I bought a guitar

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thanks to some amazing generosity, I will also have an electric guitar soon. I am thinking on the days my fingers hurt from acoustic, I can play the electric since the strings are easier to push down on.

I am also now considering buying rocksmith to help teach me as well since I will have an electric to plug in to it.

The first thing I would do is take your guitar to a reputable shop and have them lower your action. It makes a ton of difference. Also, spend the six bucks and buy a can of Finger Ease. It will help immensely when learning to move up and down the neck. Still, get ready, your fingers are going to hurt. Even now, if I play more than usual, they will get sore and I have good pads built up. Don't give up. Pretty soon things start to click as your finger-memory kicks in.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty damn sweet. Amazing generosity is an understatement!

Those have the "blower" switch don't they? Great invention.

I have always preferred rosewood for my fret-boards too.

Well done, BRR!

Yes, Jw7 is the ultra generous awesome person hooking me up.

I plan to pick this up after work saturday at guitar center so I have an amp and can play with distortion if I want:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...Vg8cCFUI6iAodt9MDgQ&ei=TkK6VcG4McL0oAS3p4-ICA

You must be registered for see images attach

Fenders Frontman 10G Guitar Combo Amplifier get quality tone at an acceptable price. The Custom-voiced built-in overdrive gives this amp its great tone. The Frontman 10G features a 6 inch custom design speaker and a selectable gain control that offers rock guitar tones from Emulated tube overdrive to saturated distortion, blues, metal and the famous Fender clean tone. Heavy bass response is gained thru this amplifiers. Closed-back design. 1/8 inch input lets you play along with your CD or MP3 player as the 1/8 inch headphone output allows for silent practicing. The 10G Combo boasts the unmistakable Fender Blackface look.
'

Only $60 and I can plug in my awesome xbox headphones so I dont drive my wife nuts.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first thing I would do is take your guitar to a reputable shop and have them lower your action. It makes a ton of difference. Also, spend the six bucks and buy a can of Finger Ease. It will help immensely when learning to move up and down the neck. Still, get ready, your fingers are going to hurt. Even now, if I play more than usual, they will get sore and I have good pads built up. Don't give up. Pretty soon things start to click as your finger-memory kicks in.

is finger ease some type of lube that makes it easier to slide on the strings?

What is "action"? EDIT: so it sounds like lower action means easier to push the strings? I imagine this will be less of an issue on electric than it is on acoustic?

In the guitar and similar instruments, the term action denotes the distance between the fingerboard and the string, which determines how easy it is to sound notes when pressure is applied with the fingertips. Generally a low action is considered to be more playable, due to the lower amount of pressure needed to press the string to the fingerboard. However, if the action is set too low, there is a danger that the vibrating string will strike the frets or fingerboard below it, creating an unwanted buzzing noise (on fretted instruments, this is known as fret buzz). Conversely, if the action is too high, then the strings may be too taut to fully depress.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
is finger ease some type of lube that makes it easier to slide on the strings?

What is "action"? EDIT: so it sounds like lower action means easier to push the strings? I imagine this will be less of an issue on electric than it is on acoustic?

Finger ease is a spray that you spray on the neck and then then wipe it down with a soft rag. Yes, it lubes both the neck and the fingerboard.

Yes, that's what action means and it is "usually" less of a problen with an electric. When you have this done, they will make sure your neck is straight and will adjust it to minimalize fret buzz. This really is an inexpensive procedure (20-50 bucks) and is a must on any new guitar I buy, including my Taylor.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finger ease is a spray that you spray on the neck and then then wipe it down with a soft rag. Yes, it lubes both the neck and the fingerboard.

Yes, that's what action means and it is "usually" less of a problen with an electric. When you have this done, they will make sure your neck is straight and will adjust it to minimalize fret buzz. This really is an inexpensive procedure (20-50 bucks) and is a must on any new guitar I buy, including my Taylor.

im heading to guitar center for amp after I get guitar so I will have them check it out for me for sure. thanks for input.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sucked at playing the guitar for two reasons.

First, I didn't have the left hand/right hand coordination that is needed.

Second, I used my fingers too hard on the fretboard. You need to play light.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My first electric was an eighties explorer copy made in Korea by a company called Antares. The neck was like a giant V, had terrible action, frets were gone, and it weighed a ton even though it wasn't solid wood. Ugh. I still have it. :doi:

My first guitar was some SEARS thing. It was a hollow body and the strings were like an inch off the fretboard. About a year went by and I bought a Gibson SG Special. That was like 1969. I only wish I had that back. But I've still got the SEARS thing. :D

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, Jw7 is the ultra generous awesome person hooking me up.

I plan to pick this up after work saturday at guitar center so I have an amp and can play with distortion if I want:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...Vg8cCFUI6iAodt9MDgQ&ei=TkK6VcG4McL0oAS3p4-ICA

'

Only $60 and I can plug in my awesome xbox headphones so I dont drive my wife nuts.

You'll fit right in with RC and I. :D

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good advice. Guitar Center is probably better than nothing, but if you really get into this, I would keep an eye out for someone better. My guy is in Cave Creek and I refuse to go to anyone else. I know you're on the East side so maybe someone has a tech out there they could recommend.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first guitar was some SEARS thing. It was a hollow body and the strings were like an inch off the fretboard. About a year went by and I bought a Gibson SG Special. That was like 1969. I only wish I had that back. But I've still got the SEARS thing. :D

:thud:

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I know, right? I spent a little over $300 for that masterpiece. I also had a Kustom 150 amp in blue sparkle padding. Man, those were the days. Add that to my Peter Frampton hair (70's version) and man I was a rock star. :D

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll fit right in with RC and I. :D

RC = rivercard?

I plan to get good and once it happens, I wouldnt mind jamming with you!

Good advice. Guitar Center is probably better than nothing, but if you really get into this, I would keep an eye out for someone better. My guy is in Cave Creek and I refuse to go to anyone else. I know you're on the East side so maybe someone has a tech out there they could recommend.

I actually have some friends in florence that moved from NY and started a guitar shop. I dont think they knew much about florence and since have had to close that shop and start a farm but the guy is a guitar tech that does lots of online stuff, custom guitars and etc. I could take it to him but that wouldnt happen any time soon as florence is quite the trek.

Maybe I can do guitar center just to see if everything is good to go and then next time we visit the farm I will bring both guitars.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RC = rivercard?

I plan to get good and once it happens, I wouldnt mind jamming with you!

I actually have some friends in florence that moved from NY and started a guitar shop. I dont think they knew much about florence and since have had to close that shop and start a farm but the guy is a guitar tech that does lots of online stuff, custom guitars and etc. I could take it to him but that wouldnt happen any time soon as florence is quite the trek.

Maybe I can do guitar center just to see if everything is good to go and then next time we visit the farm I will bring both guitars.

Yeah, Rivercard had a Fender Cyber-Twin in a video he posted.

Sure, I have the space all set up for jamming. Loudly. ;)

Absolutely have your buddy hook you up when you get out there. He can watch you play and set it up specifically for you.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, right? I spent a little over $300 for that masterpiece. I also had a Kustom 150 amp in blue sparkle padding. Man, those were the days. Add that to my Peter Frampton hair (70's version) and man I was a rock star. :D

Thud again. $300???? Probably worth 10x that now. Those old Kustom's came from Chanute, KS as I recall. Didn't they call it "Tuck and Roll" padding or something like that?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Does it have a speaker cord jack? Of so go out and buy guitar Smith for Playstation or xbox. Thing is great to learn from.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thud again. $300???? Probably worth 10x that now. Those old Kustom's came from Chanute, KS as I recall. Didn't they call it "Tuck and Roll" padding or something like that?

Yeah, at least that much. And yes it was called tuck and roll after the popular car interiors for hot rods in those days.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That should be a great starter Amp. Soon we'll have to start hooking you up with a few tasty pedals.

I believe I happen to have a Boss DS-1 that could be looking for a good home. :rockon:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's yours. I can mail it or wait until the next time you're on the west side and meet you somewhere. No charge.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's yours. I can mail it or wait until the next time you're on the west side and meet you somewhere. No charge.

I dont feel I am near ready for distortion and etc until I can play chords but it cannot hurt to start stockpiling stuff for once I can rock ;)

Where on westside? I am around 17 and bell about every two weeks. Further west I dont plan on being until monday night football in october.

If anything, PM me your address and ill send you $10 to pay for shipping.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose