I bought a guitar

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have that amp. Pretty decent little amp that's really easy to throw in a trunk and lug around.
I ended up getting a different one since that one wasn't there. It cost more but it's sweet
Just keep at it. That's all you can do, really. If you can fit time in every day you'll builds up some gnarly calluses. I started out with what, at the time, felt like a high action guitar. I've moved onto a slightly lower action guitar, but I can go back and play it now just fine. It was murder on my fingers at first though.

Also, I've been playing off and on for about 2 years now, maybe a little more. I STILL struggle with the F chord. I have girly little hands and can only play a sloppy, horrible sounding F.
I'll let you know how f goes when I get there ;)

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
me and the note D are not friends. For some reason I have a harder time pushing down those skinny strings over the normal strings. Part of it is the pain in my finger tips but still, I was able to keep playing a EMinor/G combo song but every time I try to go to D I just cant quite push them down properly. Action lowering may be necessary on the acoustic.

You were able to play a full D-chord pretty easy on 9 guage strings.

Now you gotta learn the other chords, bar chords and the pentatonic scale.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were able to play a full D-chord pretty easy on 9 guage strings.

Now you gotta learn the other chords, bar chords and the pentatonic scale.
D felt a lot better on the electric for sure. Guitar center has it hopefully they are done tomorrow. I can't wait to plug it in and make up a 4 chord distorted crunchy metal song for fun

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lol ill check that out tonight on my phone.

So, I have downloaded the tabs for Oasis - Wonderwall. Strong acoustic, easy to hear. I plan to be able to play most of it if not all of it by Sunday. Wish me luck! it is mostly only 4 chords, sometimes 5 and a lot of the notes are SUS which I think will help me a lot as it involves less hand movement when changing chords.

Also, guitar center did not have that amp so I got this one instead:

http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplifiers/contemporary/mustang-i-v.2/2300100000.html#start=1

Features

20 watts
8” Fender Special Design speaker
17 amp models and 24 onboard presets
Reverb, delay/echo, tremolo, phaser and other effects
USB connectivity for user programming and audio recording output
Ableton® Live Lite 8 Fender Edition studio-quality recording software
Amp modeling

This amplifier features digital amplifier modeling encompassing a variety of amp types old and new, U.S. and U.K., and more. From classic Fender amp sounds to modern designs voiced for specific styles (i.e., metal), it’s just like having several amps in one.

So by the flip of a knob I can go from 60s beatles style to 2000's metal distortion presets. its really cool. also can feed music into it to play along with.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol ill check that out tonight on my phone.

So, I have downloaded the tabs for Oasis - Wonderwall. Strong acoustic, easy to hear. I plan to be able to play most of it if not all of it by Sunday. Wish me luck! it is mostly only 4 chords, sometimes 5 and a lot of the notes are SUS which I think will help me a lot as it involves less hand movement when changing chords.

It's a tricky rhythm but have at it. It really helps with the timing when you are familiar with the song.

Also, guitar center did not have that amp so I got this one instead:

http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplifiers/contemporary/mustang-i-v.2/2300100000.html#start=1

So by the flip of a knob I can go from 60s beatles style to 2000's metal distortion presets. its really cool. also can feed music into it to play along with.

Looks awesome! I know my wife would like the headphone jack. :D

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a tricky rhythm but have at it. It really helps with the timing when you are familiar with the song.

Looks awesome! I know my wife would like the headphone jack. :D

yeah I have some awesome headphones I bought for my xbox that I can use too.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Watch out if you actually get proficient and it's a very enjoyable pastime for you...It. Is. Expensive. I started out buying an electric guitar with my first real paycheck (in 1995). I knew nothing. Learned Iron Man (of course) and 20 years later I'm probably $75k or more into my music gear. Once you're happy with the guitar, you might want to mess with arrangements with more diversity, so you buy a bass. A 4 string just won't do, so of course you'll need a 5 string for those tunes needing a low D or B. Then, what the hell, let's buy some keyboards...

Well, it can snowball from there.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch out if you actually get proficient and it's a very enjoyable pastime for you...It. Is. Expensive. I started out buying an electric guitar with my first real paycheck (in 1995). I knew nothing. Learned Iron Man (of course) and 20 years later I'm probably $75k or more into my music gear. Once you're happy with the guitar, you might want to mess with arrangements with more diversity, so you buy a bass. A 4 string just won't do, so of course you'll need a 5 string for those tunes needing a low D or B. Then, what the hell, let's buy some keyboards...

I'd be OK with that but for now I'll stick to amateur goals!

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be OK with that but for now I'll stick to amateur goals!

That's fine for now, but start saving money. If you want to play in front of people you need a tube amp, and by tube amp I mean a Marshall.

A used tube combo goes for about $700. Don't mess around.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hi, my name is Puck, and I have G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

It's been 10 minutes since I checked Craig's List.

My living room has a full band set up and a 4 mic P.A. with monitors.

Every week people come to my house and jam.

I've invested in soundproofing.

I feel like I've saved money if I spend $500 but I used a 10% off coupon.

I could go on, but I need to check Craig's List again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Puck, and I have G.A.S. (Gear Aquisition Syndrome)

It's been 10 minutes since I checked Craig's List.

My living room has a full band set up and a 4 mic P.A. with monitors.

Every week people come to my house and jam.

I've invested in soundproofing.

I feel like I've saved money if I spend $500 but I used a 10% off coupon.

I could go on, but I need to check Craig's List again.

even my free guitar ran $65 to dial in, 120 for an amp, 15 for a cable, etc :)

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
My current project. Slowly restoring a 1974 Moog synth. It's a PolyMoog model 203a. Weighs a ton.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
My current project. Slowly restoring a 1974 Moog synth. It's a PolyMoog model 203a. Weighs a ton.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be some sort of electronics wizard. It looks like a nightmare. That is all I can say about that. :)

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
It's not really all that scary. The thing works, just has a few keys that don't yet work. 90% of my work on it will be cleaning. Removing each chip, and dusting, then reseating them is most of the task.

I've had it for 10 years, but I'm just now getting around to working on it. A friend found it in a dumpster at Taliesin West when he was in school there. A rainstorm was just starting and we had to rescue it. When restored I can probably get $4-6k for it. I'd love to play it regularly, but it's just too heavy, and frankly, my other modern keyboards sound better... ;-)

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
isnt your brother Brian? Or is that someone elses brother
Sorry for the delay--just saw this.

Yes, Brian is my brother, but I have two. I was referring to the other one. The BUFFALO BILLS fan...lol.

Reaction score
BRR, you have some catching up to do. :D

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose