Gotham (FOX)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just watched pilot. Good stuff! And I don't mean that in a "every single piece of lore is spot on" cuz I don't really know the lore outside of the movies, but this show is gonna be good I really like young Jim Gordon.

Fun stuff! Better than most other stuff I've seen on TV

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Watched E1 on Sat and E2 last night.

I like it so far. More of a crime drama with a young Gordon and the story appears to be setting up for the chaos that follows the death of the Waynes.
Definitely more about Gotham as a city and Gordon's attempts to be a good cop in a corrupt professional and political environment.

Seems to be writing it's own cannon in a lot of areas but that doesn't really bother me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better than I was expecting for sure. However, in the first two episodes they seem to be toeing the line a bit in terms of exploring the back story and creating their own cannon with the show. It worked in Smallville so it can work here. However, if they trample on the canon? Batman fans are going to revolt. LOL.

It's interesting though in that in the second episode they have already established a supervillain predating Batman. Maybe he was just a more small time villain during this timeline (not established) but it didn't seem that way.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Cannon is a weapon. Canon is the word you want folks.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Cannon is a weapon. Canon is the word you want folks.

Steve

LOL. I didn't notice that until now. By the way, you not should capitalize "Cannon" in your sentence above. :D

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL. I didn't notice that until now. By the way, you should capitalize "Cannon" in your sentence above. :D

Did you mean not? I edited it right after posting. Initially I started the sentence with "Cannon" and then on a re-read decided to add the indefinite article but you're right, it is just a lowly common noun.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you mean not? I edited it right after posting. Initially, I started the sentence with "Cannon" and then on a re-read decided to add the indefinite article but you're right, it is just a lowly common noun.

Steve

Did you mean "Initially,"? ;)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The pilot was really good in parts, and extremely clunky and eye-rolling awful in others. Really, do we need to try to stuff in every single character, or a reference to every single character, all in the pilot? Poor exposition, poor writing. But the rest of the pilot was nice.

The second episode was much better, without the info-dump snafus, and a good sign of what's to come, I hope. I'm likely in for the season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) his daughter, not his lover?

Their daughter is Batgirl. However, depending on what continuity in the comics you read, the names get tossed around a bit. In one version both mother and daughter have the same name.

They nailed Selena Kyle.

Agreed. I really liked her character but the "street rat" thing is eventually going to get old. The Penguin is a genuine psycho. LOL. Some interesting characters. Willing to give this a shot.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I thought James Gordon was usually portrayed as a failure as a husband because he gave too much to his job. Barbara (his daughter) grew up to become Batgirl, and after she was paralyzed by the Joker, the Oracle. And then for some reason she could walk again as the new Commissioner Gordon in Batman Beyond.

So I guess a little name switcheroo isn't all that much to get up in arms about.

:D

machgman

Veteran
Reaction score
This show has it all and no regard for any real continuity. They have 1970s cars, 1990 flip-phones, police equipment from 1970s to the 2000s, and - as a total sell-out to be PC, women in every job class in the Gotham PD including extremely young bosses in every detective bureau management and supervisory position.

This is not the Batman's Gotham, heck, it isn't even anyone's reboot of the Gotham of Batman lore. It's a hodgepodge by wannabe storytellers who might as well introduce LittleBoPeep and Marvel Comics characters.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is it just me or was it implied pretty clearly that that dirty cop was about to shove O'Brien where the sun don't shine in that interrogation room? Lol

Me and my girlfriend watched that and when you heard the scream we both just looked at each other and started laughing!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's enjoyable so far. Much more than I thought it would be. Although, I would like to see Bruce Wayne take a more active approach and cleaning up the force at some point. Possibly, using his "wealth" to help Gordon. Right now, the Gotham force appears to dirty that there is no way Gordon can take it on all by himself.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I wonder if those steeped in batman lore will dislike this more than others.

I think it is a pretty good show. It doesn't have much to do with Batman at all. It is the story of the city and it's own story reboot so I wonder if Batman fans would be less inclined to like it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it is a pretty good show. It doesn't have much to do with Batman at all. It is the story of the city and it's own story reboot so I wonder if Batman fans would be less inclined to like it.

This. My only issue with the show right now is that it's not very believable that Gordon can take on all the corruption himself which he seem to be doing.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's my major issue. To me it's a show that was made by someone where the only way they could pitch it to anyone is to make their characters from the Batman universe. It's sort of like when Konami was making a game and didn't know what to do with it until they threw in some Silent Hill references and called it Silent Hill 4 even though the story had nothing to do with Silent Hill lore(unlike all other SH games, this one didn't take place in SH, only that the protagonist had been to SH).

That said, I watched 1 episode and decided it's not for me. Didn't care for it. Once I saw that Arkham Asylum was smack dab in the middle of Gotham and not on it's own island I turned it off.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am still enjoying it, but I am in the group that has never read a batman comic so I cannot be offended by breaches in lore.

But even though I haven't read them I can see how that would be annoying for you guys because it's pretty clear they are making a TV show. Most of it has been pretty standard, (who will be the villain this week? This guy and he's defeated, tune in next week!) Kinda stuff. It's hard to dip your toe into this universe and not have batman so idk how long it can hold my attention but again, I'm liking it so far.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And now we have Victor Zsasz using a gun. Did the producers even bother to look up the characters?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why should I care if they have ham?

:rimshot:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
This series surpassed all my expectations.

I can't wait for the next season with all the characters they have already introduced or at least hinted.

The Penguin has been brilliant.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yeah I just realized this 30minutes after I posted that. The previous episode that I watched seemed like a clear season ending cliffhanger.

The Barbara Kean storylines are the only ones that really annoy me..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson