The Official 2014 World Cup Thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I felt bad for Bradley. He had a couple of mistakes but the guy was giving it 110%. Covered a lot of ground. Still one of our better players.

Bradley had a better game, but by no means a great one. He was definitely one of our weak links in this tournament, which is extremely disappointing. We know he is good enough to make a difference in a game and he simply did not show up to play.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bradley made 4+ world class passes (mostly through to Yedlin) in last night's game. Gorgeous balls.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I thought overall klinsmann did a good job. Belgium is as talented as any team in the final 8. They may not have a messi, mueller, or a Neymar jr, but they are very talented. they can bring healthy premier league strikers off their bench to score goals you know that they are a special team overall. We were up against it and some how dramatically we almost came through in the most clutch moments. Did we deserve to win? No therefore I can't bash anyone. I was surprised beckerman didn't play too, but he did play vs Germany and we had the same type of game when matched against superior midfielders. I don't think that would have made a whole lot of difference but it might have. I think klinsmann had to try something. I think the Fabian Johnson injury put his substitution plans in a bind. He eluded to wanting to bring on green earlier but had to wait because of Johnson. He also said today that he wanted his team to be more aggressive than they were and that they still showed too much respect for some of their opponents. So I have to wonder if the game plan was one way and the result was another. Overall we have to be better technically. Ruud And ballack made good points after the game. Our midfielders just don't have the technical ability to match the top teams and our defender sag too much into Howard allowing players to run at them. They also struggle to bring the ball up into people and connect with midfielders and forwards. When you watch the top teams they do this consistently and they attack rather than fade back.

Last edited:

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Was gutted for you lot yesterday. All heart, puts England to shame to be quite honest.

Hope it gives football a real shot in the arm and it can only benefit you guys that already love it.

Who will you hoping wins now then? Since we are both out, I am going underdog all the way with Costa Rica. Anyone but the Germans really....

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Tim Howard is one of the worlds best. Hell he once played for Man U albeit it had a poor ending there but he's been great at Everton. He's already been mentioned in high regard before this World Cup and before the last one too. Is he in the very best argument? Maybe not but he would be the absolute best goal keeper for most countries and you can't really say that for the other American players at their respective position. If he were Brazilian people would be all over him outside the usa.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Bradley made 4+ world class passes (mostly through to Yedlin) in last night's game. Gorgeous balls.

Well the ball to green was top notch. My problem is that after jozy went down we really didn't have anyone for Bradley to make those passes to. Green made a great run and most of the other ones were to yedlin on the flank another guy with speed. Speed was what we lacked at times especially once jozy went down and I don't know that jozy is a blazer either but he does make those runs. Maybe we should have put green on earlier? I still thought they looked a lot more dangerous when dempsey got dropped later in the game. They had more possession then. I think Bradley did ok in this WC. Not great and his turnovers were highlighted more than the other players. He didn't play like he did against mexico or Nigeria friendlies but the midfield of Belgium, Germany, Portugal, and Ghana were very good. I think Bradley is one of our best players but he's not a world beater and to expect that of him at all times is a bit much.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Was gutted for you lot yesterday. All heart, puts England to shame to be quite honest.

Hope it gives football a real shot in the arm and it can only benefit you guys that already love it.

Who will you hoping wins now then? Since we are both out, I am going underdog all the way with Costa Rica. Anyone but the Germans really....

I always like to see the home team do well. I kind of want to see Belgium continue on and of corse Costa Rica too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hoping Belgium wins it. If the team you had a legit chance of beating in the 90th minute is the team that wins it all, it says a lot about your team.

On the other side of the bracket, Colombia has made a fan of me.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm 40 years old and never watched a soccer match on TV before this year. So far I've seen well over a dozen in the last couple of weeks. So add me to the list of new rabid World Cup fans.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Tim Howard is one of the worlds best. Hell he once played for Man U albeit it had a poor ending there but he's been great at Everton. He's already been mentioned in high regard before this World Cup and before the last one too. Is he in the very best argument? Maybe not but he would be the absolute best goal keeper for most countries and you can't really say that for the other American players at their respective position. If he were Brazilian people would be all over him outside the usa.

In this World Cup, only Ochoa comes close.

Maybe if he was German, slinslin would appreciate him. As it stands, if he's American, he sucks.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Howard has good reflexes on the line but that is all, it needs a lot more to be world class and no Ochoa is not world class either.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 40 years old and never watched a soccer match on TV before this year. So far I've seen well over a dozen in the last couple of weeks. So add me to the list of new rabid World Cup fans.

Welcome aboard. I became rabid after the 2010 WC although I had watched a few before that. The thing that I like most about soccer is that truly is a year round sport. Most domestic leagues last ~9 months (Europe) and the international games are for another month or so. There are no big lulls or offseasons to worry about.

Now pick an English Premier League team and watch that too. Champions League each year is quite awesome.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howard has good reflexes on the line but that is all, it needs a lot more to be world class and no Ochoa is not world class either.

He has good clearance, reflexes on the line, rarely out of position, good with both feet, defends the goal well with his hands and feet etc. He is easily in the top 5-10 GK in the world. To say that he is not is delusional.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the ball to green was top notch. My problem is that after jozy went down we really didn't have anyone for Bradley to make those passes to. Green made a great run and most of the other ones were to yedlin on the flank another guy with speed. Speed was what we lacked at times especially once jozy went down and I don't know that jozy is a blazer either but he does make those runs. Maybe we should have put green on earlier? I still thought they looked a lot more dangerous when dempsey got dropped later in the game. They had more possession then. I think Bradley did ok in this WC. Not great and his turnovers were highlighted more than the other players. He didn't play like he did against mexico or Nigeria friendlies but the midfield of Belgium, Germany, Portugal, and Ghana were very good. I think Bradley is one of our best players but he's not a world beater and to expect that of him at all times is a bit much.

Absolutely. The problem is also Zusi and Bedoya. They don't make those diagonal runs into the box that Green made there.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He has good clearance, reflexes on the line, rarely out of position, good with both feet, defends the goal well with his hands and feet etc. He is easily in the top 5-10 GK in the world. To say that he is not is delusional.

Neuer
Courtois
De Gea
Cech

easily better..

I'll take Buffon, Sirigu, Lloris, Handanovic.

The only world class keepers are Neuer and maybe Courtois, so no Howard will never be mentioned as world class.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
De Gea and Cech? Your nuts.

Neuer, Courtois. That's it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please define world class. I think you can put him top 10 maybe.

I think you can also say that Howard in no way has a world class defense in front of him.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
World class is an opinion. Many would say and already have said long before this game that Howard is an elite goal keeper. Whether he is top 5 or top 10 or lower is subjective.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose