Cards would've drafted Watson...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had he not been taken by Houston who traded with Cleveland for the #12 pick. We were next at #13.

And we had a chance to revisit that trade ... we asked Watson about it on Friday after practice. He said he woke up draft day, had no idea where he was going to go, and he got a text from Hue Jackson and it said "be ready." He thought that was a sign that the Browns were interested.

It comes to No. 12, and he knew that Arizona had told him, if no one takes you by the time we pick at No. 13, we're taking you. So at No. 12, Browns on the clock, he thought maybe this is it. Looked up at the TV screen and it said the pick has been traded to Houston. Immediately looked down at his phone and it was ringing a Houston area code and that's how he got drafted.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...s-steelers-among-teams-to-save-their-seasons/

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
if true --

1. we now know two of their top 5, and
2. BASK were actually telling the truth about wanting a QB

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Um...maybe the Cardinals should stop telling draft picks they are going to pick them 1-2 picks ahead of time. Seems the Texans had a very good sense that the Cardinals would take Watson at #13.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Um...maybe the Cardinals should stop telling draft picks they are going to pick them 1-2 picks ahead of time. Seems the Texans had a very good sense that the Cardinals would take Watson at #13.
Everyone knew the cards desperately needed a qb, so it was no secret in Houston either. Most teams tell players they will grab them in whichever round, so I don't see a problem with the cards telling Watson they wanted him.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everyone knew the cards desperately needed a qb, so it was no secret in Houston either. Most teams tell players they will grab them in whichever round, so I don't see a problem with the cards telling Watson they wanted him.
not entirely true, there was a bunch of deception around draft time - us bringing in certain QBs, not others, bidwill flying his private jet to see certain QBs by himself while BA was with another QB

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
If they liked Watson more than Reddick, then he was a Top 4 player on their board. And he's a QB. If true, they should have been on the phone starting with Cincinnati at #9. If they wanted him, they should have got him.

That said, teams tell players in advance all the time they are taking them if available. Things change.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There was another article that said that Jackson was gonna draft Watson if they haven’t made that trade.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I'll tell you a secret every team knows who is taking who, and when they're doing it. I was told three picks before we took Golden that he was our guy. That info came from another teams front office employee. I am not at liberty to say who told me that. Now at that time most people hadn't even heard of Marcus Golden, and that was even after changing on the fly because of the Abdulla pick by Detroit. So don't kid yourself into thinking other teams don't know your intentions.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll tell you a secret every team knows who is taking who, and when they're doing it. I was told three picks before we took Golden that he was our guy. That info came from another teams front office employee. I am not at liberty to say who told me that. Now at that time most people hadn't even heard of Marcus Golden, and that was even after changing on the fly because of the Abdulla pick by Detroit. So don't kid yourself into thinking other teams don't know your intentions.

I bet you no other team knew we were going to draft Calvin Pace when we did. :)

I'm sure teams have a very good idea of the other teams needs/wants/desires but there has been some surprises in every draft.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
That's surprising. Because BASK said they woukd've taken Abdulla and thankfully they didn't get that shot.

I think maybe certain front offices share some draft info. Definitely not all of them share info.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I bet you no other team knew we were going to draft Calvin Pace when we did. :)

I'm sure teams have a very good idea of the other teams needs/wants/desires but there has been some surprises in every draft.

Laugh at Pace if you want, but he just recently retired. Any pick would look bad next to Suggs, but getting two consecutive first rounders in the teens is mighty tempting in return.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
If they liked Watson more than Reddick, then he was a Top 4 player on their board. And he's a QB. If true, they should have been on the phone starting with Cincinnati at #9. If they wanted him, they should have got him.

That said, teams tell players in advance all the time they are taking them if available. Things change.

I think the criticism is that if Watson was that high on the Cards board, talking to Cleveland would have been the move -- likely far cheaper to move the one spot than what the Texans gave up

now -- its possible that they did make that call, and found the cost of moving one spot wayyyyy to high

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the criticism is that if Watson was that high on the Cards board, talking to Cleveland would have been the move -- likely far cheaper to move the one spot than what the Texans gave up

now -- its possible that they did make that call, and found the cost of moving one spot wayyyyy to high

Keim, without detail, after the draft indicated they attempted to move a few times, but the cost was prohibitive.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I liked Watson but I also like Beathard out of Iowa. I was not happy that S.F. took him.

Mark in SC

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Pace had a solid career.

Not for us, because he didn't even fit our defense!

Don't get me started on that trade. About the biggest gaffe ever, save for the Minnesota/Dallas deal, and the Ricky Williams/Saints draft deal. And, lest someone try to bring back the lie that the trade 'got' us Quan, it could have 'costed' us the chance to draft him, because--besides gifting them a 4th rounder--we traded BACK in the 2nd round as added incentive.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Which says what? The Cardinals had no interest in him, or the other QBs. QB is the most important position and if they really had an interest they would have moved up. You really have to believe in the pick when the QB position is concerned that high in the draft and highly doubtful with that in mind a team just goes, "oh hum, we will draft him if he falls to us"... that perspective only works in the third round with a QB where the guy is more of a flyer than a commitment in my opinion

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

...or if you're Cleveland and you know that the further down a team is, the more they have to offer, you just say no to the Cards.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They also could've drafted Adrian Peterson
There's a difference between who a team should have chosen when they're pick came up and who they could have chosen if that pick would have fallen to them. Peterson was available when we picked that year but Whiz went for need(our O-line was beyond abysmal then and we already had Edge then) than taking the BPA. We had to trade to get to Watson. However, if it's true Keim said the trade value to move up was too expensive, sometimes you have to over spend. The Eagles overspent to move up to get Wentz. Ask them if they regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
There's a difference between who a team should have chosen when they're pick came up and who they could have chosen if that pick would have fallen to them. Peterson was available when we picked that year but Whiz went for need(our O-line was beyond abysmal then and we already had Edge then) than taking the BPA. We had to trade to get to Watson. However, if it's true Keim said the trade value to move up was too expensive, sometimes you have to over spend. The Eagles overspent to move up to get Wentz. Ask them if they regret it.

My point was, just Cuz he is good Now thats why people are saying we should've traded for him. Both were options for the cardinals whether we passed on them, or didn't trade up. 32 teams passed on Tom Brady several times.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
The price to get either Watson or Mahomes after the top 8 picks was really low considering the normal price tag for a QB of the future. The Texans and Chiefs traded up from the back of the draft, yet still only paid their next year's 1st round pick. We would have kept our 1st round pick 2018 while drafting Watson or Mahomes. It's really crazy Keim didn't pull the trigger.

Unfortunately we won't have video footage of how that all went down. Would've been great to see if we were indeed after a QB and got jumped by the Chiefs and Texans. I found it really exciting to see how that Ameer Abdullah - David Johnson saga proceeded, would be cool to get more insight into the draft room after the draft is over.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

But it's different moving to, or near, the top of the draft. Watson wasn't considered in that mold. If I was the Cards, I wouldn't have given up a lot to move up 1 spot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose