NBA Free Agency: Realistic options for the Suns

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who might the Suns go after in free agency with the expectation they might be able to sign? Everyone can be included but I would like the discussion to focus on more realistic options rather than players like Lebron, Marc Gasol and Kawhi Leonard. HoopsHype has a list of free agent players that might become available. The link is below.

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency_2015.htm

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are a few names that caught my eye at first glance: Alexis Ajinca, Thomas Robinson, Kevin Seraphin and Aaron Brooks.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Here are a few names that caught my eye at first glance: Alexis Ajinca, Thomas Robinson, Kevin Seraphin and Aaron Brooks.

For those kind of names, why even bother? We need to find a way to get a star, until then we'll be irrelevant.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those kind of names, why even bother? We need to find a way to get a star, until then we'll be irrelevant.

So what names to you have in mind? I don't think Kevin Love is coming to the Suns. The last free agency the Suns were left with egg on their face except for IT.

The names I mentioned are depth players that should be available. I'm especially looking for size to help the frontline and another PG on the cheap. I think the Suns should go after at least one quality FA but I'm not sure who they can lure. Also I'm hoping the Suns will look to size in the first round of the draft if the talent is available.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It kinda stinks that the Suns are going to be going against the bigger markets (NY & LAL) to get the likes of Marc Gasol, Kevin Love, etc.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Aldridge. I see no point in picking up more role players if the Suns don't have any sort of solid foundation to build around yet. So unless there are some young free agents with star potential out there who are available (there aren't) then might as well not bother with the lesser names.

But I would like to see the Suns make an effort at luring Aldridge, even though they have little chance.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It kinda stinks that the Suns are going to be going against the bigger markets (NY & LAL) to get the likes of Marc Gasol, Kevin Love, etc.

This is true but I'd like to get a young player to play behind Len and behind or in front of Markieff. A player like Kevin Seraphin is interesting.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what stinks even more is that it didn't used to matter... the previous regime was getting the biggest name FA to come here for pennies on the dollar (with wink wink deals of course). Now, armed with a MAX salary slot, we're not even on ANYONE's radar. That sucks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aldridge. I see no point in picking up more role players if the Suns don't have any sort of solid foundation to build around yet. So unless there are some young free agents with star potential out there who are available (there aren't) then might as well not bother with the lesser names.

But I would like to see the Suns make an effort at luring Aldridge, even though they have little chance.

I don't mind going for a big name but the Suns should not put all their eggs in one basket. IMO, they should have a FA list rated sort of like a draft board. I think the Suns were lured by the big names last free agency and they did not look at the tier just behind them. This free agency will have some interesting names available but without the star label.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So what names to you have in mind? I don't think Kevin Love is coming to the Suns. The last free agency the Suns were left with egg on their face except for IT.

The names I mentioned are depth players that should be available. I'm especially looking for size to help the frontline and another PG on the cheap. I think the Suns should go after at least one quality FA but I'm not sure who they can lure. Also I'm hoping the Suns will look to size in the first round of the draft if the talent is available.

Oh, I agree...it seems quite unlikely we'll get a star in FA. My point is, I'm not going to allocate much in terms of resources to sign depth guys. We have to hope some of our young guys continue to develop, and we're able to make a trade.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
what stinks even more is that it didn't used to matter... the previous regime was getting the biggest name FA to come here for pennies on the dollar (with wink wink deals of course). Now, armed with a MAX salary slot, we're not even on ANYONE's radar. That sucks.
Agreed. Plus I think Dragic's blasting of the front office is going to make potential free agents look elsewhere or second guess coming to the Suns. So that's going another hurdle that the Suns FO are going to have to jump over.....

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
I think we should make a play with a sign and trade (for a max. deal) for Jimmy Butler, who I believe will be a major star away from Derrick Rose. I would think something like Bledsoe, Keiff, and a first round pick that we received in one of the trades, for Butler (Max. Deal) and whatever filler they would need. Then you would have Knight (re-signed), Butler, Len, and Warren to build this team around. Plus you would still have this years first round pick. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Agreed. Plus I think Dragic's blasting of the front office is going to make potential free agents look elsewhere or second guess coming to the Suns. So that's going another hurdle that the Suns FO are going to have to jump over.....
The only way the Suns ownership/front office are going to overcome the hurdle is to move on.

Seriously, is SOS-DD going to change the perception of constantly breaking up the roster to cover their lack of foresight?

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns need to consolidate 2-3 "good" players and obtain a "very good" player.

This will improve chemistry as players get more minutes and development time.
It'll eliminate the competitive culture amongst them trying to prove they deserve minutes.

Suns have Bogdanovic to come and a 13th pick this year also.

They need to really package multiple players IMO.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
Suns need to consolidate 2-3 "good" players and obtain a "very good" player.

This will improve chemistry as players get more minutes and development time.
It'll eliminate the competitive culture amongst them trying to prove they deserve minutes.

Suns have Bogdanovic to come and a 13th pick this year also.

They need to really package multiple players IMO.

Easier said than done! Would be nice though!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In free agency, swing for the fences. Go for superstars or players you think could be. Don't think about whether you have a chance or not and don't worry if you fail. Better to fail at getting a superstar than succeed at signing more mediocre players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aaron Brooks.

lol

I know, it is sort of funny but the Suns seem to like scoring PGs.

Brooks, who is now a FA, had a reported salary with the Bulls of only $915,243 last season. His per game stats was 11.6 PPG and 3.2 APG. It seems he produced well for the money paid.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Not so sure about that! I have heard several times that Butler and Rose do not get along.

If that is indeed true, they might deal Rose... he's been a pretty staunch supporter of Thibodeau. Besides, I'd rather have Butler at this juncture, wouldn't you.