Pink Slime - AKA Ground beef

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Interesting video. Gotta give Oliver credit. Surprised he got that segment on air considering who buys ad time on that network. Wonder if he is catching any heat with the Beef industry like Oprah experienced.

I'm not a granola guy at all, but buying organic seems to be the only hope for finding suitable food these days. Been trying to stay away from grocery stores and chain restaurants when possible.

OP
OP
BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a granola guy at all, but buying organic seems to be the only hope for finding suitable food these days. Been trying to stay away from grocery stores and chain restaurants when possible.

I have too. I really don't have that much of a prob with the 'extra' as it can still be digested. Just about all animal parts are consumed in other parts of the world.

But, it's the ammonium hydroxide, and quantity, during the "processing" part that I'm not too fond of.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting video. Gotta give Oliver credit. Surprised he got that segment on air considering who buys ad time on that network. Wonder if he is catching any heat with the Beef industry like Oprah experienced.

where are you going?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
where are you going?

My local Trader Joes has a decent amount of organic offerings as well as some minimally processed items. Would be nice to find somewhere larger though.

Restauraunts are a toughie. Cutting out fast food and crossing my fingers elsewhere.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My local Trader Joes has a decent amount of organic offerings as well as some minimally processed items. Would be nice to find somewhere larger though.

Restauraunts are a toughie. Cutting out fast food and crossing my fingers elsewhere.

damn thought youd have something good for me. Trader joes is a grocery store too, along with F&E. I buy some things at frys and some at F&E but would love to find local stuff that is not processed.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im trying to start hitting a local farmer market for veggies by harbor freight on mcclintock and warner but its hard to get there in the small morning windows they are there on the weekends.

What I can get it a good deal on made by F&E I take as they dont do artificial stuff or corn syrup so at least it is a step forward.

OP
OP
BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, there is obviously Whole Foods, but quite pricey. Though they've tried to become a bit more competitive with some items.

The Farmers market downtown on the weekends is good and there is a grocery store at the same locale that sells many of the same items. A lot of the food is both local and organic. http://foodconnect.org/phxmarket/

Schreiner's Fine Sausage is good for local meat. http://www.schreinerssausage.com/

Btw, the video, I think, mostly refers to fast food meat and pre-processed ground meat you'd find in off the shelf items such as chilli, stews, etc.

The video claims 70% of ground beef which is quite a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What I can get it a good deal on made by F&E I take as they dont do artificial stuff or corn syrup so at least it is a step forward.

Thing is the ammonium hydroxide is part of the processing, so you'd never know if it's really included.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't eat meat, so I guess this really doesn't petain to me; however, I've been doing a lot more shopping at the Scottsdale Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. Local stuff and less processing. The prices are a little higher, but I guess you get what you pay for. Many vendors offer meat products.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing is the ammonium hydroxide is part of the processing, so you'd never know if it's really included.

not sure what that means, all I know is they advertise no additives, no corn syrups and etc in their foods.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there is obviously Whole Foods, but quite pricey. Though they've tried to become a bit more competitive with some items.

The Farmers market downtown on the weekends is good and there is a grocery store at the same locale that sells many of the same items. A lot of the food is both local and organic. http://foodconnect.org/phxmarket/

Schreiner's Fine Sausage is good for local meat. http://www.schreinerssausage.com/

Btw, the video, I think, mostly refers to fast food meat and pre-processed ground meat you'd find in off the shelf items such as chilli, stews, etc.

The video claims 70% of ground beef which is quite a bit.

Schreiner is organic? Or just local meat? Phoenix is a long way for groceries but checking out the site.

OP
OP
BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
not sure what that means, all I know is they advertise no additives, no corn syrups and etc in their foods.
Processing, in this instance, is how the meat is prepared as an ingredient for something. Ammonium hydroxide is used to kill ecoli in the leftover scraps.

Additives are ingredients as well, such as MSG.

The processing of meat does not need to be included in the label per the FDA, so all you see is "beef" on the label. How that ground beef is made is the point of the video/article.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
damn thought youd have something good for me. Would love to find local stuff that is not processed.

A Sprouts grocery store recently opened in my neighborhood. That place is great. A large selection of organic veggies, fruits, beverages, cheese and meat as well as a nice array of un/low processed food. Not sure if they have Sprouts in AZ though.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Another avenue you can consider is Community Sponsored Agriculture or CSA's. You buy a share of the co-operative farmers harvest. Food is organic, great prices, and supporting local farmers instead of Monsanto. In NY we were able to get fruit, vegetables and sources for meat and dairy/eggs

Sent via Tapatalk by my BlackBerry Bold 9930

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Somewhere along the line "pink slime" became "lean finely textured beef"......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/28/media/abc-bpi-settlement/index.html

ABC settles suit over what it had called 'pink slime'

After three weeks of trial in a South Dakota courtroom, ABC and Beef Products Inc. reached a settlement in a defamation lawsuit over a series of news reports on the meat producer's use of lean, finely textured beef product -- sometimes referred to by its detractors as "pink slime."

"ABC has reached an amicable resolution of its dispute with the makers of 'lean finely textured beef,'" the network said in a statement. The South Dakota-based BPI sued ABC for more than $1 billion over reports that originally aired in 2012, alleging that the coverage severely hurt its business. In the reports, ABC explained that the product was not unsafe to eat, but that BPI did not label when it was included in its beef. Dan Webb, an attorney for BPI, told CNNMoney his clients were "extraordinarily pleased to have reached a settlement."

"This was a long road to travel for BPI," Webb said in a phone interview. "We felt the trial was necessary to rectify the enormous financial harm that had been suffered by BPI as a result of what we believed to be extraordinarily biased and baseless reporting by ABC in 2012."

In its statement on Wednesday, ABC indicated that it stood by its reporting. "Throughout this case, we have maintained that our reports accurately presented the facts and views of knowledgeable people about this product," the statement said. "Although we have concluded that continued litigation of this case is not in the Company's interests, we remain committed to the vigorous pursuit of truth and the consumer's right to know about the products they purchase." Terms of the settlement have not been disclosed.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I now buy ground beef right from the butcher and avoid all of the pre packaged ground beef, specifically the one in the tube. I figure that helps. I cant imagine the butcher at frys is putting all that crap in it when they grind up the beef.

Either way I stopped eating fast food (for the most part) and started making my own meals far more. I also dropped a lot of marketed foods and try to stick to meat, veggies, fruits and nuts. Lost some weight, feel better, taste buds changed, progress.

The least healthy intake I have these days is the occasional in and out burger (I consider that healthy fast food) and monster energy drinks. Everything else I make.