2016 Mercury Season Thread

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ughhhhh another tough, close loss tonight. We are now 0-4 to start the season.

Griner was in foul trouble all game. Penny Taylor came to play in the second half and single handedly brought us back into the game. Unfortunately, Bonner missed a free throw to tie it up with 24 seconds and that was the game.

Questionable calls by the refs, too, which certainly didn't help.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Griner looked lost out there - but a couple of those fouls on her were BS.

The bald ref was awful - letting Maya Moore get away with lowering her head and charging, but every time the Mercury started to make a run, he derailed it with an awful call.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 game win streak :)

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great win tonight. Mercury were down all game (biggest deficit was 14 points, I think) but they came back to win it. Diana T and Bonner took control in the second half.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saturday nights loss was killer. We were up by about 14 at one point and the Wings (such a horrible team name) came back to force OT. And another OT (after we were leading by 7). Some pretty crappy losses at home. My in person attendance record this far is 1-3. Ugh.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats to Diana Taurasi on her 7,000 career point tonight. Mercury win, too.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Congrats to Diana Taurasi on her 7,000 career point tonight. Mercury win, too.
Absolutely!

I must say I am disappointed in how Griner has not turned into the presence in the middle we expected. She has not learned how to stay out of foul trouble. Her scoring, rebounding and blocking are inconsistent. And it is negatively affecting the rest of the team.

She has shown that in her personal life, she acts like a flake. I guess it represents Brittney's professional career as well.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great win against LA last night. The Merc are 2-0 since coming back from the Olympic break. Keep it up!

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are on a nice little run.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Even more than on a nice little run, since the break, they are playing as we expected since the end of last season. It is good to see.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Even more than on a nice little run, since the break, they are playing as we expected since the end of last season. It is good to see.
Into a 1-game playoff series. I hope the Mighty Mercury can put it all together. I think that Griner is the key.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Griner has really stepped it up these last few games (just my opinion). She seems to be more aggressive in the paint which is great to see.

Anything can happen in a 1 game series. Let's go Mercury! Sucks the game is st 3pm tomorrow.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great win!!!

Next game vs Liberty this Saturday at 4pm

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a game!!!! DT has ice cold veins. BG played LIGHTS OUT. Bonner had some huge steals. What a fantastic win!!!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What a great victory. Griner with, what was it, 20 points, 9 boards and 4 blocks. As great as Diana Taurus is, if she has an off day, DeWanna (my favorite Mercury player) can step up. But it takes a solid game from Brittney for us to win. And she did. And they did.

BBA -- Beat the Big Apple. And we did. Now it is on to regular series rather than one sudden death game. They are peaking at just the right time. But they do have a tough series coming up. Go, Mighty Mercury.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mercury made a good run of it in the beginning of the playoffs but couldn't ever seem to get going against Minnesota. They exceeded my expectations in terms of the first two sudden death games to even make it to the series with Minnesota.

Good luck and thank you to Penny Taylor who played her last WNBA game today.