2014 Suns Free Agency

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd really like us to go after established forwards like Trevor Ariza and Luol Deng at the right price. Warren could really learn quite a bit from either of those guys.

Chandler Parsons would be really nice here as well but I can't see Houston letting him walk unless they get 'Melo or LeBron.

At PF, Jordan Hill and Ed Davis are both intriguing to me. Jordan Hill more so because I think he will be cheaper and has a bit more range and better defense.

I'm not at all interested in signing another guard since we have so many already. However, if we do trade Gerald Green or something, Jodie Meeks is a guy to keep an eye on as a SG/SF hybrid. Perfect fit for Hornacek.

No Cs please unless its a clear upgrade and we have a deal in place to send Plumlee or Len off somewhere else. Last thing we need is a log jam at C also.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So far this is all that I have seen in regards to the Suns interest in other teams FAs

Jeff Caplan @Caplan_NBA
Told teams with interest in @KentBazemore20 include #Suns, #Magic, #Blazers, #Nets and #Hawks.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Dragic/Green/Goodwin
Bledsoe/Ennis/Goodwin

Seems like a pretty traditional backcourt rotation to me.

I don't think any other NBA team has such a talented backcourt rotation.

SF : [Tucker], Morris, Warren

There seems to be high end talent missing in this rotation but depth is very good.

PF : (Frye), Morris,

High end talent missing but depth is questionable.

C : Len, Plumlee,(Frye)

High end talent is not developed at least, depth is solid

Needs going into free agency in my mind would have to be high end talent at the PF position as well as depth, possible upgrade at SF. If Frye leaves we also need additional depth at the 5.

Need 1 - High End Talent at the Power Forward Position
1. Lebron James
2. Carmelo Anthony
3. Chris Bosh
4. Pau Gasol
5. Greg Monroe

Need 2 - Depth at the PF/C position
1. Channing Frye
2. Josh McRoberts
3. Spencer Hawes
4. Jordan Hill
5. Ed Davis

Need 3 - Small Forward Position
1. Lebron James
2. Carmelo Anthony
3. PJ Tucker
4. Trevor Ariza
5. Gordon Hayward
6. Luol Deng

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone think Spencer Hawes can play PF in our system. I know he is listed as a C at 7'1 245, but he shot 40% from 3P range last year. With Plumlee starting at C and Len backing him up Hawes could focus solely on playing the PF position where he will have a size advantage every game. He is also a pretty good passer averaging around 3 APG last year.

I am just thinking Gasol & Love are pipe dreams & even Greg Monroe is a long shot at this point. Hawes would make an intriguing possibility at the PF spot.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well... as opposed as I am to signing Carmelo, I'd take him if LeBron was in the package.

But unfortunately I think LeBron and his Heat pals already figured out what they plan to do.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... as opposed as I am to signing Carmelo, I'd take him if LeBron was in the package.

But unfortunately I think LeBron and his Heat pals already figured out what they plan to do.

I agree. And if they had actually decided to call it quits, I'd still consider our chances of landing them remote, at best.

Steve

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Doesn't hurt to take a shot.

Bledsoe
Dragic
Melo
Bron
Plumlee

Is a pretty damn good looking starting five, but that lineup wouldn't be able to spread the floor with shooting very well.

Has 2 guys who shot over 40% from 3 last year and 2 more that shot over 35%. I don't think spacing would be a problem, though I would prefer Bosh to Anthony. But whatever it takes to get LeBron would be worth it.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well at least they are shooting for the moon. Since the chances of even getting a meeting are slim to none since it appears they have a plan in Miami, I'm happy just knowing McD and staff are doing what they can to build a contender. We may not get a top guy this year, likely won't, but I have no doubt he'll keep trying until he does.

EDIT: Could you imagine how unbearable this board would become if James were to actually come to the Suns? All those young bandwagon fans... it would be like a thousand Andrews. I shiver at the thought.... but, to get a player like Lebron I'd be happy to stay away. Not that I post much here anymore, haven't much in many years, but man we'd have Lebron and no KloD, it's a double win scenario! Ok, back to reality... we don't get Lebron and you're stuck with me. Sorry if I got anyones hopes up. :)

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Absolutely. This might have been a long shot before the "Power Lunch" but no way Bosh and Wade walk away from all that money without a plan and a promise from Lebron.

If this is really the Suns big plan its almost identical to the Dbags big plan of signing Tanaka.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Maybe. But they could just be keeping their options open. If James leaves Miami, Bosh will probably want to leave too. As for Wade, he might be overestimating how strong the market would be for him, or he might be counting on a loyalty contract with the Heat if he's the last one sticking around.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
If we get Melo and Lebron, wouldn't we have to give up the Morris Twins, Frye, etc. - maybe young guys too ?

Personally, I think signing Melo has the potential to be a disaster (Similar to on the Olympics team - There's a reason guys like Prince and role guys are picked over stars) . He is not needed at all if we sign Lebron - There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" and Melo would just not be needed here ... He would destroy our depth potentially and he would only be a spot-up shooter and/or take driving opportunities away from Bledose/Dragic/Lebron

For Lebron, the underrated allure of coming to Phoenix is he won't have to wear himself out during the season ... We have the Morris Twins and Warren behind him, we have Bledsoe / Dragic to handle ball-handling - After going to 4 str. finals and getting older, Lebron knows he can't do it all next season (W/ Miami he would have to, unless Wade returns to form)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If this is really the Suns big plan its almost identical to the Dbags big plan of signing Tanaka.

Not really. We were going against teams with deeper pockets. Here, money isn't the problem; Suns would have more than enough after signing LeBron and Melo to add one or two more role players.

As I've indicated before, it makes all of the sense in the world from a basketball standpoint for LeBron to come here. The problem is that PHX will never be a destination area for FAsu

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Personally, I think signing Melo has the potential to be a disaster (Similar to on the Olympics team - There's a reason guys like Prince and role guys are picked over stars) . He is not needed at all if we sign Lebron - There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" and Melo would just not be needed here ... He would destroy our depth potentially and he would only be a spot-up shooter and/or take driving opportunities away from Bledose/Dragic/Lebron

Well the pitch to LeBron will be that the Suns can go out and nab any other available star player he wants and the speculation is that would be Melo.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. We were going against teams with deeper pockets. Here, money isn't the problem; Suns would have more than enough after signing LeBron and Melo to add one or two more role players.

As I've indicated before, it makes all of the sense in the world from a basketball standpoint for LeBron to come here. The problem is that PHX will never be a destination area for FAsu

I don't think Phoenix can never be a destination place for FA. Afterall, it used be one THE FA destinations before Sarver. Sarver just needs to show consistent progress in rehabbing his image for us to get there again. Or at some point a new owner could do it as well.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony. That's 4 guys that need the ball in their hands. Supposedly James is good friends with Bledsoe who is really be the most logical one to drop. Furthermore dropping Bledsoe doesn't really help the 4/5. Does Anthony like playing the 4 because it's well documented that James does not.

Actually the biggest reason I don't think this happens is that we are in the Western Conference. It's brutal out here.. In the Eastern conference is a cakewalk to the finals.

Joe

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
Well the pitch to LeBron will be that the Suns can go out and nab any other available star player he wants and the speculation is that would be Melo.

You're right - If Lebron will only come here if Melo comes, then we'll have to sign both ...

But if I'm Lebron - I would rather keep our depth than sign Melo ... Not only would we potentially be a better team w/o Melo, but Lebron would be the undisputed #1 scoring option and there would definitely be less of a "circus", which I know Lebron is sick of w/ the Heat the last couple years ... He just wouldn't be scrutinized as much if he came to PHX w/o Melo

The Suns strength last year was their depth / chemistry ... Signing Melo could really hurt that because he's a ball-dominant player ; Signing Lebron wouldn't

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony. That's 4 guys that need the ball in their hands. Supposedly James is good friends with Bledsoe who is really be the most logical one to drop. Furthermore dropping Bledsoe doesn't really help the 4/5. Does Anthony like playing the 4 because it's well documented that James does not.

Actually the biggest reason I don't think this happens is that we are in the Western Conference. It's brutal out here.. In the Eastern conference is a cakewalk to the finals.

Joe

I didn't realize that Lebron had made that an issue but no, Carmelo does not want to play the 4 despite the fact he's been fairly successful there. Apparently he's been quite vocal about it. The reporter I heard talking about Melo said he might consider staying at the 4 in the East but he'd not be willing to do it in the West where there is so much more talent at the position. He specifically ruled out Houston for this reason as they clearly want him at the power forward spot.

Steve

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If James and Anthony want to play together then one of them is going to have to spend time at PF(both of them actually spent as much or more time there than the did SF the past 2 years) and I'm sure they would have talked about how things will shake up.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would prefer to pick up Lebron and Bosh instead of Lebron and Melo.

Lebron at 18M$ and Bosh at 12M$ so that we would only have to trade Green to create the additional capspace.

If we go for Anthony we will lose some of our depth - > Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris and Gerald Green unless Anthony and James both sign for less than max.
In that case it might be better to lose Dragic instead of those 3.