I cant see how anyone can say that Josh Allen is a top QB prospect

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Name a successful qb who has never thrown above 60 percent in college. Mike Vick was the only one who was a success because his ability to tuck it and run. 56 percent accuracy is first round talent??

Now I'd like to see Keim throw bank at Cousins if he is released. And draft Olinemen/Lb's for the rest of the draft.

OP
OP
Vacard

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would build my team around him. Since BA did wonders for Palmer, Kirk would thrive here. But he needs to be protected. He already has DJ to work with.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Name a successful qb who has never thrown above 60 percent in college. Mike Vick was the only one who was a success because his ability to tuck it and run. 56 percent accuracy is first round talent??

Now I'd like to see Keim throw bank at Cousins if he is released. And draft Olinemen/Lb's for the rest of the draft.
Against good teams he's sub 50%, and has regressed this year. He's the next Zach Mettenberger, but with worse stats.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I love Cousins but would be super hesitant to give him what he's going to get on the open market. I think he would thrive in BA's offense.

I just have an infatuation with having that five years with a rookie QB where they don't break the bank and you can build the team around him.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Classic scenario where scouts and GMs have to consider Allen's supporting cast at Wyoming to determine whether his stats are or are not an accurate projection of his capabilities moving forward. Some team is going to draft him for his outstanding talents---he's a 1st round pick, regardless of his stats.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think Cousins is a solid QB and nothing more. Would he be solid enough with a back like DJ? Yes, if you want to make the playoffs as a wildcard and limited home field advantage, meaning he will not win you a championship in my opinion. Palmer is a better QB than Cousins and he has those limits as well and his history shows he is a tease. The Cardinals, or more importantly Keim, have to muster their courage and quit putting off what makes a team a perennial winner and that is by going into the draft possessed with confidence and get your guy :)

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be much more comfortable drafting Lamar, Rosen, & Baker before signing Cousins.

It’s easy for you guys to say y’all would take Cousins before anyone in the draft because Cousins has actually played a NFL down. The other guys haven’t yet.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Classic scenario where scouts and GMs have to consider Allen's supporting cast at Wyoming to determine whether his stats are or are not an accurate projection of his capabilities moving forward. Some team is going to draft him for his outstanding talents---he's a 1st round pick, regardless of his stats.
Allen had some quality receivers last year, and has still consistently been inaccurate. His O-Line isn't great, and he has to scramble quite a bit, but I'm going to venture to say that if he starts in a Shrine game, or Senior Bowl...that his inaccuracy will still plague him. Scouts just love his arm and athleticism for a big guy, and completely overlook his actual arm talent. He kind of reminds me of Deshone Kizer in a way...big athletic guy who has always struggled with accuracy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’d be much more comfortable drafting Lamar, Rosen, & Baker before signing Cousins.

It’s easy for you guys to say y’all would take Cousins before anyone in the draft because Cousins has actually played a NFL down. The other guys haven’t yet.

Yep. Because of two major factors, in my mind - right now we're seeing two top QBs from two years ago be really solid, and the first QBs from this year's draft are having pretty solid returns as well. In short order, it's going to have to bust, because statistically it's going to. I'm envisioning this team moving up to #2 or #3 and getting RG3 instead of Andrew Luck, then being completely screwed for the next 3 years as all of our top picks go to another team and we have a wasteland at QB. I also have battered wife syndrome from the Leinart days.

Mitch

Reaction score
Allen had some quality receivers last year, and has still consistently been inaccurate. His O-Line isn't great, and he has to scramble quite a bit, but I'm going to venture to say that if he starts in a Shrine game, or Senior Bowl...that his inaccuracy will still plague him. Scouts just love his arm and athleticism for a big guy, and completely overlook his actual arm talent. He kind of reminds me of Deshone Kizer in a way...big athletic guy who has always struggled with accuracy.

I think a number of scouts and GMs would agree 100% with you.

This is a big concern for me as well---because it may take 3-4 years to prep him as a starter and even then, can he deliver?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I think a number of scouts and GMs would agree 100% with you.

This is a big concern for me as well---because it may take 3-4 years to prep him as a starter and even then, can he deliver?
It's just very rare to have a college QB who's a career sub 60% guy, and then to come in the NFL and all of a sudden be accurate? It's such a minuscule percentage that it shouldn't be worth the risk of a 1st round draft choice.

Mitch

Reaction score
It's just very rare to have a college QB who's a career sub 60% guy, and then to come in the NFL and all of a sudden be accurate? It's such a minuscule percentage that it shouldn't be worth the risk of a 1st round draft choice.

Right...and I don't know how many Cardinals' fans can put up with another inaccurate QB.

OP
OP
Vacard

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Right...and I don't know how many Cardinals' fans can put up with another inaccurate QB.
Allen is Logan Thomas part two. Cards need to stay far far away.

If we draft a qb I'd like either Jackson or Rudolph. Those the only two that might be there when we draft.

OP
OP
Vacard

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Against good teams he's sub 50%, and has regressed this year. He's the next Zach Mettenberger, but with worse stats.
37 precent against Oregon and a putrid 47 percent against Hawaii is not good at all.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here is what I know and where I fall.

I know that Sam Darnold is going to be the best of this bunch of QBs.

I think Josh Rosen is going to stick as an NFL starter...but his attitude has a little Jay Cutler IMO. I don't know how good he will be.

Lamar Jackson is Marcus Mariota. Will be a starting NFL QB, but I don't know how good he is actually going to be.

Baker Mayfield has the largest variance IMO. He could be Drew Brees or he could be Colt McCoy. I think Mayfield is a 10 year NFL guy...but whether as a stater or backup, I don't know.

Most people will draft Josh Allen to be Roethlisbeger or Wentz, I think they will more likely get a fresh Blake Bortles.

OP
OP
Vacard

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Cousins but would be super hesitant to give him what he's going to get on the open market. I think he would thrive in BA's offense.

I just have an infatuation with having that five years with a rookie QB where they don't break the bank and you can build the team around him.
And what about when their contract is up? You dont want him to be a star on another team right? Seattle was able to throw money at Wilson and still kept their core. If he is good, he wont be cheap for ever.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

I think Josh Rosen is going to stick as an NFL starter...but his attitude has a little Jay Cutler IMO. I don't know how good he will be.

Lamar Jackson is Marcus Mariota. Will be a starting NFL QB, but I don't know how good he is actually going to be.

Baker Mayfield has the largest variance IMO. He could be Drew Brees or he could be Colt McCoy. I think Mayfield is a 10 year NFL guy...but whether as a stater or backup, I don't know.

Most people will draft Josh Allen to be Roethlisbeger or Wentz, I think they will more likely get a fresh Blake Bortles.
Would have to agree with everything, except I don't think Jackson will be as good as Mariota. Rosen would probably be the best if he had more of a fire lit underneath him, but like you said, his Cutler type attitude will restrict him from ever reaching his full potential.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And what about when their contract is up? You dont want him to be a star on another team right? Seattle was able to throw money at Wilson and still kept their core. If he is good, he wont be cheap for ever.

If he's good, he's home-grown, we've coached him up in our system, likely a fan favorite... pay the man. But, Seattle has made Wilson run for his life the past few years - in order to keep the defense going, they had to sacrifice on the OL. And they had to deal with a bunch of high profile holdouts from the defense. I wouldn't say it's been easy on them to keep their core.

But I've gone on record since before the '17 draft saying I don't think we're going to have a shot at one of the top guys, and I still feel that way. My idea of our safest bet is picking one of these guys in the mid first to early 2nd and signing a holdover to let said kid sit for a year.

OP
OP
Vacard

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I see Lamar to be like a smaller Cam Newton. Mariota was a much more polished passer when coming out.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see Lamar to be like a smaller Cam Newton. Mariota was a much more polished passer when coming out.
I think Lamar has a better deep ball than Mariota, while Mariota was way better in the intermediate range.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Rosen & Lamar will be good from the jump.

Baker will be up & down his rookie year, but he’ll hit his stride after that.

Just not fully sold on Darnold. If Jackson was having the season Darnold is having, he would get talked about as a 6th rounder.

Josh Allen shouldn’t even be drafted.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I cannot see how anyone after being a Cardinal fan can simply look at this draft and say the second round is an option to draft or probably worst another third round flyer. You just don't go 'maybe' with the QB position. Sure you can get lucky and anyone drafted past the first round is a team thinking they got lucky too and thought they could afford a flyer, we cannot think this way. I do not want to see another vet castoff who is being released for a reason. Sure we where fortunate with Warner and Palmer but they still resulted in one Super Bowl, a conference championship appearance and no Lombardi Trophy. If you think those results are sufficient, then you must not want to root for a winner with that take what you can get attitude. First round, trade to get in position to draft your guy regardless of what it might require, and then draft him

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
JA is playing with teammates who wouldn't start on a good junior college team. He has the tools, especially mental attitude and discipline, just needs the time and coaching. That is a big "if" if he get it, but like half the QBs drafted, what team they get selected by is at least 50% of the success ratio, imo. If he gets in the right place, and they have patience not to rush him, he could be great. Hopefully he will find that Aaron Rogers type situation, where he sits and learns and develops more for at least a couple years. Maybe team like the Saints would be the perfect place for him. Or even a Charger's team if Rivers returns for a couple more years.

Still, I am a big Mayfield fan. Give me a winner every time like Brees or Russell wilson, someone with energy and a strong accurate arm.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave