Phoenix Rising FC

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The old Arizona United soccer club has changed it's name to Phoenix Rising FC and is building it's new stadium in south Scottsdale just north of the Tempe Marketplace:

http://www.phxrisingfc.com/

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if a move to the MLS is coming soon.

I think they are going to apply to be one of the Expansion MLS teams. That is the whole reason why they are building the new stadium. The current one is only temporary. I drive by it every day and it looks nice for a set of bleachers. The same crew that does the Phoenix Open did the temporary one. Put it up in a month.

You must be registered for see images attach

They had their first game this weekend. Wanted to go but my wife had plans for us already. Heard that the parking was a nightmare. They say the parking issue will be fixed for their next game in a week and a half.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Didier Drogba just signed as a Player/Owner. I'd say they're serious about MLS.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didier Drogba just signed as a Player/Owner. I'd say they're serious about MLS.

Yeah that is pretty awesome.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Hoping to get to go see a game before it gets too hot.

News of him signing on with Phoenix Rising is world wide:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39584158

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I didn't realize that Phoenix Rising has Shawn Wright-Phillips. I remember watching him for Man City.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan Bickley is optimistic that Soccer is here to stay:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...-soccer-revolution-hitting-phoenix/100509998/

The Valley is a rough place for sports teams. The market is oversaturated. Fans are transient and fickle. The fight for discretionary income is like pulling cactus needles. Dreams of startup teams soon become tombstones.

Phoenix Rising FC will be the exception. They are going to thrive in America’s most unforgiving, underdeveloped big-league sports town.

They are going to make the desert feel a little more global.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made it to the game Sunday night with friend and our two boys who are both 10. We had a blast! Not a bad seat in the house. Wasn't too hot yet and once the sun was down it was perfect.

Another packed house. 3rd sellout in a row and broke the previous attendance records with over 7100 people there to see Drogba introduced. Standing room only.

They had a pretty good food selection. About 5 different restaurants and 3 food trucks to choose from. Lots of nice merchandise you can buy at the team store. The lines were not that bad for food or beer.

The Bandidos group over in the southern part of the stadium are awesome. They were chanting and beating drums all game long. Just a great atmosphere for a soccer match! Plus a 4 - 3 win was nice!

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good. I think it will be good to finally have some stability at Head Coach after a couple of weeks of uncertainty. Hopefully it doesn't take him long to get things back on track.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly Patrice Carteron has worked with Drogba before when he had a coaching stint at Chelsea FC. So he has some familiarity with his new star.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Anybody know how they are going to deal with the heat factor? From what I understand the current stadium is open to the elements. Only thing I can think of is that every game in the summer will be at night.

I'm convinced that the reason Phoenix hasn't had an MLS team before this is mostly because of the weather.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how they are going to deal with the heat factor? From what I understand the current stadium is open to the elements. Only thing I can think of is that every game in the summer will be at night.

I'm convinced that the reason Phoenix hasn't had an MLS team before this is mostly because of the weather.

So the current temporary stadium is out door and open to the elements. Fans will just have to deal with the heat but all games start at 7:30pm. So at least the sun will be down or almost down by kickoff. They only have a total of 5 home games in the months of June, July and August.

The new stadium will be climate controlled should they get selected as one of the MLS expansion teams.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Awesome. It will be nice to go to a sporting event that doesn't cost an arm and a leg when I visit my relatives there.