Terrell Sluggs' unsolicited thanks to Cards

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
link
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/pos...013/terrell-suggs-unsolicited-thanks-to-cards

NEW ORLEANS -- A mere 3,565 days have passed since the 2003 NFL draft. That's not nearly long enough for Baltimore Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs to forget about a certain team passing over him in the first round.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sluggs

This thank you note was delivered unsolicited and with the back of the hand.
"Lo and behold, the Arizona Cardinals traded out of the pick," Suggs said. "Thank you all for that. I appreciate that with all my heart. Thank you."

The Cardinals found longtime starters Anquan Boldin, Gerald Hayes and Reggie Wellis later in that 2003 draft. Boldin, traded to Baltimore in 2010, will join Suggs in the Ravens' starting lineup against San Francisco on Sunday.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dunno why he'd rather win a SuperBowl than be on our 5-11 team. Strange.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
yea

I'm not sure he would have had as much success in our systemssssssss
If i remeber right, He was a tweener in our 4-3 system at the time.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Can't blame the guy. But one has to wonder if we'd somehow had Suggs in our SB year, if it would have made a difference? Maybe we get a key sack on Big Ben instead of allowing him to throw that clutch TD pass to Holmes? Who knows.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Can't blame the guy. But one has to wonder if we'd somehow had Suggs in our SB year, if it would have made a difference? Maybe we get a key sack on Big Ben instead of allowing him to throw that clutch TD pass to Holmes? Who knows.

Probably would've been up by 20 points and not needed Sizzle had we picked All Day over Levi.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Probably would've been up by 20 points and not needed Sizzle had we picked All Day over Levi.

Unless we were starting someone like Batiste in Levi's place. In which case Warner would have been injured long before we sniffed the SB.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

lol. No Q = no SB. Suggs is a great player. And a great dude. But this **** was just childish and immature. He takes a shot at this organization now? Our president, GM and entire coaching staff is different. This isn't the same organization. Sad he's still so bitter after all this time

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Things are seldom all good or all bad, but the least you could say was that the Cardinal FO over the long haul tended to overrate some players on their roster and sell short the importance of guys like Suggs and Q.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
He would have gotten to the SB sooner if we drafted him. Yes it was a mistake, but sheash to be bitter after this long, and not mention the other teams that passed on him is silly.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I've often wondered the same thing in reference to Calvin Pace. But in looking back at that defense it had to be mostly on Pendergast.

They had Chike Okeafor who had 44 career sacks going into 2008. Darnell Dockett who had 9 sacks the year before. Antonio Smith who has had 13.5 sacks the last two seasons with the Texans. Calais Campbell, although a rookie. Betrand Berry who had 14.5 sacks for the Cards in 2004. Karlos Dansby who had 20.5 sacks his first 4 seasons and Adrian Wilson
who had 8 sacks in 2005.

They had 5 guys who have made the pro bowl!
Those guys total 274 career sacks. And they still couldn't get to Roethlisberger or hold a lead all season for that matter and finished 28th in points allowed despite having a high powered offense.

Maybe Pace or Suggs being younger than Berry and Okeafor might have helped. Who knows? But it's fun to discuss.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Continuing to run his mouth about this nine years later shows that as a person, Suggs has a mental age that topped out at 13 or so. I feel sorry for anyone that has to deal with this clown on a daily basis. God forbid someone forget to change the toilet paper roll or something. The Cards didn't do a single thing to hurt this man-child except I guess, bruise his obviously fragile ego, but 9 years later, when Suggs is in a Superbowl, all he can talk about is the Cardinals when no one else even brought this up. Yes, its only a truism that the Cards have largely sucked as a franchise, but Suggs sucks as a human. And that something that actually matters and it never goes away.

Last edited:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Continuing to run his mouth about this nine years later shows that as a person, Suggs has a mental age that topped out at 13 or so. I feel sorry for anyone that has to deal with this clown on a daily basis. God forbid someone forget to change the toilet paper roll or something. The Cards didn't do a single thing to hurt this man-child except I guess, bruise his obviously fragile ego, but 9 years later, when Suggs is in a Superbowl, all he can talk about is the Cardinals when no one else even brought this up. Yes, its only a truism that the Cards have largely sucked as a franchise, but Suggs sucks as a human. And that something that actually matters and it never goes away.

Nicely stated!

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How about he being on out Super Bowl winning team in 2008(I'm convinced that we would have beaten Pittsburgh if we had Suggs).

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol. No Q = no SB. Suggs is a great player. And a great dude. But this **** was just childish and immature. He takes a shot at this organization now? Our president, GM and entire coaching staff is different. This isn't the same organization. Sad he's still so bitter after all this time

Coaching staff is different 3 times over.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

You couldn't be more wrong. Bruised ego? He sounds more like the guy who just missed getting hit by a train 9 years ago reminiscing about the event.

The more important aspect of this story is that it is all too familiar. Eliminating those type remarks is something I feel should be job #1 for Michael Bidwill. And from what I've read is something that Michael Bidwill realizes and intends to try as hard as he can to accomplish.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
You couldn't be more wrong. Bruised ego? He sounds more like the guy who just missed getting hit by a train 9 years ago reminiscing about the event.

The more important aspect of this story is that it is all too familiar. Eliminating those type remarks is something I feel should be job #1 for Michael Bidwill. And from what I've read is something that Michael Bidwill realizes and intends to try as hard as he can to accomplish.

I don't think I'm wrong. Its entirely obvious that Suggs comments are only coming from childish resentment. The whole irony thing where "thanks" actually means the exact opposite. I do agree the Cards missed horribly on the Pace/Skillet hands misadventure but you know what? That happened nine years ago, three coaching regimes back. A different GM. Unlike Suggs, I got over it. Adults find a way to move on.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't think I'm wrong. Its entirely obvious that Suggs comments are only coming from childish resentment. The whole irony thing where "thanks" actually means the exact opposite. I do agree the Cards missed horribly on the Pace/Skillet hands misadventure but you know what? That happened nine years ago, three coaching regimes back. A different GM. Unlike Suggs, I got over it. Adults find a way to move on.

I still think you are wrong. There is no evidence to support your contention that Suggs wanted so desperately to play for Arizona that it would still bother him significantly 9 years later that they passed on him. There is plenty of evidence for him to be grateful he didn't get drafted by them and to view the Cardinals as a losing organization like most people have for years.

4-12, 6-10, 5-11, 8-8, 9-7,10-6, 5-11, 8-8, 5-11 and ranked bottom ten in defense most seasons vs six 10 win seasons and 7 playoff appearances and ranked in the top 10 in defense most seasons.

As Cardinals fans we just have to accept the fact that the perception of the Arizona franchise around the NFL and among college football players is that of a second rate organization. They had it turning around after the SB appearance and that fantastic game vs Green Bay in the '09 playoffs and then pizzed it away by being a horrid 5-11 in 2010 and then losing 11 of their last 12 last season.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think you are wrong. There is no evidence to support your contention that Suggs wanted so desperately to play for Arizona that it would still bother him significantly 9 years later that they passed on him. There is plenty of evidence for him to be grateful he didn't get drafted by them and to view the Cardinals as a losing organization like most people have for years.

He is still a bitter little baby:

Here he was in 2011...

Suggs relishes wrecking Cardinals, who passed on drafting him

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...20111030_1_terrell-suggs-ray-lewis-ed-dickson

October 30, 2011|By Edward Lee, The Baltimore Sun

Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs isn't shy about disclosing his distaste for any other team in the NFL. But he conceded that there's something special about meeting the Arizona Cardinals, the hometown franchise that elected to bypass taking the former Arizona State standout in the 2003 draft.

"It's always special to do it against Arizona," said Suggs, who helped the Ravens edge the Cardinals, 30-27, Sunday. "I mean, let's be honest: the right thing was for me to come be a Baltimore Raven. That was the best thing that could happen to me for my professional career. But I'm going to always have a little something in the tank for them, you know what I mean?"

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He is still a bitter little baby:

Here he was in 2011...

Suggs relishes wrecking Cardinals, who passed on drafting him

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...20111030_1_terrell-suggs-ray-lewis-ed-dickson

October 30, 2011|By Edward Lee, The Baltimore Sun

Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs isn't shy about disclosing his distaste for any other team in the NFL. But he conceded that there's something special about meeting the Arizona Cardinals, the hometown franchise that elected to bypass taking the former Arizona State standout in the 2003 draft.

"It's always special to do it against Arizona," said Suggs, who helped the Ravens edge the Cardinals, 30-27, Sunday. "I mean, let's be honest: the right thing was for me to come be a Baltimore Raven. That was the best thing that could happen to me for my professional career. But I'm going to always have a little something in the tank for them, you know what I mean?"

Well, damn, maybe he is that messed up. And here I thought he was just like Simeon Rice and Thomas Jones and others who talked about being "stuck" in Arizona and college players kidding each other about who would have the misfortune of being drafted by the Cardinals.

Do you think Vontaze Burfict feels that way too?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not taking anything away from T-Sizzle but he was surrounded by elite players on defense basically 90% of his career. He still would've been a great pick for us but I don't think the production would carry over.

TruCard

Banned
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I remember screaming at my TV when this trade was made. SMH.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember screaming at my TV when this trade was made. SMH.
I think the trade was an iconic event in Cardinal history - an example; a reference point.

Maybe I'm suffering from selective hearing, but all it sounded like was a Super Bowl reporter raising the issue of "had the draft gone differently, you probably wouldn't be here" and T-Sizzle replying "Uh huh."

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I could care less what Suggs thinks. Remember he is a teammate to another ex-Card who never has anything nice to say about the Cardinal organization in Q so maybe Q keeps fanning the flames for Suggs. In both cases as far as I am concerned they can both go pound sand!

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
link
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/pos...013/terrell-suggs-unsolicited-thanks-to-cards

NEW ORLEANS -- A mere 3,565 days have passed since the 2003 NFL draft. That's not nearly long enough for Baltimore Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs to forget about a certain team passing over him in the first round.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sluggs

This thank you note was delivered unsolicited and with the back of the hand.
"Lo and behold, the Arizona Cardinals traded out of the pick," Suggs said. "Thank you all for that. I appreciate that with all my heart. Thank you."

The Cardinals found longtime starters Anquan Boldin, Gerald Hayes and Reggie Wellis later in that 2003 draft. Boldin, traded to Baltimore in 2010, will join Suggs in the Ravens' starting lineup against San Francisco on Sunday.

I do recall a lot of board members wanting Suggs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose