Thoughts on the Cardinals' 2014 Draft

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Going into the draft my top 4 at #20 were:

1. Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio St. My feeling was that we need to add speed to the defense in order to chase down Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick. Shazier's game speed on tape was eye-popping. My fear was that the Cardinals have said that they like OLBs with length and therefore they would not even consider Shazier. But, then again, I felt that perhaps Shazier would be just as nifty a fit at WILB...but, of course, at the draft we had no way of knowing that the WILB the Cardinals had just given a $10M roster bonus to, Daryl Washington, was goung to incur a season-long suspension.

2. Dee Ford, OLB/DE, Auburn. What sold me on Ford was his tape versus Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M, plus his three sack performance in the National Championship game versus Jameis Winston and Florida St. What Ford displayed was uncanny body control when chasing the QB. He mirrored Manziel move for move and corralled him with relative ease. Hello Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick, I thought. Again, I feared that because of the Cardinals' preference for length at OLB that Ford would not be as high on their board as a viable option at #20.

3. Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington St. Having pored through hours of comparative tape of all the top safety prospects, I found myself leaning toward Bucannon because of all of them he commanded the box better than anyone. Plus, he was the best tackler, hitting-wise and form-wise. At the beginning of the draft process Bucannon was projected as a late 2nd to early 3rd round pick. My own grade on him was much higher than that---and suddenly I had company because one day Charles Davis at NFL Network started making the argument that Bucannon was not only worthy of a 1st round pick, but that he was good enough to be the 1st safety taken in the draft. There were concerns about his abilities in coverage, but on tape I saw him handle his coverage assignments with aplomb---and I saw him make numerous, perfectly-timed interceptions. My worry was that he wouldn't drop to the Cardinals at #52---so the Cardinals were either going to have to take him in round one or find a way to move up into the early portions of round two to take him.

4. Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon St. For years, as everyone knows, I have been stressing the Cardinals' need for speed at WR. For one, without a legitimate speed threat on offense teams could continue to play high-low stack double teams on Fitz. In big games, that really hurts us. Cooks ran a blistering 4.3 at the Combine and when you watch him on tape he has the total package---the hands, route running precision, burst off his cuts, major RAC ability, no fear over the middle, etc. For a diminutive player, Cooks is impressively strong and plays with such excellent balance and body control.

The Arizona Cardinals are on the clock---pick #20:

Shazier---much to my dismay---was taken by the Steelers at #15. So, he is out. But, Ford, Bucannon and Cooks are sitting there.

OK---I am sticking to my board and saying the pick needs to be Dee Ford, because to me the most pressing need is at OLB/DE (rush end/LB). I am thinking that if Tyrann Mathieu comes back strong, we already have a good safety trio with Mathieu, Johnson and Jefferson. But we don't have a rusher like Ford on our roster. I am tempted to want Cooks over Ford---but I like some other speed WRs in this draft and I realize that beyond round 1, the best edge rushers will be snatched up.

Ford has to be the pick. I am certain of it.

Suddenly---the New Orleans Saints are on the clock. They need an edge rusher too. Man, what is going on here?

The Cardinals are getting the Saints' #27 and #91 picks---so I am thinking that's very good value for moving down 7 spots---and maybe Ford, Bucannon and Cooks will all still be there at #27---or at least one of them will---I hope.

The Saints select Brandin Cooks at #20. It even makes sense seeing as they had traded WR/RB Darren Sproles and now needed a replacement. I kept hearing so many of the voices prior to the draft who insisted "you don't draft a slot WR in the first round." Well, the game has changed. Look at the impact that slot WRs had in this year's Super Bowl.

At #23 the Chiefs---who already have two bona fide Pro Bowl type edge rushers on their roster with Tamba Hali and Justin Houston, take Dee Ford.

My reaction: how come other teams get the whole need for edge pressure in the passing game and year after year the Cardinals don't?

I am ripped. I even see the Eagles right in front of us at #26 (don't they always seem to be right in front of us when we need a pass rusher?) shock the draft by taking OLB Marcus Smith of Louisville.

Did I miss something with Smith? I went back to my notes. I had him as a late 2nd, early 3rd rounder. Just the same, another edge rusher bites the dust. I liked Kyle Van Noy better. Maybe the Cardinals are targeting Van Noy? he fits the bill---length, size to speed ratio, edge rush ability.

However, just the same, I am feeling relieved that Deone Bucannon is still on the board. I feel quite certain that he is going to be the pick. Then ESPN shows him on the phone at his own draft party and I feel elated.

"With the 27th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select: safety Deone Bucannon of Washington St."

So admired how humble he was through all the interviews. In many ways, he reminded me of Adrian Wilson, my favorite Cardinals' safety since Larry Wilson---humble and ever hungry.

What none of us could have known at this time was that because of Washington's suspension, that Bucannon would not be inserted as the starting SS, but would become the nickel LB instead. The good news is he was pretty effective in such a needed role. The bad news is that he lost a year's experience at his natural position.

The Arizona Cardinals are on the clock---pick #52:

I imagine you too had visions of sugar plums dancing your heads as DE Kony Ealy, RBs Carlos Hype and Bishop Sankey, and QB Jimmy Garoppolo are all available at this spot.

Ealy was rated by many as the #2 DE behind Jadeveon Clowney. What a surprise to see him still available. He's an edge rusher in a 4 man rush who can also rush from the inside. He's likely not a 34 OLB. But, hey, if he can rush the edge on passing downs, fine.

Hyde would be the thunder to Ellington's lightning---but BA said he wanted a RB in Ellington's mold to pair with him so that the offense doesn't need to change, so Sankey is just that type of RB.

Garoppolo has the "it" factor---super accurate and nicely mobile. To me, he is the Day 2 QB gem that Russell Wilson turned out to be---and as the clock was ticking, I am saying to myself, what could be more important that snagging the QBOF.

"With the 52nd pick in the 2104 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select: tight end Troy Niklas of Notre Dame."

Honestly, I get the need for a blocking TE, but I feel very disappointed with this pick based on what players are on the board. There is no way anyone could convince me that Niklas was even close to being the best football player on the board at that time.

When I watched him on tape---I saw a good, rugged blocker, but as a receiver he looked stiff, slow and awkward---and even fought the ball in attempting to catch it on some occasions. I remember thinking that with some added pounds he could be a good right tackle.

The TE that I was hoping for was C.J. Fiedorowicz of Iowa---imo, just as good a blocker as Niklas and much more natural an athlete---plus has good RAC ability. But, I was hoping for Fiedorowicz in round 3 or 4---not even him ahead of the likes of Ealy, Hyde, Sankey and Garoppolo.

As it turned out:

54. Sankey-Titans (nice replacement for Chris Johnson)
57. Hyde-49ers (man, that one hurt---they already have Gore)
60. Ealy-Panthers (man, they already have legit pass rushers)
62. Garoppolo-Patriots (man, they already have Tom Brady)

As for Niklas---due to a broken hand in OTAs and two high ankle sprains (the second of which landed him on the IR after Week 11), he only was able to contribute in a few games this year. One could argue that the best young TE on the roster right now is Darren Fells. Hopefully Niklas and Fells will emerge as a healthy and productive TE tandem this year.

"With the number 84 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select: defensive end Kareem Martin of North Carolina."

Having watched several tapes of Martin, I was intrigued with this pick, because of his length and edge pass rushing potential. At UNC he was best rushing from the left side---but there were some issues I saw---he tended to play a little too upright, his hand punches were not as sudden or effective as one would like, and while he showed a good slippery burst around the corner when he was able to get around the tackle, he rarely sinked his hips into his tackles, nor did he disengage well when the QB was on the move---which in the NFC West is a must.

What didn't occur to me at all was him being drafted as a 34 DE---largely because he did not look strong enough at the point of attack to play on the interior. I saw him as a situational LDE in a four man rush on passing downs. It therefore did not surprise me to see him struggle in the base 34 at DE.

The good news for the Cardinals is that they claimed 34DE Josh Mauro off of the Steelers' practice squad and his strength and maneuverability at the point of attack are superior to Martin's.

Thus, at this point, it is difficult to see where Martin belongs. Can he develop as a situational rusher? can he add the strength to be a factor in the rotation at 34DE?

"With the number 91 pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select: wide receiver John Brown of Pittsburg St."

This pick had me jumping for joy. While Brown has nowhere near the polish or playing balance and strength of Brandin Cooks, he is the type of speedy field stretcher the Cardinals have lacked. Brown reminds me some of the rookie BA developed in Indy in T.Y. Hilton, although Hilton was more NFL ready than Brown.

Brown actually turned out to be more dynamic at this point of his assimilation into the NFL than I had thought. Brown showed from the very first game versus the Chargers a penchant for making the big play at the best time. His game winning TDs versus the Chargers, Eagles and Rams were electrifying. The questions are moving into his second year is whether he can assume a more diversified role in the offense and whether he can hold up physically as he develops himself as a bona fide threat over the middle.

"With the number 120th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select quarterback Logan Thomas of Virginia Tech."

I think that to a degree we all were surprised and even shocked by this pick. Not just because Thomas is such an under-developed talent, but because big-game college QBs such as A.J. McCarron (Alabama) and Zach Mettenberger (LSU) were on the board at #120.

I guess the biggest question is how in year two of the BA&SK Era they could already be using 4th round picks as luxury picks when there clearly are need areas that have not been fully addressed.

Now---Thomas' physical traits are off the charts---no question. But, his development as a QB is so behind schedule that it makes one wonder whether he will ever have a legitimate chance to vie for a starting job in the NFL, especially when #3 QB run the scout teams and get little to no snaps with the offense during the season.

BA has already stated that young QBs do not develop holding clipboards.

What is mind-boggling even is how Thomas was used in the pre-season. he gets off to a roaring start in pre-season game one---even BA was gloating over Thomas' debut and basically telling the critics to go you know where---but then BA doesn't even play Thomas in the next game and decides to give valuable pre-season playing time to Ryan Lindley, whom everyone knows is going to get cut.

Weird.

Even more weird that Lindley was brought back to play in front of Thomas. At least the last part of the season wouldn't have gone to total waster if Thomas got some valuable experience. How can he be on the roster all year and not warrant to start over Lindley?

It was as early as thew 4th game (at Denver) where it became clear that Thomas or another #3 QB was going to have to play if Palmer and/or Stanton were injured.

Sure, Thomas struggled in the Denver game---but he didn't look scared---and at that point in the game the Broncos were sending the kitchen sink at him. And he did manage to throw an 81 yard TD to Andre Ellington on a neatly fitted rope up the sideline. At least that gave Thomas a taste of success.

At this point it almost seems as if Thomas is in the exact same place he was when he was drafted---raw and out of the picture.

"With the 160th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select: defensive tackle Ed Stinson of Alabama."

Honestly, I was not fond of this pick when it was announced. When I watched Stinson on tape prior to the draft, he seemed a little smallish to me and while he was good at holding up the guard at the point of attack he wasn't all that quick at disengaging or in chasing plays down. Nor was he adept at getting into the opposing backfield. Plus, he wasn't a productive pass rusher.

What I learned after the draft was how beat up Stinson was his senior year---how he played through nagging injuries---and how that affected the quality of his play.

In the pre-season I saw exactly what I saw at Alabama--- a lot of thud and stop at the line and little movement otherwise.

To see how he emerged in the rotation a few weeks into the season was one of the biggest surprises of the year. He was far more active in his technique and was chasing down plays and even showed a little flash here and there rushing the passer. Alas, he didn't hold up physically was was lost for the year. But---at least there were flashes---more so than with Martin.

Note---to think that McCarron and Mettenberger were still on the board at this point is tantalizing because they might have been able to be viable #3 options, while Thomas was not even a consideration.

"With the 196th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select: wide receiver Walt Powell of Murray St."

Honestly---I had to scramble to the computer for this one because i had not seen any tape of Powell. What I saw impressed me. The most special of his traits is his ability to make the first tackler miss. Plus, he was a stalwart on STs. But--I was wondering as you likely were how he could possibly make the roster.

Powell had a good pre-season. I knew that teams were eying the Cardinals' WR cuts. It was no surprise to me when Powell was claimed by the New York Jets. It was a wasted pick.

However---the Cardinals picked up the 201st pick of the 2014 NFL Draft in RB Marion Grice of Arizona State and they recently signed the 202nd pick in tackle Tavon Rooks of Kansas St.

Undrafted 2014 Free Agents:

K Chandler Catanzaro, Clemson---big-time gem.

LB Glenn Carson, Penn St.---played some significant snaps down the stretch.

G/C Anthony Steen---was promoted to the 53 man roster from the PS late in the season.

BA&SK Drafts---Hit or Miss (Value/Production) To Date: Note: "To Date"---Subject to Change, Hopefully.

2013:

1. G Jonathan Cooper---MISS
2. LB Kevin Minter--MISS
3. S Tyrann Mathieu---HIT
4. OLB Alex Okafor---HIT
4. G Earl Watford---MISS
5. RB Stepfan Taylor---TBD
6. WR Ryan Swope---MISS
6. RB Andre Ellington---HIT*
7. TE D.C. Jefferson---MISS

FA S Tony Jefferson---HIT
FA WR Jaron Brown---HIT

2014:

1. S Deone Bucannon---HIT
2. TE Troy Niklas---MISS
3. DE Kareem Martin---MISS
3. WR John Brown---HIT*
4. QB Logan Thomas---MISS
5. DE Ed Stinson---HIT
6. WR Walt Powell---MISS

FA K Chandler Catanzaro---HIT*
FA LB Glenn Carson---HIT
FA G Anthony Steen---TBD

* Best Value

2015 Needs:

OLB---Hard to believe that only 1 (Okafor, 4th Rd. 2013) has been drafted.
OG---Glaring need despite using a 1st and a 4th in 2013.
RB---Big, durable type
TE---Depth
QB---No QBOF as of yet
NT---Big void if Big Dan bolts
ILB---Most unsettled of any position perhaps
CB---As the Cro flies, the need magnifies---not one drafted by BA&SK to date

Time to Step UP in 2015:

1-OG Cooper
2-LB Minter
2-TE Niklas
3-DE Martin
4-OG Watford
4-QB Thomas
5-RB Taylor

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is very very early to label Martin and Niklas as misses. You have to remember Martin is switching to a different position all together. He has all the athletic ability in the world but point blank he's just not strong enough this early in his career. I don't expect him to do anything until the second half of the upcoming season and in year 3. That was an investment pick all the physical tools just needs to get stronger and learn his new position. Kind of reminds me of another giant athletic freak the cardinals drafted awhile back from The U. People really forget CC didn't do anything his first year in the NFL hardly did anything his second year there very similar.

Niklas should of stayed in school but nearly everyone said had he stayed in school he would of been by far the number one TE in this draft. He was hurt all year you can't call him a miss.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The Arizona Cardinals are on the clock---pick #52:

I imagine you too had visions of sugar plums dancing your heads as DE Kony Ealy, RBs Carlos Hype and Bishop Sankey, and QB Jimmy Garoppolo are all available at this spot.

Ealy was rated by many as the #2 DE behind Jadeveon Clowney. What a surprise to see him still available. He's an edge rusher in a 4 man rush who can also rush from the inside. He's likely not a 34 OLB. But, hey, if he can rush the edge on passing downs, fine.

Hyde would be the thunder to Ellington's lightning---but BA said he wanted a RB in Ellington's mold to pair with him so that the offense doesn't need to change, so Sankey is just that type of RB.

Garoppolo has the "it" factor---super accurate and nicely mobile. To me, he is the Day 2 QB gem that Russell Wilson turned out to be---and as the clock was ticking, I am saying to myself, what could be more important that snagging the QBOF.

"With the 52nd pick in the 2104 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select: tight end Troy Niklas of Notre Dame."

Honestly, I get the need for a blocking TE, but I feel very disappointed with this pick based on what players are on the board. There is no way anyone could convince me that Niklas was even close to being the best football player on the board at that time.

When I watched him on tape---I saw a good, rugged blocker, but as a receiver he looked stiff, slow and awkward---and even fought the ball in attempting to catch it on some occasions. I remember thinking that with some added pounds he could be a good right tackle.

The TE that I was hoping for was C.J. Fiedorowicz of Iowa---imo, just as good a blocker as Niklas and much more natural an athlete---plus has good RAC ability. But, I was hoping for Fiedorowicz in round 3 or 4---not even him ahead of the likes of Ealy, Hyde, Sankey and Garoppolo.

As it turned out:

54. Sankey-Titans (nice replacement for Chris Johnson)
57. Hyde-49ers (man, that one hurt---they already have Gore)
60. Ealy-Panthers (man, they already have legit pass rushers)
62. Garoppolo-Patriots (man, they already have Tom Brady)

As for Niklas---due to a broken hand in OTAs and two high ankle sprains (the second of which landed him on the IR after Week 11), he only was able to contribute in a few games this year. One could argue that the best young TE on the roster right now is Darren Fells. Hopefully Niklas and Fells will emerge as a healthy and productive TE tandem this year.

CB---As the Cro flies, the need magnifies---not one drafted by BA&SK to date

Time to Step UP in 2015:

1-OG Cooper
2-LB Minter
2-TE Niklas
3-DE Martin
4-OG Watford
4-QB Thomas
5-RB Taylor

Very interesting read Mitch! Indeed the above need to make big strides this year!

The pick of Niklas in the 2nd Rd. bodes big this year because Fells was a big surprise contributor towards the end of the year. If he steps up even more all the better, because Niklas will have to raise up - AND STAY HEALTHY.

As it turns out Bishop Sankey or possibly Hyde would have been the preferred picks, but they figured they would sign a FA and give the load to Ellington. We now know this was not realistic, or that the Dwyer incident really bit them
harder than we realized at the time.

Bucannon, Martin and Brown all have what it takes to have good/excellent careers here. Stinson too looks to be valuable especially where they got him in the draft.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm glad BASK didn't draft Mettenburger or Garrappola or Granola and actually would prefer they didn't draft Logan but I like going for the talent and higher ceiling then the aforementioned prospects.

I agree with Finito that it's too early to label Niklas and Martin as misses. I would say that Minter, Cooper and Watford get this year to prove themselves and if not the miss label should be applied. I have to admit Minter is looking like a miss to me at this point.

BPA weighted by need appears to be the SK draft philosophy. What I love about this is that he will move around in the draft via trades to get better value when drafting for need. Was the Powell pick really a miss or simply a BPA pick at a position (the only one?) that we didn't have the injury bug hit? If Powell stays in the league then I won't call it a miss.

ILB and OLB are the screaming needs on the team. I agree NT could become a huge need. I highly doubt Cro stays and it appears SK prefers picking up FA bargains at the position then relying on the draft.

I won't be shocked if BASK picks up a quality FA OG but if they don't that is good news, means they believe in Cooper and or Watford etc.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I'm glad BASK didn't draft Mettenburger or Garrappola or Granola and actually would prefer they didn't draft Logan but I like going for the talent and higher ceiling then the aforementioned prospects.

I agree with Finito that it's too early to label Niklas and Martin as misses. I would say that Minter, Cooper and Watford get this year to prove themselves and if not the miss label should be applied. I have to admit Minter is looking like a miss to me at this point.

BPA weighted by need appears to be the SK draft philosophy. What I love about this is that he will move around in the draft via trades to get better value when drafting for need. Was the Powell pick really a miss or simply a BPA pick at a position (the only one?) that we didn't have the injury bug hit? If Powell stays in the league then I won't call it a miss.

ILB and OLB are the screaming needs on the team. I agree NT could become a huge need. I highly doubt Cro stays and it appears SK prefers picking up FA bargains at the position then relying on the draft.

I won't be shocked if BASK picks up a quality FA OG but if they don't that is good news, means they believe in Cooper and or Watford etc.

Please understand the context of hit or miss here---it's with regard to where the player was taken and whether the Cardinals have had good return from the player thus far. What it is intended to show is how much we need players like Cooper, Minter, Niklas, Martin, Watford, Thomas etc. to start proving their worth, otherwise the Cardinals are going to have to expend more draft picks in areas they thought they had previously addressed.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please understand the context of hit or miss here---it's with regard to where the player was taken and whether the Cardinals have had good return from the player thus far. What it is intended to show is how much we need players like Cooper, Minter, Niklas, Martin, Watford, Thomas etc. to start proving their worth, otherwise the Cardinals are going to have to expend more draft picks in areas they thought they had previously addressed.

OIC. Well then I agree with your "miss's". I got the sense that you were advocating drafting a player (Mettenberger for ex) instead of Thomas because Zach could have contributed this year even if Thomas has a ton more upside in the future. If so then I disagree with that philosophy in general.

SK is trying to get this team to the SB now since the Palmer window is closing quickly but I don't think he is mortgaging the future to make it happen.

Minter and Cooper are the biggest miss's because they needed to contribute by now and haven't. Niklas wasn't a miss because we had other TE's who could at least play reasonably well. He has time to develop.

Reaction score
OIC. Well then I agree with your "miss's". I got the sense that you were advocating drafting a player (Mettenberger for ex) instead of Thomas because Zach could have contributed this year even if Thomas has a ton more upside in the future. If so then I disagree with that philosophy in general.

SK is trying to get this team to the SB now since the Palmer window is closing quickly but I don't think he is mortgaging the future to make it happen.

Minter and Cooper are the biggest miss's because they needed to contribute by now and haven't. Niklas wasn't a miss because we had other TE's who could at least play reasonably well. He has time to develop.

I agree with this Cardiac. Who knows, maybe Minter & Cooper will turn it around this year.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with this Cardiac. Who knows, maybe Minter & Cooper will turn it around this year.

I still have a bunch of hope for Cooper but Minter has me more than a little concerned.

I expect at least 2 ILBers' picked up in FA and then 1 to 2 drafted as well.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The Niklas pick disgusted me at the time and will forever disgust me...screw that guy!

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Niklas pick disgusted me at the time and will forever disgust me...screw that guy!

?????

He got injured a bit his first season, but what the hell?

This team in 2013 had no production at all from its tight ends and was easy to gameplan against. Nicklas was a star at Notre Dame and probably should have stayed until this year - and if he did so he'd far and away be the #1 tight end in the draft and we'd be clamoring for him and bitching that he can't possibly fall to #24.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
^ Nope...you want a blocking TE, you draft him in rounds 4-7...not 2nd...the guy blows and Cards blew a 2nd round pick on Anthony Bect part Deux.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
^ Nope...you want a blocking TE, you draft him in rounds 4-7...not 2nd...the guy blows and Cards blew a 2nd round pick on Anthony Bect part Deux.

I say he is Heath Miller part Deux and well worth a 2nd rd pick, especially when you consider that Heath was taken in the 1st rd. :)

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
So far we've come out way ahead on that 1st round trade down.

Bucannon has been solid and the extra pick got us John Brown.

Dee Ford had a very disappointing rookie season (7 tackles, 1.5 sacks in 16 games). He would have had far more playing time here assuming he was the pick at 20, but I'd rather have Bucannon+Brown so far.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

I think that was a pretty common theme on this board. I pretty much had Fedorowitz pencilled in as our third round pick. However, he was chosen by Houston on the first pick of the third round, so we wouldn't have got him with a low 3rd.

In todays game, the TE is becoming more and more important. And there are some pretty great TEs playing right now. Due to that, teams elevate this position, like they do with LTs, edge rushers, and of course QBs - though obviously not to the extend that QBs are elevated.

I was not a fan of the Niklas pick either, because I subscribe to "best available" with only minor exceptions. But if we wanted a good one that was not purely a blocker, this is where we had to take one.

If you look at the last two drafts, we have selected for need in the early rounds, regardless of what Kiem tells us. And in the later rounds, we have selected best availabl...Stinson, Ellington. Even with the first round trade down, Kiem as qouted as saying we were "targeting" John Brown in the third round. Really? Targeting a guy with the 90th pick?

I ask you, which has worked out better? I love Kiem, but this is my one beef with these early round picks. Need based. I don't like it.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
So far we've come out way ahead on that 1st round trade down.

Bucannon has been solid and the extra pick got us John Brown.

Dee Ford had a very disappointing rookie season (7 tackles, 1.5 sacks in 16 games). He would have had far more playing time here assuming he was the pick at 20, but I'd rather have Bucannon+Brown so far.

I agree, Dew.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think that was a pretty common theme on this board. I pretty much had Fedorowitz pencilled in as our third round pick. However, he was chosen by Houston on the first pick of the third round, so we wouldn't have got him with a low 3rd.

In todays game, the TE is becoming more and more important. And there are some pretty great TEs playing right now. Due to that, teams elevate this position, like they do with LTs, edge rushers, and of course QBs - though obviously not to the extend that QBs are elevated.

I was not a fan of the Niklas pick either, because I subscribe to "best available" with only minor exceptions. But if we wanted a good one that was not purely a blocker, this is where we had to take one.

If you look at the last two drafts, we have selected for need in the early rounds, regardless of what Kiem tells us. And in the later rounds, we have selected best availabl...Stinson, Ellington. Even with the first round trade down, Kiem as qouted as saying we were "targeting" John Brown in the third round. Really? Targeting a guy with the 90th pick?

I ask you, which has worked out better? I love Kiem, but this is my one beef with these early round picks. Need based. I don't like it.

That is an excellent observation about the Cardinals going need early and then BPA later on.

It's the way of the world these days in the Cap Era---you need to use your first three picks in the draft to draft instant starters or important role players. What a team is unable to pick up in FA becomes a draft priority.