My Offseason Plan

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Looking over the rosters of teams I see 6 or 7 teams that are desparate for a QB: Jacksonville, Miami, Minnesota, Washington, Tennessee, SF, and of course the Cards. There are few others that I could see taking one later for development or if one of the big 4 drops into their laps in the 2nd: Cincinnati, Buffalo, Oakland, and Carolina. Thats at least 11 teams that need or could use a QB.

There appears to be about 6 available that are serviceable through FA or trade: Young, Orton, Bulger, Smith, Kolb, McNabb and maybe a few other sleeper FA: Gradkowski, Hasselbeck, and Collins.

I'm not sold on Kolb, McNabb, Bulger, Collins, or Young. Kolb is decent, but you never know if an Eagle QB is skilled or just puts up numbers because he's playing for Reid's offense, I'd probably be tempted for a 2nd, but certainly not a 1st. I'm not sold on McNabb for the same reason plus he's getting old and broken down. Bulger would be killed within a few weeks. Collins just doesn't have anything/is old. Young at this point in his career/life couldn't handle Whiz's handling. That leaves Orton, Smith, Gradkowski, and Hasselbeck. Of those, probably the best currently and with the most "upside" is Orton, but he'd also cost us a draft pick.

In the draft we have Gabbert, Newton, Mallet as first rounders, and Locker, Ponder, and Dalton late first/2nd round guys. I think Gabbert probably has the least bust potential/highest ceiling combo.

If the CBA is worked out prior to the draft I'd trade for Orton and draft Gabbert at #5. This would likely cost us our 1st (Gabbert) and 3rd (Orton) minimum, but could solve our QB problem for possibly 5 or 10 years with Orton, Gabbert, Skelton. Obviously nothing is certian, but I like the mix these three would offer us.

2nd round - Aaron Williams, CB, Texas - Before the UT meltdown this year that affected everyone from Mack Brown to the waterboys, he was mentioned in the same breath as Akamura and Peterson. This would allow us to move Toler over to Wilson's spot, and bring Wilson in to blitz in certain situations.

4th round - Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida

5th round - Ricky Elmore, OLB, Arizona

Crapshoot but i'd draft the highest remaining TE, OT, and NT.

In Free Agency, we'd have to address LT, OLB, ILB and starting TE. My choices would be:

LT: Jared Gaither as long as his back checks out. Doug Free would be back up option but don't think we'll outbid Jerry Jones.

OLB: Obviously the ideal choice would be Woodley, but does anyone really think that will happen. I'd be thrilled, but trying to be realistic. Tambi Hall or Kamerion Wimbley would be fine.

ILB: The draft is pretty thin here unfortunately, Hayes may have to stick around as a backup this year, but if he starts, we may be susceptable against the run again. I'd try to bring in Harris, Posluzny, Tullock in that order.

TE: Lots of decent options here, and since we can't develop one may as well grab one that the hard work is done already. Mercedes Lewis fits the bill here, second choice is Kevin Boss.

Finally, I'd name Grimm offensive coordinator and bring in Bostad OL coach for Wisconsin to coach the line. Move Hadnot to center, and Brown to LG.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still mystified as to why we can't get a TE that is at least serviceable. Obviously one that can block would help the most but it darn sure wouldn't hurt to have someone that could catch something thrown his way.

I agree about Boss, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they could get him

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fun writeup!
That leaves Orton, Smith, Gradkowski, and Hasselbeck.
In the draft we have Gabbert, Newton, Mallet as first rounders, and Locker, Ponder, and Dalton late first/2nd round guys. I think Gabbert probably has the least bust potential/highest ceiling combo.
I think Grad's always been pretty impressive from the "intangibles" standpoint, he doesn't get a lot of press, and has trouble staying healthy, but has the moxie Whis seems to covet.
I also agree that right now Gabbert is by far and away the best looking of the big QBs.
I agree I want a high draft pick and a FA QB to push Skelton.
OLB: Obviously the ideal choice would be Woodley, but does anyone really think that will happen. I'd be thrilled, but trying to be realistic. Tambi Hall or Kamerion Wimbley would be fine.
I think "fine" is being humble, any of the three would be tremendous but I have no real illusion about them getting away from their current team.
TE: Lots of decent options here, and since we can't develop one may as well grab one that the hard work is done already. Mercedes Lewis fits the bill here, second choice is Kevin Boss.
Boss over Lewis. Boss is the better blocker and more in line of what we assume the coaching staff is looking for.
I also have to think that Lewis' obvious chemistry w/ Garrard would mean a big push to keep him in JAX.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This would likely cost us our 1st (Gabbert) and 3rd (Orton) minimum, but could solve our QB problem for possibly 5 or 10 years with Orton, Gabbert, Skelton. Obviously nothing is certian, but I like the mix these three would offer us.

This is exactly why having your drafted players wash out hurts so much. The Leinart failure, in your scenario, would end up costing the Cards two first round draft picks and a third and millions of dollars. And we still wouldn't be certain the QB problem had been fixed.

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
This is exactly why having your drafted players wash out hurts so much. The Leinart failure, in your scenario, would end up costing the Cards two first round draft picks and a third and millions of dollars. And we still wouldn't be certain the QB problem had been fixed.

I agree, but we are where we are. I still don't think drafting Leinart was a mistake considering what pick we drafted him with and what we had at QB at the time. It just didn't work out. Maybe if we had gone a different direction with the head coach the following year things would be very different. Of course then we may not have made our SB run.

If we had Orton this year, we'd have walked away with the division. Extend him for 2 years, and if Gabbert and Skelton progress like we hope they do, we'll be in good shape going forward. I can't speak about Orton's desire or ability to teach younger guys though.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, but we are where we are. I still don't think drafting Leinart was a mistake considering what pick we drafted him with and what we had at QB at the time. It just didn't work out. Maybe if we had gone a different direction with the head coach the following year things would be very different. Of course then we may not have made our SB run.

If we had Orton this year, we'd have walked away with the division. Extend him for 2 years, and if Gabbert and Skelton progress like we hope they do, we'll be in good shape going forward. I can't speak about Orton's desire or ability to teach younger guys though.

:yeahthat:

Everything I've heard (limited) about Orton is that he is a great lockroom guy. Usually that transfers to helping mentor youngins but not always.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
I think the asking price for Orton is a second rounder, not a third.

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I think the asking price for Orton is a second rounder, not a third.

It may be a 2nd, but what they want and what they'll get isn't necessarily the same thing. Philly's asking price for Kolb is two 1st, and I doubt they'll even get 1. With a new coach and CBA uncertainty they may elect to keep him as a back up to Tebow reguardless, but if they do decide to trade him I doubt they'll decline an early 3rd if thats their best offer.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHy do people think a second round pick for Orton is too much? We would be making a HUGE upgrade at the position with a guy that is experienced, only 28 years old, throws more td's than picks, and has a QB rating in the mid 80's. If Skelton is the guy the Cardinals front office thinks he is and he is able to wrestle the starting job away from Orton in a year or two, that would be great.

That is a gauranteed improvement. What gaurantee do we get from a second round pick? For this team to compete NEXT YEAR we need immediate upgrades at 2 or 3 positions.

Skelton showed enough for me to think he could develop into a very good QB, but it will take some time. That's why Orton makes the most sense.

Forget Kolb. The Eagles aren't going to let him go. He was a Reid pick and Vick is ALWAYS one play from getting knocked out.
Forget Bulger. He wouldn't last 1 quarter with this team before getting hurt.
Forget McNAbb. If Shanahan can get him good numbers ,we certainly wouldn't either.
Collins? Don't make me laugh.
Young? Won't happen.
Smith? Actualy would be my second choice because he is young and has been dicked around by the floundering 49er's program.

Nope. Do not draft a QB unless it's Andrew Luck next year.

We need to bolster the o-line and ANY LB position with free agents. That would allow us to draft the BPA, which is the way to do it.

BTW , I think drafting Fairly would be HUGE. It would allow us great flexability along the d line either rotating Williams in and out imagine a front four of Dockett, Williams, Fairly and Campbell in the right situations.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
WHy do people think a second round pick for Orton is too much? We would be making a HUGE upgrade at the position with a guy that is experienced, only 28 years old, throws more td's than picks, and has a QB rating in the mid 80's. If Skelton is the guy the Cardinals front office thinks he is and he is able to wrestle the starting job away from Orton in a year or two, that would be great.

That is a gauranteed improvement. What gaurantee do we get from a second round pick? For this team to compete NEXT YEAR we need immediate upgrades at 2 or 3 positions.

Skelton showed enough for me to think he could develop into a very good QB, but it will take some time. That's why Orton makes the most sense.

Forget Kolb. The Eagles aren't going to let him go. He was a Reid pick and Vick is ALWAYS one play from getting knocked out.
Forget Bulger. He wouldn't last 1 quarter with this team before getting hurt.
Forget McNAbb. If Shanahan can get him good numbers ,we certainly wouldn't either.
Collins? Don't make me laugh.
Young? Won't happen.
Smith? Actualy would be my second choice because he is young and has been dicked around by the floundering 49er's program.

Nope. Do not draft a QB unless it's Andrew Luck next year.

We need to bolster the o-line and ANY LB position with free agents. That would allow us to draft the BPA, which is the way to do it.

BTW , I think drafting Fairly would be HUGE. It would allow us great flexability along the d line either rotating Williams in and out imagine a front four of Dockett, Williams, Fairly and Campbell in the right situations.

We would need to get a DC who is not an idiot for that to work, and it is not looking real good on that front.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We would need to get a DC who is not an idiot for that to work, and it is not looking real good on that front.

Amen to that , Brother. In Mitch's post I wrote the same thing. We will get a better picture of the direction we will be going after a DC is hired. The personel on this team screams 4-3 defense. How can you expect to play a 3-4 D with a LB corps that is made up of a rookie, two middle tier free agent and a washed up veteran?

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I think Grad's always been pretty impressive from the "intangibles" standpoint, he doesn't get a lot of press, and has trouble staying healthy, but has the moxie Whis seems to covet.
I also agree that right now Gabbert is by far and away the best looking of the big QBs.
I agree I want a high draft pick and a FA QB to push Skelton.

I think "fine" is being humble, any of the three would be tremendous but I have no real illusion about them getting away from their current team.

Boss over Lewis. Boss is the better blocker and more in line of what we assume the coaching staff is looking for.
I also have to think that Lewis' obvious chemistry w/ Garrard would mean a big push to keep him in JAX.

Yeah, I actually like Gradkowski alot as a bridge for a few years, but that's based more on the Raiders just playing better when he's in there. Haven't seen him play much, or know if he's a good fit for Whiz.

Boss would be fine, I just prefer Lewis. I'm not sure how much longer Jax will go with Garrard, I think they will definately be looking QB early this year (Ponder or Dalton in the 2nd?).

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Amen to that , Brother. In Mitch's post I wrote the same thing. We will get a better picture of the direction we will be going after a DC is hired. The personel on this team screams 4-3 defense. How can you expect to play a 3-4 D with a LB corps that is made up of a rookie, two middle tier free agent and a washed up veteran?

I agree we are probably closer to a 4-3 than a 3-4 personnel wise right now, but we'd still need a big MLB.

Alot of people seem to hammer on the DL's play this year, and I agree it probably didn't improve from last year, but keep in mind the job of the D-line in a 3-4 is to keep the blockers occupied and let the LBs make plays. We had exactly 0 playmakers at LB. They were below average in everything you ask them to do; rush the passer, coverage, stopping the run and it made the entire defense look horrible.

Just for comparison Ziggy Hood 15 Games 20 tackles, 3 sacks; Casey Hampton, probably a top 3 NT in the NFL, 15 games, 20 tackles, 1 sack; Brett Keisel 11 games, 33 tackles, 3 sacks.

We probably have better personnel at 6 defensive positions than Pittsburgh, but better coaching and LB play made that big of a difference.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is sound logic. Anyone who doesn't list the QB position as the biggest need hasn't been watching the Cards in 2010. With a good QB the O-line plays better in both run blocking and pass protection. With a good QB the D doesn't get put back out on the field nearly as much and they have a morale boost.

I know I get caught up in hitting the jackpot in the draft and with an early
2nd rd pick your chances are pretty decent of doing so.