College Basketball 2017-18

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

we're hearing on UCLA boards it's probably less than 20 days but I don't think anybody really knows.

If the version that says Hill stole 1 pair of glasses and the others were just there is true, it seems like maybe he'll be there 20 days and the other 2 get home sooner.

But I don't think anybody in the US really knows the truth yet.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ANybody familiar with the Terez Owens site? Never heard of it but he's claiming Jalen Hill stole a pair of glasses, Ball and Riley were just there and had no idea Hill had taken them, but since all 3 were in the store on video, all 3 were arrested. Doesn't seem to mesh with the claim they confessed
This morning there was a claim, on ESPN radio, that there is video of them shoplifting at 3 stores in that mall.

BTW, saw a video shot of LaVar in the stands at the China game. Wonder who paid for his trip? Did the other parents get the same deal if so. AAU money?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This morning there was a claim, on ESPN radio, that there is video of them shoplifting at 3 stores in that mall.

BTW, saw a video shot of LaVar in the stands at the China game. Wonder who paid for his trip? Did the other parents get the same deal if so. AAU money?

Yeah if that story is true about multiple stores I don't think any of these 3 will play for UCLA at all this year, if ever. Huge difference between 1 kid at 1 store and 3 kids at 3 stores, that's premeditation and you have to sit them out for at least this year if that turns out to be true.

Lavar has money, and lavar formed his own AAU team for his sons he didn't really take shoe company money they played largely a local schedule. Lavar now has a reality show(on Facebook) and he's got his own shoe company deal so he can afford to go to China.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unreal how much talent Duke has now.

it's going to be interesting to see if when/if the FBI releases more stuff, the digging into the EYBL impacts Duke?

Obviously being part of the national team has been huge for Coach K recruiting wise, but it's really just a Nike thing. The whole USA basketball program is Nike, all the coaches, trainers everybody is Nike.

it became clear at one point the Bagley recruitment had shifted and he was going to a Nike school, he picked Duke. Barrett's final 4 was Arizona, Duke, UK and Oregon, all Nike, and then he cut Arizona over the FBI story. It will be interesting to see if Nike's domination of the elite kids continues if the FBI got any dirt from raiding the EYBL headquarters, Duke and UK have been cleaning up on kids from the EYBL for years now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know if it's true or not, I don't think we will know anytime soon but given Trump's stance on Russia and the Philippines where he claimed to have had discussions that Putin and Duterte insist he didn't have, you have to wonder if he's just taking credit for this now that it appears they're going to let them go early?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just proves all the reports coming out of China were best guesses.

There's an interesting school rule angle to it because China reduced the charges to the equivalent of misdemeanors, UCLA rules actually don't require them to do a long suspension or expel them. If a regular student commits a felony they're typically going to be expelled, a misdemeanor they might not even be suspended.

Under the circumstances I still think if they did what the stories said they should all miss the whole season at least, but it's not clear what's going to happen.

I'm glad they're coming home, I am not sure what I want to happen yet depends on what the true story is

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That will be interesting. It's now being reported that China dropped all charges, the players were not even officially deported, they will have no record, and presumably could return to China if they wanted to.

Not clear but either the political intervention resulted in dropped charges or maybe there was some truth to the claim that they screwed up by arresting the 17 year old Hill as an adult and under their own rules had to release him?