RichRod to be Fired

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
Navy Coach was just offered the job ? He would be an excellent choice.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He was offered, started assembling a staff and then got cold feet. He did this to BYU. He’ll never get a big time coaching job again.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was offered, started assembling a staff and then got cold feet. He did this to BYU. He’ll never get a big time coaching job again.

Yup. Turning down a P5 job in that way means he is Navy for ever

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So did they pass on Neal Brown of Troy or did he turn them down? He seems like exactly the kind of coach they are looking for. Former OC at TTECH & KENT, won 10+ games the last 2 years at Troy, 2-0 in bowl games and only 37 years old. Obviously would boost recruiting in the south as TROY is in the state of AL. I mean what turn does this roller coaster take now? Will UA just eventually pony up the money for Sumlin?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Sumlin is a good hire...he should be able to bring in some good recruits.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, Sumlin has recruited Saguaro hard.

ASU is going to have to step up its in state recruiting. Even while at A&M, he and his staff would go to Saguaro to recruit players, like Chrisitan Kirk. Whereas Todd Graham couldn't even drive the 8-9 miles to recruit him. Hence why Kirk didn't go to ASU.

Can't have Arizona's talent pipeline to the NFL being poached by UofA.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This couldn't have worked out any better from a purely football standpoint. Of course I hope the Rich Rod accusations aren't true.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, Sumlin has recruited Saguaro hard.

ASU is going to have to step up its in state recruiting. Even while at A&M, he and his staff would go to Saguaro to recruit players, like Chrisitan Kirk. Whereas Todd Graham couldn't even drive the 8-9 miles to recruit him. Hence why Kirk didn't go to ASU.

Can't have Arizona's talent pipeline to the NFL being poached by UofA.

Is this really true? I remember it came down to ASU & TAMU in the end.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sumlin is a good hire...he should be able to bring in some good recruits.

It is who I thought ASU should've targeted. Sumlin is going to do well in the PAC 12.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
It is who I thought ASU should've targeted. Sumlin is going to do well in the PAC 12.
I wanted Sumlin too, but ASU was going on the cheap after buying out Graham. Gonna be tough for Herm to out-recruit Sumlin.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Don't kid yourselves - Sumlin is not such a sure thing home run hire. He brings a ton of baggage, too. There is a reason that with all of the high profile jobs open this off season, no one else wanted him. His opportunities came down to UA job or a WR positional job with the Raiders. And it sounds like he was more of a fall back choice even for the UA job.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is this really true? I remember it came down to ASU & TAMU in the end.

Yep. For the most part. Sumlin showed he wanted Kirk, ASU didn't even try (barely). They sent a low level assistant coordinator to recruit. As it was described to me, he went with who wanted him, and that was Sumlin who personally made the trip from Texas along with his staff.

It's amazing how much talent has run through there, and the Phoenix area in general, and Graham was oblivious.

The word is Mohns and Sumlin have a professional relationship (maybe that's the wrong phrase, but ballpark), which means it's possible he'll nudge his players more towards UofA then ASU. Maybe Herm can change that and match it, but Graham really screwed up.

Hell Saguaro is getting guys coming in from out of state just to play there. Guys are going to big programs. Being day 1 and 2 NFL draft picks. Many of them could of been at ASU with almost no effort. At the time many of the players were excited at the start of the Graham era and he could of had them easily. What a waste.

Hopefully Herm changes that, but its not good for ASU that Sumlin is there. He's a good recruiter, and has history with the best talent pipeline in the state.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave