Captain Phillips

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn good movie! Enjoyed every minute. As usual stellar job done by Tom Hanks and the whole cast.

You must be registered for see images attach

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Captain Phillips

Release Date: October 10, 2013 (2D theaters and IMAX, p.m. screenings)
Studio: Columbia Pictures (Sony)
Director: Paul Greengrass
Screenwriter: Billy Ray
Genre: Action, Darma, Thriller
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sustained intense sequences of menace, some violence with bloody images, and for substance use)

Starring: Tom Hanks, Catherine Keener, Barkhad Abdi, Max Martini, Yul Vazquez, Michael Chernus, Chris Mulkey, Corey Johnson, David Warshofsky, John Magaro, Angus MacInnes

Plot Summary: Columbia Pictures' action-thriller "Captain Phillips" stars two-time Oscar® winner Tom Hanks in the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and the 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates of the US-flagged MV Maersk Alabama, the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in two hundred years. The film is directed by Oscar® nominee Paul Greengrass, from a screenplay by Billy Ray and based upon the book, "A Captain's Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea," by Richard Phillips with Stephan Talty. The film is produced by Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, and Michael De Luca.

You must be registered for see images attach

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this last night. It didn't have the tension or suspense of say, Black Hawk Down, but overall it was well done. The Somali pirates were cast perfectly I thought and Hanks was solid. The whole military thing was a bit overdone IMO but the way it went down at the very end was good.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I liked it I thought it was well done and suspenseful. Just thought they strung it out a bit too long. It could have been 30mins shorter for me and had just as much tension. But overall very good film.

Not sure we need spoiler alerts in this thread, we all know how it ended, but better safe than sorry. Anyway, The whole last sequence, where Hanks is being examined and is traumatized and in shock, was just brilliant acting by Hanks. I mean he just pulled that scene off so well. It was amazing IMO.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I thought it was suspenseful, even tho we knew the outcome.

Yeah, that last few scenes were amazing work by Tom Hanks. His agony just jumped out of the screen at me.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously who's better than Tom Hanks. This guy always comes through.

I know this is real and stuff like this really happens it's just amazing that 4 untrained guys can just roll up on these huge ships and just take them over. Are the crews not allowed to carry guns?

AZZenny

Reaction score
Thought it was a very good flick; well cast, and well-paced. Suspenseful even though you know the story and outcome. And (more a guilty pleasure than a spoiler)
is there anything on earth hotter than Navy Seal snipers?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously who's better than Tom Hanks. This guy always comes through.

I know this is real and stuff like this really happens it's just amazing that 4 untrained guys can just roll up on these huge ships and just take them over. Are the crews not allowed to carry guns?

My understanding is that the merchant marine cannot carry firearms.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought it was a very good flick; well cast, and well-paced. Suspenseful even though you know the story and outcome. And (more a guilty pleasure than a spoiler)
is there anything on earth hotter than Navy Seal snipers?

Spoiler for your spoiler

My wife always says .... 'oh yeah, here come the bad asses'!!!.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to see it yesterday. Good movie. Strange that they don't have armed guards on the ships going through those waters.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tension ratcheted up to an 11 for two hours. incredibly well made movie. even knowing how it ended, was still on the edge of my seat and was emotionally spent by the end of it.

Hanks was en fuego in this movie...the scene in the sick bay broke me down.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tension ratcheted up to an 11 for two hours. incredibly well made movie. even knowing how it ended, was still on the edge of my seat and was emotionally spent by the end of it.

Hanks was en fuego in this movie...the scene in the sick bay broke me down.

Absolute ditto on every single word of Cheese's post.

BTW, I told my wife after coming out of the movie that the Navy Corpsman in the film's last sequence was either a real corpsman or the best actor in the movie. Turns out that she was a real Navy Corpsman.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
BTW, I told my wife after coming out of the movie that the Navy Corpsman in the film's last sequence was either a real corpsman or the best actor in the movie. Turns out that she was a real Navy Corpsman.

Small thing, but I think small things like this are absolutely fantastic in movies like this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small thing, but I think small things like this are absolutely fantastic in movies like this.

just read that that entire scene was improvised for the most part. they could get another scene shot one day and Greengrass wanted to shoot something within two hours and they came up with the scene on the spot with the on-board medic.

that really is a crushing scene.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
just read that that entire scene was improvised for the most part. they could get another scene shot one day and Greengrass wanted to shoot something within two hours and they came up with the scene on the spot with the on-board medic.

that really is a crushing scene.

Did they say how many takes it took? I can't even imagine what it's like on the other side of the camera. Probably everyone frozen watching this great actor just hit a grand slam.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Corpsman woman said "yeah, sure" when they asked her to do the scene. Then when Hanks actually walked in, she said that she just froze. Hanks laughed and said something to the effect of "you look like you're the one who needs medical attention." She said they did a number of takes, but not an overwhelming number. Both of them were awesome.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Corpsman woman said "yeah, sure" when they asked her to do the scene. Then when Hanks actually walked in, she said that she just froze. Hanks laughed and said something to the effect of "you look like you're the one who needs medical attention." She said they did a number of takes, but not an overwhelming number.

Where did you get this information? Pretty fascinating stuff.