Mark Grace back on TV

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Mark Grace, having been fired as Assistant Hitting Coach, will be back on D-backs TV on their pre- and post-game shows as an analyst. He will work alongside Todd Walsh or Jody Jackson and be backed up by Brandon Webb.

Hopefully Gracie has put his problems with alcohol behind him. My take on it is that he will probably be OK when he works with Jody Jackson.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Grace reverts to the "I'm a baaaaad boy" routine when he works with Todd Walsh, who was constantly abusing Joe Borowski when he was the analyst.

Just as Daron Sutton did with Grace night after night while calling the games. The egotistical routines of Sutton and of Walsh have been obnoxious.

It is a shame because Todd Walsh is a talented sports reporter. And Gracie is very knowledgeable. But together, if they reprise the Sutton/Grace routine, it will overshadow their sports skills.

My prediction is that Todd Walsh will not be able to resist treating Grace like a child and Grace will not be able to resist acting like one. We shall see!

http://www.azsnakepit.com/2017/2/15...ports-arizonas-new-pre-post-game-show-analyst

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I sent a message to Scott Geyer, D-backs Vice President of Broadcasting, suggesting he monitor the pre- and post-game shows when Todd Walsh and Mark Grace work together. And whether there is any intimidation which could cause Gracie to fall off the wagon. As you said, Ronin, 'hope it works out.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I sent a message to Scott Geyer, D-backs Vice President of Broadcasting, suggesting he monitor the pre- and post-game shows when Todd Walsh and Mark Grace work together. And whether there is any intimidation which could cause Gracie to fall off the wagon. As you said, Ronin, 'hope it works out.

Seriously?

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Seriously?
'Care to elaborate?

I would be disappointed to see Gracie fall off the wagon if his fragile psyche becomes the victim of another abusive broadcast co-worker.

As a fan, I did not enjoy watching the egocentric antics of Daron Sutton or Todd Walsh against Gracie or Joe Borowski. And now, the stage has been set again.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love Gracie on TV so I am happy

I liked him at first but he got old real quick. Anytime a batter didn't swing at something that was over the plate Grace would go off on his "center cut, right down broadway" shtick. Seemed like he would drop that nonsense like 10 times a game. Also, "Bring more signs people!" Then combining him with Sutton's homerism and sanctimony. Man, those were rough years for me.

Anything Todd Walsh makes me push the fast forward on my remote.

Yeah, Todd Walsh is the worst.

Some high leverage at bat going on in the game, tension is building, then all the sudden in the background... "Hey guys, Todd Walsh here..." and then we get 4 minutes of Todd Walsh having a horribly awkward interview with someone in the stands.

That said, I really like Steve and Bob. They keep the game on topic, they're on the low end of homerism and I especially like the dry humor they bring.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I liked him at first but he got old real quick. Anytime a batter didn't swing at something that was over the plate Grace would go off on his "center cut, right down broadway" shtick. Seemed like he would drop that nonsense like 10 times a game. Also, "Bring more signs people!" Then combining him with Sutton's homerism and sanctimony. Man, those were rough years for me.

Yeah, Todd Walsh is the worst.

Some high leverage at bat going on in the game, tension is building, then all the sudden in the background... "Hey guys, Todd Walsh here..." and then we get 4 minutes of Todd Walsh having a horribly awkward interview with someone in the stands.

That said, I really like Steve and Bob. They keep the game on topic, they're on the low end of homerism and I especially like the dry humor they bring.

Todd Walsh can be a very innovative and creative personality. Unfortunately, he is blindly
egotistical. Every sentence begins with the work "I". It should be about the team, not him.

He loves to say his name over and over. At least, with Grace gone, it will be only half as bad.

And as much as I respect Webb's experience, he does not have any sort of TV personality.

Regarding the comedy team of Sutton & Grace, their Abbott & Costello routine wore thin.

The abusive personality and the man-child ("I'm a baaaaad boy.") Sutton and Grace got
boring, and annoying, quickly.

I like Steve. He's not perfect, but he's good. And BB? He is regarded as the best color
commentator in the business. With him having come back from the Cubs and Grace now
going back to the Cube, the D-backs won that delayed trade hands down. :)

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the article he’s still going to be doing DBacks games with Fox Sports and is doing this cubs stuff in addition to that.

Agreed that Todd Walsh is the worst. I cringe every time he’s on air.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
According to the article he’s still going to be doing DBacks games with Fox Sports and is doing this cubs stuff in addition to that.

Agreed that Todd Walsh is the worst. I cringe every time he’s on air.
Gracie is going to be doing D-backs AND Cubs stuff?

We don't need a "sister" team. Isn't that conflict of interest? :)

Oh well, it looks like I will continue to skip the D-backs pre- and post-game shows.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I love Grace but he’s pointless as a pre/post-game analyst. He needs to be the color commentator... The best duo we’ve had was Brennaman/Grace but the teams were mostly trash back then unfortunately.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
todd walsh is an outstanding journalist, and has put on some incredible pieces on some of the players. to think he's the worst is wacko

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
todd walsh is an outstanding journalist, and has put on some incredible pieces on some of the players. to think he's the worst is wacko

Which is why I posted . . .

Todd Walsh can be a very innovative and creative personality. Unfortunately, he is blindly
egotistical. Every sentence begins with the work "I". It should be about the team, not him.

Why would you recognize the good without the bad?

What's "wacko" is one of his bosses at Fox Sports AZ not counseling him to keep
doing the things he does well. But stop making every story about himself. But I
wouldn't use that word to describe it. I'd call it bad management.

Remember, the TV announcers do not work for the D-backs. They work for Fox.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never liked Grace basically wanting and asking for bench clearing brawls during the game. Sutton was atrocious. Never really cared for Breneman...something about his voice was grating. BB is great and Steve is serviceable.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
M. Grace (Matt Grace) pitched one inning in the D-backs win
over the Dodgers and gave all of their three runs.

I hope he didn't use the Mike Fetters windup like Mark Grace. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave