2014 Suns Free Agency

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're kidding, right?

So if McD could sign James on the condition that Melo comes in a package deal, a 25ppg guy in his own right, he shouldn't?

I agree that by himself, Melo isn't an attractive prospect, but bring him and LeBron and it's a no-brainer.

The guy is the opposite of our team play. He's a known ball stopper and offensive flow killer. Sure he gets points and boards but he's not conducive to team play. How many touches does he need to get 'his'? I'm sure I don't want him here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe in playing by the rules. The Suns plan to pay Lebron, Wade or Melo their fair market value without trying to manipulate the system. So I say yes, the Suns are doing it the right way.

you're a total hypcorite. There's nothing in the rules that says guys can take a little less money so they can play on a better team. Literally NOTHING. in fact, guys who take a little less money to win a title are universally LAUDED to do so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus, get over yourself. We get it. I don't see a GM offering max contracts to two top players as the same thing. They are not trying to stack the deck in the same way. You see it that way, I disagree. I don't have issue with Houston making trades and recruiting. I don't have issue with S.A. players taking less as they are past their prime and were all drafted by the team. The Suns have been built by making trades and drafting. If they are able to recruit a top player or two to add to that, great. You can say it's the same, I think many of us will disagree. It's not a bunch of top players taking far less than their value in order to stack the deck against league. But go on and criticize others because they don't like that method and don't want the league to turn into 1 team of all the top players taking much lower salaries in order to stack the deck and kill any chance of competition.

sorry, but there's no difference between LeBron/Melo or LeBron/Bosh deciding to stack the deck with a much better Phoenix team now, then there is Lebron/Bosh trying to stack the deck with Wade on a much worse Miami team then. Twist yourself in knots trying to justify your hypocrisy, but that's all your doing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're a total hypcorite. There's nothing in the rules that says guys can take a little less money so they can play on a better team. Literally NOTHING. in fact, guys who take a little less money to win a title are universally LAUDED to do so.

I think you have crossed the line. I don't appreciate name calling.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe in playing by the rules. The Suns plan to pay Lebron, Wade or Melo their fair market value without trying to manipulate the system. So I say yes, the Suns are doing it the right way.

okay...then answer me this question that you didn't answer in the other thread. Were you up in arms when the Suns paid AC Green and Danny Manning WAYYYYY below their market value (with secret promises to give them a bigger contract the next season) back in the day when we were one of the Haves in the league to specfifically manipulate the system? Did you call for the rules to be changed back then?

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jody Genessy: The Phoenix Suns are expected to make Gordon Hayward a significant offer, possibly a max deal, but Utah Jazz will match, per sources. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you have crossed the line. I don't appreciate name calling.

okay. I apologize, but i do think what you said in the other thread completely goes against what you're saying here.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jody Genessy: The Phoenix Suns are expected to make Gordon Hayward a significant offer, possibly a max deal, but Utah Jazz will match, per sources. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

I will vomit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting. I wonder how this fits with the Suns going after Lebron and another player of his choice?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sorry, but there's no difference between LeBron/Melo or LeBron/Bosh deciding to stack the deck with a much better Phoenix team now, then there is Lebron/Bosh trying to stack the deck with Wade on a much worse Miami team then. Twist yourself in knots trying to justify your hypocrisy, but that's all your doing.

Well, several of us disagree. I'm not trying to justify anything, to myself, others, or you. I see a difference. According to you signing any 2 top free agents to a team at their market value is the same as what many suspect is going on in Miami. Great! You win, feel better now?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, several of us disagree.

Of course...because it looks like the Suns may prosper because of it, which was my point in the other thread. That when the shoe is on our foot, it's all good (like it was when we manipulated the cap back with Green and Manning...although you were one of the people who said you didn't like that move, NO ONE else blinked at it).

I'm not trying to justify anything, to myself, others, or you. I see a difference. According to you signing any 2 top free agents to a team at their market value is the same as what many suspect is going on in Miami. Great! You win, feel better now?

this isn't a matter of winning. this is me trying to understand how people can be so righteous about one thing when another team does it, but when our team has done in the past (that was DEFINITELY below board) and is trying to do something similar now to what Miami did four years ago, there's seemingly no problem. Let me ask you this, if melo and LeBron decided to take a little less to come to the Suns so we didn't have to ship off all of our depth, would you have a problem with that? Or would you say those are two good team guys who want to win?

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just as an aside. Looking at the Suns cap numbers, if they want to sign two max free agents they have to move some salary. The most they can generate without renouncing Bledsoe is about $33 million.

The simple solution would be to trade Dragic. Can't be Bledsoe, his cap hit isnt enough. It has to be Goran.

Just FYI

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing about LeBron and free agency. The thing that no one is talking about is coaching. I don't Spoelstra is that good of a coach, and I don't think LeBron holds him that high either. He just got beat by a team with superior coaching.

Of the teams that would be possibilities, Horny might be the best.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Jody Genessy: The Phoenix Suns are expected to make Gordon Hayward a significant offer, possibly a max deal

VOMIT

I sure am glad the Suns don't have an irrational preference for soft white players.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as an aside. Looking at the Suns cap numbers, if they want to sign two max free agents they have to move some salary. The most they can generate without renouncing Bledsoe is about $33 million.

The simple solution would be to trade Dragic. Can't be Bledsoe, his cap hit isnt enough. It has to be Goran.

Just FYI

that's the simplest solution, but being armed with a lot of draft picks means if teams didn't want Green or the mediocre morri, you could unload them with a first rounder. Or ship off Markieff and his brother and get a first rounder likely in exchange.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course...because it looks like the Suns may prosper because of it, which was my point in the other thread. That when the shoe is on our foot, it's all good (like it was when we manipulated the cap back with Green and Manning...although you were one of the people who said you didn't like that move, NO ONE else blinked at it).

It's true, I didn't like it even though it benefited the Suns. I didn't like the idea of it becoming the norm around the league. I was glad when the rules were added.

this isn't a matter of winning. this is me trying to understand how people can be so righteous about one thing when another team does it, but when our team has done in the past (that was DEFINITELY below board) and is trying to do something similar now to what Miami did four years ago, there's seemingly no problem. Let me ask you this, if melo and LeBron decided to take a little less to come to the Suns so we didn't have to ship off all of our depth, would you have a problem with that? Or would you say those are two good team guys who want to win?

I don't want Melo. I don't really want Bosh. In a perfect world I'd like to sign Lebron this summer and either some depth or save the money for next summer and see if either a trade or the right free agent can be brought in. Not sure who that is yet since I don't really know who's available in 2015.

The point you are missing is this move isn't being lead by players conspiring to diminish the competition in order to get rings. It's the Suns trying to add to what they are building. They worked to get the cap space and made trades to build the team so far. My whole issue with Miami is I don't want this merc for hire, stack the deck to avoid any real competition league. They can do whatever they want in Miami, I just don't like the idea of the best talent all conspiring together in order to build a sure thing. Of course so far we've seen that it hasn't been a sure thing, but I can see it going that direction. It's no longer wanting to play the best and earning a championship, it's let's have the 12 best players all take small salaries in order to avoid any real competition. You think it's the same thing, I don't. I'm not saying that it's gotten to that level, I'm just seeing how it can get there very easily based on what they are doing right now (or what it looks like they are doing). The Suns want to offer max deals to 2 free agents. They aren't saying, "hey how about you guys take $5m each and we'll sign 10 other top players as they become available for $5m each and you will win rings every year because no other team will be able to compete with that. I don't get how you don't see the difference?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that's the simplest solution, but being armed with a lot of draft picks means if teams didn't want Green or the mediocre morri, you could unload them with a first rounder. Or ship off Markieff and his brother and get a first rounder likely in exchange.

Green would be easy to ship off. His deal is small and its only a year. He would also be extraneous with LeBron and Melo. All it would take is two of the lesser players. Both Morri, or Green and any of the two. We could then keep Goran.

I cannot see why LeBron would not at least take a look. Oh well. We will know soon. Hopefully its not Hayward we go after.

This is fun.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
VOMIT

I sure am glad the Suns don't have an irrational preference for soft white players.

Right?

Change owners, GMs etc and the Suns still have this need. Is it written into the NBA bylaws that the Suns have to have the whitest team in the league?

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
No to Hayward please. If rather run out the same squad again and pocket the savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Just FYI

Trading Marcus (and maybe Kieff), Green and Len should be enough. We can't trade Dragic that's part of the appeal for 'Bron to come here...to play with an All NBA player.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score

This doesn't mean anything. I could have made this tweet ... Read the language - "are expected to make XXX Player a significant offer" - That's an opinion. Most likely his sources, another GM not on the Suns, told him he expects the Suns to make Hayward an offer (w/ no inside knowledge) ... Then the reporter / writer injected "possibly a max deal" - All this "expected" , "possibly" , "significant" ambiguous words mean nothing ...

Everything before 7/1 is all speculation - Nobody knows what the teams or players are thinking ....

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Honestly, I believe this, PHX has long had an interest in Hayward. Plan A is Lebron & Anthony but reality will be lower tier FA's like Hayward, Hill, Hawes, Deng, Monroe, etc.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
okay...then answer me this question that you didn't answer in the other thread. Were you up in arms when the Suns paid AC Green and Danny Manning WAYYYYY below their market value (with secret promises to give them a bigger contract the next season) back in the day when we were one of the Haves in the league to specfifically manipulate the system? Did you call for the rules to be changed back then?
I answered that in the other thread.

A GM trying to get star players to join his team is NOT THE SAME as LeBron spearheading a move to get a player from another team joining him on a 3rd team.

It is a slap in the face to the fans, the other teams and the league.

Again, there is a difference between a GM doing his job and a ballplayer acting as powerbroker for a 3rd team.

How many times are you going to disregard that answer?

P.S.: If LeBron decided this year to get Carmelo to join him as they join his buddy Bledsoe in Phoenix (as much as I would like to see a Championship for my team and my city), I'd say tell all three of them to go F themselves.

Does that answer your question?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This doesn't mean anything. I could have made this tweet ... Read the language - "are expected to make XXX Player a significant offer" - That's an opinion. Most likely his sources, another GM not on the Suns, told him he expects the Suns to make Hayward an offer (w/ no inside knowledge) ... Then the reporter / writer injected "possibly a max deal" - All this "expected" , "possibly" , "significant" ambiguous words mean nothing ...

Everything before 7/1 is all speculation - Nobody knows what the teams or players are thinking ....

Well, sure, except for me. And I'm not telling you guys nothing.

You're right though, we start calling these things reports but twenty years ago they wouldn't even have qualified as rumors. Yet in today's world, one journalist after the other will start passing these tidbits on as if they actually had merit. Throw enough rumors against the wall and one of them will stick but most of these are just flights of fancy.

Steve

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave