2014 Suns Free Agency

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
It's awesome that we're at least able to be aggressively pursuing the big names. I understand the odds are not in our favor at all, but it's great to be able to separate ourselves by being able to offer something no one else can without making some moves.

I'd take Anthony if it meant LBJ, but agreed with the rest of the board in preferring Bosh if possible.

Pipe dream, I know, but it's exciting nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Coro just posted an article, here salaries + cap holds:

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/suns.jsp

Suns would have to give up marcus morris, len and green. OR if james anthony willing to split 39 million in order to have a proven vet like green, give up marcus/len and warren/ennis.

Based on the way the opt outs in miami are going, i would not be surprised if suns dont even get a meeting. But it is nice to dream of for a couple days:

dragic goodwin
bledsoe green
anthony tucker
james markief
plumlee

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
To put it in simpler terms on why Carmelo to PHX would be pointless w/ Lebron is that w/ Lebron added to last years team, the Suns would have the best offense in basketball anyway (By far probably) ... Thus, adding Carmelo would have minimal effect on that end - it would probably just make our team worse since he'll hurt defensively and just get in the way offensively ....

"On paper" it sounds good to bring both Melo and Lebron to PHX, but in reality adding Lebron to a 48 win team, with so much depth / chemistry / improving young guys already would be much better for the Suns on the court ...

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score

Suns would have to give up marcus morris, len and green. OR if james anthony willing to split 39 million in order to have a proven vet like green, give up marcus/len and warren/ennis.

Based on the way the opt outs in miami are going, i would not be surprised if suns dont even get a meeting. But it is nice to dream of for a couple days:

dragic goodwin
bledsoe green
anthony tucker
james markief
plumlee

Even though I am against signing Carmelo ... Don't overlook the fact that because Morris, Len, and Green have value - We could easily get at least 2 1st rounders for them ... So in addition to the roster you posted, we could potentially have 5 1st rounders in the 2015 Draft :shock:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

dragic goodwin
bledsoe green
anthony tucker
james markief
plumlee

We are very very unlikely to trade Len, Warren, Ennis and Marcus.

If we need to clear 6-8M$ more if will more likely invole 2of Markieff, Marcus, Green or just Dragic.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Well at least they are shooting for the moon. Since the chances of even getting a meeting are slim to none since it appears they have a plan in Miami, I'm happy just knowing McD and staff are doing what they can to build a contender. We may not get a top guy this year, likely won't, but I have no doubt he'll keep trying until he does.

This. You can't win if you don't play. Ask the Houston Rockets.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To put it in simpler terms on why Carmelo to PHX would be pointless w/ Lebron is that w/ Lebron added to last years team, the Suns would have the best offense in basketball anyway (By far probably) ... Thus, adding Carmelo would have minimal effect on that end - it would probably just make our team worse since he'll hurt defensively and just get in the way offensively ....

"On paper" it sounds good to bring both Melo and Lebron to PHX, but in reality adding Lebron to a 48 win team, with so much depth / chemistry / improving young guys already would be much better for the Suns on the court ...

I agree it would not make sense basetball wise to bring in anthony, more sense to get bosh or even gasol, but it would be done because that is what lebron wants.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I just hope they have decent plan b. If james is staying in miami, and anthony goes to chicago, reduces places for love to go (chicago/cleveland).

I would be ok adding a swing (like deng), and saving room for love at deadline or next summer.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I will say if lebron considers houston, a joke if he doesn't consider phx. I've been to houston, it's a dump, it can't touch phoenix.

Really the only actual cities you could take over phx are miami, la, san fran, ny, chicago (for market size).

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'd really like us to go after established forwards like Trevor Ariza and Luol Deng at the right price. Warren could really learn quite a bit from either of those guys.

Chandler Parsons would be really nice here as well but I can't see Houston letting him walk unless they get 'Melo or LeBron.

At PF, Jordan Hill and Ed Davis are both intriguing to me. Jordan Hill more so because I think he will be cheaper and has a bit more range and better defense.

I'm not at all interested in signing another guard since we have so many already. However, if we do trade Gerald Green or something, Jodie Meeks is a guy to keep an eye on as a SG/SF hybrid. Perfect fit for Hornacek.

No Cs please unless its a clear upgrade and we have a deal in place to send Plumlee or Len off somewhere else. Last thing we need is a log jam at C also.

I missed Jordan Hill when I was looking for PF's we might get - I thought he was a center and the database I was using lists him as one this year, though not prior years. On the LA roster he's also listed as a PF so he should have been included. Were it not for his injury history I'd rank him above Ed Davis.

I think he'll command a somewhat larger salary - he makes 1 million more now and he's somewhat better known. His rebounding rate was 3 boards higher per 36 this past year and is 1.4 higher careerwise. According to the stats on the tracking site - defensive impact, Davis beats him on FG% against at the rim 42% to 50% but Hill is considerably more active. They block at the same rate, 1.6/36, so I'd call it a wash on D.

One further thing in Hill's favor is that he is a UFA while I've found two sites that list Davis as an RFA. If we get either one of them I'll be happy - heck, I'd settle for Thomas Robinson.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will say if lebron considers houston, a joke if he doesn't consider phx. I've been to houston, it's a dump, it can't touch phoenix.

Really the only actual cities you could take over phx are miami, la, san fran, ny, chicago (for market size).

No offense, but I've lived in Phx and I would never go back there after living in the NW. Portland is a great place to live.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No offense, but I've lived in Phx and I would never go back there after living in the NW. Portland is a great place to live.

As if anyone can judge this or how it would affect any FA.

These athletes don't just have 1 home anyway. The weather during the NBA season in Phoenix is probably the best in the NBA and in the hot summer they can live wherever they want anyway.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As if anyone can judge this or how it would affect any FA.

These athletes don't just have 1 home anyway. The weather during the NBA season in Phoenix is probably the best in the NBA and in the hot summer they can live wherever they want anyway.

Very true.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree it would not make sense basetball wise to bring in anthony, more sense to get bosh or even gasol, but it would be done because that is what lebron wants.

If that's what Lebron wants then sure I guess we'd have to go after both ...

But Lebron has a HIGH Basketball IQ - I'm pretty sure that after thinking it through, he'll come to the same conclusion that the team is better w/o Melo ... + as stated previously, even if he is in it for "fame" / "popularity" / 'Legacy" stuff the media talks about, he wouldn't want Melo here anyway (would have to share spotlight ... may not even be #1 option late in games) ... I mean, can you imagine how villified Lebron will be if he teams up w/ Melo?

Honestly, I think it's a no-brainer that he would rather sign w/ PHX out-right than bring Melo w/ him (To Lebron, I don't see any advantage on the court or off to bringing Melo to PHX, and destroying the team's depth / chemistry in the process) ....

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Absolutely. This might have been a long shot before the "Power Lunch" but no way Bosh and Wade walk away from all that money without a plan and a promise from Lebron.

If this is really the Suns big plan its almost identical to the Dbags big plan of signing Tanaka.

Or the Cardinals plan of signing Manning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big attraction for Phoenix is that they can add two stars without gutting the franchise. Just to throw out another link, this is a quote from another article by Paul Coro at azcentral dated 6-29-14. I'm aware some of this information is redundant.

Part of the Suns' hope is hinged to the talent that could still surround a megastar pairing. The Suns can bring in James without losing All-NBA third-team guard Goran Dragic, Bledsoe, center Miles Plumlee, power forward Markieff Morris and small forward P.J. Tucker or even sacrificing guard Archie Goodwin. Some guaranteed salaries, possibly for players like Alex Len (rookie contract) or Gerald Green and Marcus Morris (expiring contracts), might need to be moved to create the cap space but the Suns could sign James and another star like Anthony or Bosh and then exceed the cap to secure their own restricted free agents, Bledsoe and Tucker. The Suns have the right to match any offer sheet that Bledsoe or Tucker might sign with another team next month.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ebron-james-carmelo-anthony-pursuit/11706943/

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big attraction for Phoenix is that they can add two stars without gutting the franchise. Just to throw out another link, this is a quote from another article by Paul Coro at azcentral dated 6-29-14. I'm aware some of this information is redundant.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ebron-james-carmelo-anthony-pursuit/11706943/

let me be understand something from all you LeBron colluders from the other thread. LeBron and Bosh deciding to go play with Wade, on a Miami team that was a 45 game winner the year before was complete and utter BS, and rules need to be changed, yada, yada, yada...but if LeBron/Bosh or LeBron/Melo decide to come to the Suns, who are MUCH MORE TALENTED then that Miami team was, with a 3rd Team All-NBA player, a young stud in Bledsoe and a 6th Man of the year candidate in Morris, that's kool and the gang? Hypocrisy rears it's ugly head once again.

bottom line...when someone else benefits from FA wanting to go somewhere, it's the worst thing in the world. When it looks like there's a shot that WE can benefit from the exact same thing, our mouths collectively water.

Have a little perspective guys.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we get Melo and Lebron, wouldn't we have to give up the Morris Twins, Frye, etc. - maybe young guys too ?

Personally, I think signing Melo has the potential to be a disaster (Similar to on the Olympics team - There's a reason guys like Prince and role guys are picked over stars) . He is not needed at all if we sign Lebron - There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" and Melo would just not be needed here ... He would destroy our depth potentially and he would only be a spot-up shooter and/or take driving opportunities away from Bledose/Dragic/Lebron

The only reason LeBron would even consider signing here would be because he'd get the opportunity to play with Melo without anyone having to take a paycut.

Both LeBron and 'Melo reportedly have a desire to play together.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No to melo in all scenarios.

You're kidding, right?

So if McD could sign James on the condition that Melo comes in a package deal, a 25ppg guy in his own right, he shouldn't?

I agree that by himself, Melo isn't an attractive prospect, but bring him and LeBron and it's a no-brainer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let me be understand something from all you LeBron colluders from the other thread. LeBron and Bosh deciding to go play with Wade, on a Miami team that was a 45 game winner the year before was complete and utter BS, and rules need to be changed, yada, yada, yada...but if LeBron/Bosh or LeBron/Melo decide to come to the Suns, who are MUCH MORE TALENTED then that Miami team was, with a 3rd Team All-NBA player, a young stud in Bledsoe and a 6th Man of the year candidate in Morris, that's kool and the gang? Hypocrisy rears it's ugly head once again.

bottom line...when someone else benefits from FA wanting to go somewhere, it's the worst thing in the world. When it looks like there's a shot that WE can benefit from the exact same thing, our mouths collectively water.

Have a little perspective guys.

Let's see how all this plays out without the Suns using sleight of hand. I'm not holding by breath. I still think the Suns are playing against a stacked deck in Miami.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see how all this plays out without the Suns using sleight of hand. I'm not holding by breath. I still think the Suns are playing against a stacked deck in Miami.

nice way to completely duck the question. so, I'll simply ask again. If this LeBron and Melo or LeBron and Bosh decided to come to Phoenix together, would you be for it or against it?

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but, you'd still be for it, if it happened, right?

I believe in playing by the rules. The Suns plan to pay Lebron, Wade or Melo their fair market value without trying to manipulate the system. So I say yes, the Suns are doing it the right way.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nice way to completely duck the question. so, I'll simply ask again. If this LeBron and Melo or LeBron and Bosh decided to come to Phoenix together, would you be for it or against it?

Jesus, get over yourself. We get it. I don't see a GM offering max contracts to two top players as the same thing. They are not trying to stack the deck in the same way. You see it that way, I disagree. I don't have issue with Houston making trades and recruiting. I don't have issue with S.A. players taking less as they are past their prime and were all drafted by the team. The Suns have been built by making trades and drafting. If they are able to recruit a top player or two to add to that, great. You can say it's the same, I think many of us will disagree. It's not a bunch of top players taking far less than their value in order to stack the deck against league. But go on and criticize others because they don't like that method and don't want the league to turn into 1 team of all the top players taking much lower salaries in order to stack the deck and kill any chance of competition.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please forgive me if this has been posted already

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233992/Suns-Plan-Aggressive-Pursuit-For-LeBron-James

The Phoenix Suns are planning an aggressive pursuit of LeBron James when free agency begins on Tuesday.

The Suns have the ability to offer two full max contract slots, plus a roster with talented young players.

James has privately expressed a desire to play with Carmelo Anthony, which the Suns can offer without gutting a roster or asking the players to accept a reduction in pay.

This was a leak on purpose press release from the Suns. It was a shot over the bow for Miami and others. If you are going to go for this, you might as well go big. Make all the press ask LeBron and Melo. Make them think about it. Let Bledsoe make his case. I am not all that much for Melo, but I want LeBron.

Oh, and by the way. If the Suns can get LeBron and Melo, do ya think that Kevin Love might rethink the Suns?

It probably won't happen, but they are going for it, and it will be fun to watch.