Kolb looked at times like he was trying to complete passes to the water cooler

Reaction score
I can't post links because I am a newb - but it looks like Kevin Kolb is not off to a great start in Buffalo...

nfl dot com

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Better than Skelton throwing passing to the beer man in row 27 :D

Kolb had a bad TC last year, yet was productive until injuries killed his season...which IMO was always his issue.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
That guy is like fools gold. He shows flashes and then a whole lot of crap.

Last edited:

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
and didn't react well to pressure

Wow - that's a surprise... We never noticed that here...

NFL Network's Heath Evans watched the entire practice and believes Manuel ultimately will win the starting QB job. Kolb will have to outplay Manuel by a good margin to be the starter. The tie goes to the rookie.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
An important point about the comments regarding not reacting well to pressure is that while there was pressure, they are not hitting him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kolb had a bad TC last year, yet was productive until injuries killed his season...which IMO was always his issue.

I agree. We did go 4 -0 with him as our QB and that's when the Oline was playing it's worst. Thing is most/all of us were sure his concussion issue would be his undoing but the dude took multiple huge hits and he didn't have any recurrence of the head injury.

I'm thrilled we have moved on from Kolb because he can't seem to stay healthy but his QB play was many levels better than Bones, Hall, Lindley etc.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree. We did go 4 -0 with him as our QB and that's when the Oline was playing it's worst. Thing is most/all of us were sure his concussion issue would be his undoing but the dude took multiple huge hits and he didn't have any recurrence of the head injury.

I'm thrilled we have moved on from Kolb because he can't seem to stay healthy but his QB play was many levels better than Bones, Hall, Lindley etc.

He only started 5 games last season. Only played start to finish in 4. I still believe he has a propensity for concussions. Most people were thinking it would be like 4-5 games or so before he got another one, but that it could happen at any time of course.

Overall his body fails him in other ways about as often as he gets concussions. In the end his last play seemed like a relatively light takedown that jacked up his ribs majorly. I also have a hard time believing that it healed out of place and it is somehow structurally sufficient to take an NFL pounding.

We'll see, and thankfully he isn't our problem anymore. Don't wish the guy bad luck or anything. Hope he does good and redeems himself. Just don't think his body will allow him to, and while he was better then our other QB's, he too was missing receivers an average QB shouldn't. He did enough to win, and so for all the crap we had to deal with as fans at least he gave us that 3 1/4 game stretch.

That said, Manuel has a good shot to start, so as a potential backup who might not see the field much he may be ok and not get injured. If he starts I suspect his head and chest are still major red flags.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Dunno about all that. His completion percentage was 5.4 points higher than Skelton and 4.2 points higher than the team average. His sack percentage was double anyone else on the team put up.

Skelton and Lindley were pretty awful last year, but the 4-0 garbage (which was really 4-2, but why let the truth get in the way of a good narrative) is more about the performance of the defense than it is anything special from Kolb. Just like Skelton in 2011.

I'm just glad the whole mess is behind us.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

This says it all. It was a nightmare that I will never forget. From the Matt Leinart preseason debacle through the horrendous and humiliating finish last season. Look at the guys who actually started for the Cardinals during this stretch: It was historically bad by league-wide standards.

Reaction score
I got a ton of flack for saying the Cardinals should have gone with Orton. I have to think the results would have been better.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Dunno about all that. His completion percentage was 5.4 points higher than Skelton and 4.2 points higher than the team average. His sack percentage was double anyone else on the team put up.

Skelton and Lindley were pretty awful last year, but the 4-0 garbage (which was really 4-2, but why let the truth get in the way of a good narrative) is more about the performance of the defense than it is anything special from Kolb. Just like Skelton in 2011.

Yea Kolb was so bad at times. Then he would look good just before getting hurt.

You said it. Glad that whole mess is in the past.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I got a ton of flack for saying the Cardinals should have gone with Orton. I have to think the results would have been better.

I was on the Orton bandwagon also. He would of been much better and cheaper than Kolb. But with our oline it may not have mattered who was back there.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Which Kolb was it who started against St Louis and Buffalo? And the line always looked its worst when Kolb was in... its not a coincidence. Kolb was just as wretched as the rest, they were just each their own brand of horrible.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Let it go.

They both sucked.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skelton has his own issues going on right now although he's disputing the stories out there in the paper about his situation.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Skelton has his own issues going on right now although he's disputing the stories out there in the paper about his situation.

I'm interested in hearing more, as well. A quick Google News search didn't turn up anything other than a Bleacher Report story and a Bengals.com story about their secondary (picking off a Skelton pass).

I can't really describe how excited I am to see Skelton on Hard Knocks next week.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That guy is like fools gold. He shows flashes and then a whole lot of crap.

Well stated. Every year Kolb would start off well and get progressively worse with each game instead of better. Hard to explain.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing more, as well. A quick Google News search didn't turn up anything other than a Bleacher Report story and a Bengals.com story about their secondary (picking off a Skelton pass).

I can't really describe how excited I am to see Skelton on Hard Knocks next week.

It's not football related which is why i haven't posted about it although it came out in May.

Skelton apparently got his GF pregnant while in HS. He went off to college and promised to take care of the baby once he could afford to so the GF didn't file any papers. When he got drafted, she contacted him to make arrangements, and he promptly denied he was the father and declined to help. A paternity test ruled he was the father and per Texas law she was owed something like 9K in back child support.

Skelton still didn't pay, so the Cards started garnishing his wages $267 per check. HE was supposed to pay the back amount, now 19K, in one lump sum but didn't so a judge finally ordered the Cards to start deducting 2K per check. The mother says she had to contact the Attorney General in Texas to get Skelton to pay he was refusing to pay even after court orders.

He denies the whole thing says he's being defamed by the ex GF and has refused to publicly comment beyond that statement on Twitter.

Cincy papers got ahold of it in late May and he's apparently been getting ripped by the fans.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's not football related which is why i haven't posted about it although it came out in May.

Skelton apparently got his GF pregnant while in HS. He went off to college and promised to take care of the baby once he could afford to so the GF didn't file any papers. When he got drafted, she contacted him to make arrangements, and he promptly denied he was the father and declined to help. A paternity test ruled he was the father and per Texas law she was owed something like 9K in back child support.

Skelton still didn't pay, so the Cards started garnishing his wages $267 per check. HE was supposed to pay the back amount, now 19K, in one lump sum but didn't so a judge finally ordered the Cards to start deducting 2K per check. The mother says she had to contact the Attorney General in Texas to get Skelton to pay he was refusing to pay even after court orders.

He denies the whole thing says he's being defamed by the ex GF and has refused to publicly comment beyond that statement on Twitter.

Cincy papers got ahold of it in late May and he's apparently been getting ripped by the fans.

http://www.kvia.com/news/john-skeltons-court-dispute/-/391068/20353058/-/jkg6oo/-/index.html

Hmm... Why were you following this story?

Also, good on the Arizona Press Corps for jumping on this.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Man you are obsessed with this guy. Was the girl your daughter? I've never seen anyone spend so much time bashing one player. Well Phrazbit was close with Kolb. But nowhere near this bad. Do you have an alert on your computer to let you know there was a post mentioning Skelton so you can come on here and write negative things about him?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.kvia.com/news/john-skeltons-court-dispute/-/391068/20353058/-/jkg6oo/-/index.html

Hmm... Why were you following this story?

Also, good on the Arizona Press Corps for jumping on this.

I wasn't, a friend who is a Cleveland fan and knows I'm a Cardinal fan emailed it to me when the story hit the papers there.

He says some fans were making a big stink about it because he's an NFL player and should have been able to pay it back without a court order.

I doubt it has any impact on his playing career but apparently any chance he had to be a fan favorite there was hurt.