Disney Posts a ‘Healthy Gumbo’ Recipe and Offends Louisianans Everywhere

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disney Posts a ‘Healthy Gumbo’ Recipe and Offends Louisianans Everywhere

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...and-offends-louisianans-everywhere/ar-BBw9CyI

A seemingly innocent video recipe post by Disney for a gumbo to tie in with the New Orleans-based animated film The Princess and the Frog — has drawn criticism on social media.

Disney has since taken down the “Tiana’s Healthy Gumbo” video from the official Facebook page of the movie and its other social media accounts, NOLA.com detailed, but the internet has not forgotten.

The recipe was criticized for “its use of kale, quinoa and its lack of a roux.”

“I can make a better gumbo than this in 45 minutes! I know because I've tried... on nationalTV, no less. This is atrocious,” Jay Ducote, Baton Rouge food blogger and reality TV show regular, wrote. Another comment said, “I'm so offended by this recipe my grandpa would be rolling over in his gravy… I mean grave.”

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
"offended" though? I mean seriously, what doesn't offend people these days? We're doomed if all it takes is a little Kale to cause social media meltdowns.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
"offended" though? I mean seriously, what doesn't offend people these days? We're doomed if all it takes is a little Kale to cause social media meltdowns.

I agree. God forbid anyone offering a "healthy" alternative to the public. Its alarming the upward direction of the obestity rate in this country.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree. God forbid anyone offering a "healthy" alternative to the public. Its alarming the upward direction of the obestity rate in this country.
Exactly. I mean really, if you want to make your Gumbo with 10lbs of Lard and 5 cups of sugar, go ahead, live your dream!

Disney posts a healthy alternative and suddenly there is public outrage. lol Wow.

My former mother in law, who I adored, makes the most amazing Mexican food you could ever hope to taste, but even she replaces the Lard in almost all the recipes with a more healthy alternative, because she wants her family to live past 40. I know, shes a monster. I hope nobody is offended. lol

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, it's akin to offering up a marinara recipe with no tomatoes or oregano. That would "offend" Italians everywhere, as well. They're not offended at the attempt to make something healthier, they're offended at the ingredients chosen to get to that end goal. People are proud of their cuisines, nothing wrong with that.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quinoa is not an acceptable alternative for rice. Hell, it's not a viable alternative for ANYTHING, imo. Had the recipe called for brown rice, I'd bet there wouldn't have been such an uproar.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Eh, it's akin to offering up a marinara recipe with no tomatoes or oregano. That would "offend" Italians everywhere, as well. They're not offended at the attempt to make something healthier, they're offended at the ingredients chosen to get to that end goal. People are proud of their cuisines, nothing wrong with that.

You just offended me! Ya big jerk. #Bertlivesmatter

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Speaking of marinara...Disney uses a great recipe at the Disneyland resort. It's served in the park at the Plaza Inn and at their hotels. Delicious.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Speaking of marinara...Disney uses a great recipe at the Disneyland resort. It's served in the park at the Plaza Inn and at their hotels. Delicious.

This post is offensive!!! REPORTED!

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't understand. Is it like cute offended like "How dare they put ketchup on steak!"

or is it "real" offended like "What are you trying to say, we're fat?!"

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Quinoa is not an acceptable alternative for rice. Hell, it's not a viable alternative for ANYTHING, imo. Had the recipe called for brown rice, I'd bet there wouldn't have been such an uproar.

That's disgusting. Holy crap, kale AND quinoa? Gag.

Geez, what did quinoa ever do to you?

I'm gonna have a kale and quinoa salad for dinner in your honor. :mrgreen:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez, what did quinoa ever do to you?

I'm gonna have a kale and quinoa salad for dinner in your honor. :mrgreen:
It pissed on my palate. More than once...I gave it a good 4 tries. That stuff's so gross.

I do sincerely hope you enjoyed your salad, though :)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It pissed on my palate. More than once...I gave it a good 4 tries. That stuff's so gross.

I do sincerely hope you enjoyed your salad, though :)

I make it all the time; it is quite tasty and cooked right goes great with salmon and broccolini.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Not too surprising. Louisiana is one of the most obese states in the country, and being that America is one of the most obese countries in the world...we can conclude that Louisiana is one of the unhealthiest states...in the world. What a tragedy on trying to promote a healthier lifestyle...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose