Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2014-15 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Starts now.

Adios, D'Antoni !!!

Lakers' Mike D'Antoni steps down

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10864513/mike-dantoni-resigns-coach-los-angeles-lakers

Mike D'Antoni has resigned as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, the team announced Wednesday night.

Mike D'Antoni coached the Lakers to a 27-55 record this season, the worst 82-game mark in franchise history.

D'Antoni stepped down after the Lakers refused to pick up the second year of his contract last week, according to two sources. During conversations with the team over the past two weeks, D'Antoni had asked them to pick up the team option on the fourth year of his deal, according to sources.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love this move...only because it gives Jim Buss the opportunity to find someone even worse!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do Laker fans think will happen this offseason for them? They have enough to sign someone for close to Max money but who would want to play in that mess. Also who do you all think will be the coach? Obviously Phil Jackson being in New York means he isn't an option, so realistically who could they get and what are the expectations for next year?

I would be shocked to see them win 30 games unless they somehow pull off another Pau trade. I'm not saying that because I hate the Lakers but realistically they don't have much talent, Kobe's too old and fragile and same goes for Nash. So neither of them will make much of an impact. Pau may leave and the rest of the roster are D-Leaguers really. Without a proven coach they could be historically bad, winning only somewhere between 13-20 games.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That won't happen. They'll be back in the playoffs, unless Kobe can't play next year.

He played 6 games this season, total. They'll have a high draft pick and sign some max type free agent. Not championship level, but not historically bad, either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That won't happen. They'll be back in the playoffs, unless Kobe can't play next year.

He played 6 games this season, total. They'll have a high draft pick and sign some max type free agent. Not championship level, but not historically bad, either.

but who is that MAX free agent? there's only a couple available and would any of them really a) fit with the Lakers and more importantly b) want to actually take less money to be on the Lakers who are a disaster right now?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
but who is that MAX free agent? there's only a couple available and would any of them really a) fit with the Lakers and more importantly b) want to actually take less money to be on the Lakers who are a disaster right now?

Luol Deng. Boom.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luol Deng. Boom.

Boy...there's a move that would swing the pendulum!

My guess? Kobe plays about 60 games, they load up on one year deals and end up winning about 35 games, all with Kobe blasting the team all season long.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They won 27 games this season with the worst lineup they've ever rolled out, ever.

Winning just 35? 40 is the floor.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They won 27 games this season with the worst lineup they've ever rolled out, ever.

Winning just 35? 40 is the floor.

Pau, a gimmicky system and a fast start won them 27 games. Take all that away, add A broken down Kobe Bryant and probably not much else and that ain't getting you 40 games. PRIME Kobe WITH Odom and Caron Butler and scrubs couldn't even win 35 games back in the day.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
I have this weird feeling they're going to try to flip the #6 for Irving or Kevin Love.

Kevin Love or Irving don't win you games. You also add in their injury history and it doesn't look good. Plus, Kobe kinda negates Irving's assets. He negates any PG period.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pau, a gimmicky system and a fast start won them 27 games. Take all that away, add A broken down Kobe Bryant and probably not much else and that ain't getting you 40 games. PRIME Kobe WITH Odom and Caron Butler and scrubs couldn't even win 35 games back in the day.

Yeah 40 games in the West is going to be really tough for them and the situation they're in. I love it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7th pick...in no man's land. No KLove this year or any time in the future. Maybe they resign Pau and make a stupid move to get Deng in so they win 40 games and likely end up right outside the playoffs. awesome.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope all goes well with his foot surgery and his foot finally heals properly...

That's if he even does it. And it isn't really a surgery, it is the removal of the screw from a high school surgery. Personally, I'd do it. It's a 6 week recovery.

Good value in the second round, though they paid a lot of cash for the pick (more than the salary will be by FAR).

No. 46, Los Angeles Lakers: Jordan Clarkson, Missouri

This is tremendous value this late in the draft. He has fantastic size for a point guard, is an excellent athlete and can shoot, even though his three-point percentage dropped a bit this past season. Probably should have gone in the first round.