Drc WHO? Cards sign CB Richard Marshall

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i do like the fact that this makes plays on the ball. but that burn rate is pretty damn horrific.

none of it will matter if we don't get someone who can actually get close enough to sneeze on the QB.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
are those accounts by people on this board? because his stats didn't bear that out.

What stats are you referencing? He had more than double the # of tackles than DRC and only one less interception.

It's undeniable that DRC is much better, but his inconsistency was a big issue.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i do like the fact that this makes plays on the ball. but that burn rate is pretty damn horrific.

none of it will matter if we don't get someone who can actually get close enough to sneeze on the QB.

Burn rate is bad, but in Horton's system, he won't be putting them in position where they need to cover man all over the place and get burned. His zone blitz schemes will have protections built in as he covers the blitzers with confusion coverages.

We could have done a far sight worse...like signing Stuckey as our WR to replace Breaston or something stupid like that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burn rate is bad, but in Horton's system, he won't be putting them in position where they need to cover man all over the place and get burned. His zone blitz schemes will have protections built in as he covers the blitzers with confusion coverages.

We could have done a far sight worse...like signing Stuckey as our WR to replace Breaston or something stupid like that.

lol.

like I said, i like that he's a play-maker and physical, but that burn rate is horrific. and i just hate that for the most part, our bar is always lowered to "we could have done a far sight worse".

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol.

like I said, i like that he's a play-maker and physical, but that burn rate is horrific. and i just hate that for the most part, our bar is always lowered to "we could have done a far sight worse".

Give em credit cheese. They went after Namdi. He said he wasn't interested. Oh well. :(

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
If this is fact-----I like the signing. He was solid starter in Carolina. He's young and he will hit you. He's also coachable, (something that I am not positive was possible for DRC). Had 7 passes defended in 2010.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Give em credit cheese. They went after Namdi. He said he wasn't interested. Oh well. :(

He can't do that. He would actually have to like this team. Crimeny sakes Cheese Lighten up. It's a game. Not a way of life for us. Tell me Sir does what the Cards do put food on your table? Pay your weekly wage? Make or break your love life? Again it's a freakin' game, it's not important in the scheme of survivabilty (sp) for most of us. It's entertainment! Nothing more and nothing less.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are those accounts by people on this board? because his stats didn't bear that out.

There has already been a stat analysis posted that showed that DRC was worse than Toler last year. It was by Football Outsiders.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, he isn't old or injury prone so clearly he sucks. Why else would we sign him?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look guys, if Yahoo doesn't rate him as the best player, he is crap and shouldn't be on our team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, he isn't old or injury prone so clearly he sucks.

Why else would we sign him?

I'm assuming it's because we hadn't filled our quota of "worst ranked player at his position" (according to burn rates) yet? :)

oh wait... you mentioned clearly suck in your first thesis... answered your own question there smart guy.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ha! first time i've been wrong in my life!

Honestly it is probably the only time it will happen again. DRC is a LOT better than Toler. It was clear he checked out with losing though.

It would not shock me if they keep all 3 corners in Philly if he didn't check out again.

If they dump Asante though, win some games, and keep him involved, he could be right back in the Pro Bowl.

If Toler ever makes the pro bowl I will be shocked.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's a difference between the best and literally the WORST no, Chris?

I would not take one fan article as gospel. That is all "the shutdown corner" is. It is a blog.

I would guage me as "cautiously optomistic". I like it better than Ike Taylor if that makes sense.

Clearly not on the level of DRC, Joseph, or Asomugha though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly it is probably the only time it will happen again. DRC is a LOT better than Toler. It was clear he checked out with losing though.

agree... I will never be wrong again.

It would not shock me if they keep all 3 corners in Philly if he didn't check out again.

If they dump Asante though, win some games, and keep him involved, he could be right back in the Pro Bowl.

If Toler ever makes the pro bowl I will be shocked.

Reid will get the best out of DRC... so will their pass-rush. That team is going to be scary good this year unless Vick melts down.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I like though is we continue to try. The NFC West is TERRIBLE. Like Barkley Turrible.

7-9 won it last year. We were 2 games out.

The overall product on the field will be much better this year. Hopefully it translates into more wins.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree... I will never be wrong again.

Reid will get the best out of DRC... so will their pass-rush. That team is going to be scary good this year unless Vick melts down.

With Namdi on that team DRC is gonna get picked on heavily.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
One thing I like though is we continue to try. The NFC West is TERRIBLE. Like Barkley Turrible.

7-9 won it last year. We were 2 games out.

The overall product on the field will be much better this year. Hopefully it translates into more wins.

:iwa:Seriously though, I'm with him.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IF true, this is a brilliant signing. That's right-I said brilliant.

This one is all about scheme, folks. Outside of Nnamdi and Joseph, Marshall is the best FA CB we can sign. He's the perfect fit.

Admittedly, he had a down season last year, but the guy has solid cover skills. Plus, he can hit. Very, very well. I found a couple articles about CBs the Steelers should target if they lost Taylor. Marshall was pretty much the unanimous choice, due to his ability to play zone and his tackling. Then I found this article from PFF about missed tackles by CBs.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/18/tackling-corners-2/
When we first talked about these numbers, one of the first players talked about was the Cardinals’ Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. DRC finished the year with the 8th poorest ratio for cornerbacks in the league, missing one in every 4.92 attempts he made, but it’s worth noting that those figures don’t include the plays where he showed no interest whatsoever in even getting to the position of attempting a tackle, of which there are at least two such incidents that leap immediately to mind. DRC is another case of the raw numbers not telling the entire story, but unlike Woodson, the broader context isn’t so kind. For those of you surprised that he wasn’t closer to the worst tackling corners in the league last year, he may have been just as bad as you fear.
DRC obviously has better cover skills. But if Marshall can return to his level of play from two years ago, he might actually be more productive than DRC in a zone-blitz scheme in terms of overall play. I really hope this rumor is true.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Isn't this the dude that Kurt & Larry repeatedly torched in the 2009 playoff game?

At worst he is a significant upgrade over DRC in run defense and a serious liability in pass defense. At best, he contributes as a nickle back and competes for #2 CB, while contributing on special teams. At least the Cardinals are doing SOMETHING. I had Money Mike penciled in at nickle back. :(

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe he'd make a good 1st and 2nd down corner and toler would play more often on 3rd down?

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Checked on Pro Football Focus and he's was ranked 3rd last at starting CB after having a decent year the one before that. Still better than we have though!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose