Bills 19 Cardinals 16 OT Post Game Thoughts

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To me the bonehead play of the day was wasting the last :20 or so of regulation by running the clock down and spiking it to set up a field goal. Seriously, we just made the huge pass to Fitz...take a shot. Go for the jugular. You might get a TD to ice the game or a PI call to move even closer. I hate it when teams are content to "play it safe" and attempt a FG and simply go to OT if the kick is missed.

I agree BIM. Thought the same thing. At least try one into the end zone there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will give you a team that has 3 LTs on its roster---the Detroit Lions---who need CBs---how about Greg Toler for Jeff Backus? Reilly Reiff takes over as their starting LT.

How about Chris Williams of the Bears? Rumor has it the Bears would willing to listen to trade offers there.

or we could have drafted reiff ourselves and kept Toler. Which was my point I agree we shouldn't be ni this situation but the way to prevent that was before the season started.

Teams don't trade good tackles very often, if they do there's usually a good reason, money, attitude etc.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree BIM. Thought the same thing. At least try one into the end zone there.

NO FREAKING WAY! I can see running another play or two trying to get a few more yards. But no way do you loft one into the end zone from there especially with the 20% Skelton throwing the ball.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NO FREAKING WAY! I can see running another play or two trying to get a few more yards. But no way do you loft one into the end zone from there especially with the 20% Skelton throwing the ball.

I think, mostly, it's my frustration because of the propensity to settle for field goals instead of touchdowns. They leave 4 extra points on the field WAY too often, for all of the reasons discussed ad nauseum on other threads.

Also, probably why I am not an OC in the NFL :)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think, mostly, it's my frustration because of the propensity to settle for field goals instead of touchdowns. They leave 4 extra points on the field WAY too often, for all of the reasons discussed ad nauseum on other threads.

Also, probably why I am not an OC in the NFL :)

lol..Well the 4 point in that situation are meaningless. 3 Wins it.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I think CKW played it perfectly---his kicker was white hot---and this was a chip shot for him and he had split the uprights on every kick in the game. Don't jeopardize anything.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
lol..Well the 4 point in that situation are meaningless. 3 Wins it.

But, didn't. There are risks either way. Granted, less on trying the kick maybe, but nothing is certain.

You are probably correct, it was the safe thing to do in that situation. But I still wanted the shot in the endzone.:D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, didn't. There are risks either way. Granted, less on trying the kick maybe, but nothing is certain.

You are probably correct, it was the safe thing to do in that situation. But I still wanted the shot in the endzone.:D

Well we should have passed to Roberts or Housler for the TD since I had both in fantasy leagues(not the same one) yesterday.

But for just winning the game the kick was the right move.

The odds of them completely forgetting to cover a WR again like the play to Fitz were probably pretty slim.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Yeah, that was a disaster waiting to happen. Could you imagine the response from this board then? Feely just made one from 61, what the *&^%$$ were you thinking? Hindsight is 20/20.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a disaster waiting to happen. Could you imagine the response from this board then? Feely just made one from 61, what the *&^%$$ were you thinking? Hindsight is 20/20.

yeah maybe we should have ran a pitch play to center the ball. This board would have went crazy.

Whiz made the right call to go for the field goal.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah maybe we should have ran a pitch play to center the ball. This board would have went crazy.

Whiz made the right call to go for the field goal.

Oh no doubt. If we ran a play and fumbled or went for the endzone and threw an INT. This place would be at the facility with pitch forks.

Reaction score
I think Feely was to amped up for that last kick. He had just made the 61 yarder & the ensuing kickoff almost went through the uprights. Right before the fg try I was hoping the Bills would call a timeout to "ice" him. He needed to calm down a bit before trying the 38 yarder imho.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me the bonehead play of the day was wasting the last :20 or so of regulation by running the clock down and spiking it to set up a field goal. Seriously, we just made the huge pass to Fitz...take a shot. Go for the jugular. You might get a TD to ice the game or a PI call to move even closer. I hate it when teams are content to "play it safe" and attempt a FG and simply go to OT if the kick is missed.

That or giving up a safety early in the game. No excuse for that. You know the line is struggling - design a play to get the ball out quickly.

This has been Whiz's coaching style since day 1. Play not to lose instead of to win. Look at the Super Bowl. Last drive. Played not to lose and we got burnt.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been Whiz's coaching style since day 1. Play not to lose instead of to win. Look at the Super Bowl. Last drive. Played not to lose and we got burnt.
:mulli:

Kicking a FG there wins the game. So please philosophize and tell us how thats playing not to lose?

Explain the last drive of the SB too please?

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:mulli:

Kicking a FG there wins the game. So please philosophize and tell us how thats playing not to lose?

Explain the last drive of the SB too please?

Playing not to lose is letting time run down while not trying to get closer. It's not "philosophizing", it's realism. Tell me, what's an easier FG to make, a 38 yarder or a 28 yarder? Simply put, try to run a couple of out patterns that might burn 5 seconds a play. If they're incomplete, no harm, no foul. As for the Super Bowl, everyone knew how Big Ben can lead a 2 minute drill(he did the same thing last week against Philly) but Whiz and Pendergast chose to run the ever popular prevent defense. We had them on their 10 yard line and Whiz chose to play a soft defense. Facts are pesky little things. But it doesn't matter because many here have their noses so far up Whiz's 4th point of contact that they know exactly what he has for breakfast daily and would never question him.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

So is that why we ran the fake punt, but he does have a tendency to get ultra conservative in tight situations till we need a ton of yards and it is 4th down :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing not to lose is letting time run down while not trying to get closer. It's not "philosophizing", it's realism. Tell me, what's an easier FG to make, a 38 yarder or a 28 yarder? Simply put, try to run a couple of out patterns that might burn 5 seconds a play. If they're incomplete, no harm, no foul. As for the Super Bowl, everyone knew how Big Ben can lead a 2 minute drill(he did the same thing last week against Philly) but Whiz and Pendergast chose to run the ever popular prevent defense. We had them on their 10 yard line and Whiz chose to play a soft defense. Facts are pesky little things. But it doesn't matter because many here have their noses so far up Whiz's 4th point of contact that they know exactly what he has for breakfast daily and would never question him.

They could have blocked a 28 yarder too. Maybe it goes in but the facts are Feely is money for his career.

On the SB if you remember the big play in that game was DRC screwing up and gambling letting his man get behind him for a big play that really jumpstarted the Steeler drive. Not only was that NOT the fault of a prevent, it was the exact opposite of a prevent DRC tried to jump the route and make a hero play and instead gave up a big play.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
They could have blocked a 28 yarder too. Maybe it goes in but the facts are Feely is money for his career.

On the SB if you remember the big play in that game was DRC screwing up and gambling letting his man get behind him for a big play that really jumpstarted the Steeler drive. Not only was that NOT the fault of a prevent, it was the exact opposite of a prevent DRC tried to jump the route and make a hero play and instead gave up a big play.

I'll still never understand how we had 3 guys in the corner of the end zone and they still complete the pass. Would have gone to overtime anyway and who knows what would have happened.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll still never understand how we had 3 guys in the corner of the end zone and they still complete the pass. Would have gone to overtime anyway and who knows what would have happened.

Yeah that too but I'm talking about the play earlier in the drive when DRC has the deep left and comes flying up to jump the route to Holmes, who makes a double move gets behind DRC and catches like a 30 yarder. Really got that drive going.

When it happened live I was mad at whoever was playing deep behind DRC until we saw the replay enough to figure out that was nobody, it was DRC's responsibility but he went for the knockout and didn't get it.

Brutal last drive though and you're right with 3 guys how does the Steeler WR get deeper than any of them? Put Fitz back there and he bats that down.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is that why we ran the fake punt, but he does have a tendency to get ultra conservative in tight situations till we need a ton of yards and it is 4th down :)

The guys record in OT and tight games speaks for itself. Really cant even be argued. Even suggesting that he plays not to lose is just ludicrous.

We all know that had Whiz threw a pass or two as NJ suggests and it got INT'd he would be on here roasting him for that too.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The guys record in OT and tight games speaks for itself. Really cant even be argued. Even sniffing that he plays not to lose is just ludicrous.

We all know that had Whiz threw a pass or two as NJ suggests and it got INT's he would be on here roasting him for that too.
This.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
What was most perplexing about the performance was how listless the Cardinals' offense was to start this game---particularly after 10 days to "clean things up" and atone for the poor performance on TNF.

The thing is---the way Daryl Washington forced a fumble on the Bills' first play and the way the Bills have been reeling, a rejuvenated and determined Cardinal offense could have set the tempo for the entire game---except that what we got is the perfunctory dive left for -1 yards on first down, an errant throw over the middle to a wide open Jeff King on 2nd and 11 and you guessed it a sack on 3rd and 11.

Many teams have a rule of thumb that off of a momentum seizing turnover like the one the Cardinals got right off the bat, you take a shot for the endzone---in other words you let the other team know you are being super aggressive.

After watching the Rams' tape and seeing the painfully redundant 2nd and 11-14s after -1 to -4 yards 1st down run failures---to think that the coaches elected instead to run the same running plays on first down versus their run stuffers makes one wonder if the coaches really watch the tapes or have a strong enough sense of how to pull this offense out of its duldrums.

It does seem as though the coaches really want to establish the run. But what is the best way to do it? You have to loosen up the D with some passes. But even that seems to get this team in a hole because of the protection. But I agree that you need to establish the pass to open up the run game more, otherwise you better be content with 2-3 yds. on 1st down.

But going run when your getting 7-8 yds on a pass on 1st down seems like a better option for this team. Especially early in games, take some shots and loosen up those D's!! Couldn't agree more - esp. after turnovers.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It does seem as though the coaches really want to establish the run. But what is the best way to do it? You have to loosen up the D with some passes. But even that seems to get this team in a hole because of the protection. But I agree that you need to establish the pass to open up the run game more, otherwise you better be content with 2-3 yds. on 1st down.

But going run when your getting 7-8 yds on a pass on 1st down seems like a better option for this team. Especially early in games, take some shots and loosen up those D's!! Couldn't agree more - esp. after turnovers.

Running a 5'7" 180lb guy up the middle definitely isn't the best way to do it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard? Have the Ravens made trades to replace their injured players yet?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose