but the best ones like Belicheck, Harbaugh, Rivera, and Tomlin, who have consistent sustained success, are excellent managers and administrators.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Please no Steelers Castoffs again.

Haley would be a better fit, because he actually wins.

DeFillipo or Wilks please

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I'd rather make sure that my HC is building a functional, collaborative, expert staff than focusing on a particular position group, even if that is the offensive line. If you want to alienate your locker room, the first thing you should do is talk to guys about how much money they make and telling them they need to take less. That's the central tension between coaching staffs and GMs when it comes to players.

How do you know what Carroll does with DBs in Seattle? I think he came up with part of the concept to put together a defense that forces refs to throw a flag on every play, but I'm pretty sure that Carroll is focused on big-picture stuff, not how well his 3rd DB comes out of his backpedal.

I'm choosing to trust the front office with their process. I don't have the information to make an informed decision, and I feel like hitting a great head coach is more of a chance thing than anything else.

I do think you're suffering from tremendous recency bias. What did DeFillipo do for Palmer with the Raiders? Or Terrelle Pryor? Or Derek Carr's bad first year in Oakland?

Most head coaches today come from a certain background, but the best ones like Belicheck, Harbaugh, Rivera, and Tomlin, who have consistent sustained success, are excellent managers and administrators.

I have watched feeds of some Seahawks' practices. Pete Carroll is teaching all the time. He's one of the most hands-on coaches in the NFL. Anyone who has played for him will tell you that. Do you really know what you are talking about? Seriously.

Typical too of you to not take stand on which coach you would prefer---yet so quick to criticize me and others who do.

You never put your money where your mouth is---oooh, yeah, I guess we went down that road before.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Please no Steelers Castoffs again.

Haley would be a better fit, because he actually wins.

DeFillipo or Wilks please

This I actually disagree with. Why wouldn't you want to bring in the institutional experience from one of the league's most successful franchises?

DeFillipo and Wilks are just the hottest new names on the market. Neither are from especially successful coaching trees or organizations.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This I actually disagree with. Why wouldn't you want to bring in the institutional experience from one of the league's most successful franchises?

DeFillipo and Wilks are just the hottest new names on the market. Neither are from especially successful coaching trees or organizations.
IS this sarcasm? I think I should know.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Except Landry Jones as QB next season I am on board

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Well put, the head coach has to be able manage the game and the players. Most people are going through the list of head coaches from a positional standpoint when for the most part that is not the basis of their job requirement. They have to be able to manage a game and then have the knowledge and ability to get assistants who are responsible for the OL, QB and like which everyone is focusing on. That head coach is focusing on his own assistant coaches first before the players (since the OC,DC on down are the hands on guys who prepare) in order to manage a unified directive for success. The head coach is like an observer in a chess game, he might make some crucial moves for his side but rather he is telling others when to be more aggressive or not instead of making all the moves. The coach dictates the pace and attitude in my opinion

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson