DeFalco's Italian Deli and Grocery

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently discovered this place (and it is 1/2 mile from my house) on Scottsdale, between Thomas and McDowell.

Great Italian Food, Great Deli, Grocery...:notworthy:

Eaten there three times in a week :D

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Decent to better slightly better than decent Italian food... WAY, WAY over-priced... And this is coming from a NY Italian who normally doesn't mind at all paying for high quality, great Italian food!

The best Italian Deli - BY FAR - is Andreoli's (http://www.andreoli-grocer.com/). Probably too far for you Jon... it's located off of Via Linda right off the 101. But hands down, the most, consistently GREAT Italian food I have found here in the Valley. I love the place. Everyone speaks Italian. On Saturday afternoons, I'll go in there with my kids and the place is filled with the cutest, old Italian men and women, sitting, chatting in Italian, watching the Italian soccer matches, eating some awesome Italian food and enjoying excellent Italian wines... It's a small, but very quaint place filled with loads of character. Really reminds me of being back in Italy...

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Give Gandolfos a try, the only one I know of is on Kyrene and Elliot in Tempe. They are killer and I used to get them every day for breakfast. Im not a New York Italian tho, more of an Arizonan.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will have to try that place, 82.

DeFalco's is a little expensive, but cheaper than most of the Italian places I know of.

Great food, IMHO :)

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will have to try that place, 82.

DeFalco's is a little expensive, but cheaper than most of the Italian places I know of.

Great food, IMHO :)

Love, love, LOVE DeFalcos!!! Their bread is the best I have found in the Valley.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Love, love, LOVE DeFalcos!!! Their bread is the best I have found in the Valley.

JG, if you're a fan of good Italian bread, you really need to check out Andreoli's. He makes it himself, daily... If you know what Terranova Bread is, this is it! ;)

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JG, if you're a fan of good Italian bread, you really need to check out Andreoli's. He makes it himself, daily... If you know what Terranova Bread is, this is it! ;)

Will do. DeFalcos is very close to me, though, so it is very convenient.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looked at Andreoli's menu - MORE EXPENSIVE than DeFalco's. And no hot pastas :(

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Looked at Andreoli's menu - MORE EXPENSIVE than DeFalco's. And no hot pastas :(

It's slightly more expensive than DeFalco's on the whole... But, they INDEED have Hot Pasta's!! They don't put them on the regular menu, instead, he prepares an entire separate menu each day with the pasta's he is offering that day. You need to walk in in order to know what the pasta's are for that day!

Again, as I said above, I don't mind paying for great Italian food. I would certainly not recommend making Andreoli's (or DeFalco's for that matter) an everyday stop... you'll gain 100 pounds in a month and go broke at the same time! :D
However, if you are looking for a once in a while treat, Andreoli's is the only place worth it as far as I'm concerned!!

:thumbup:

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you had the roast pork sandwich at Andreolis? Looks very good.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Have you had the roast pork sandwich at Andreolis? Looks very good.

Jon - the Porchetta is my FAVORITE sandwich he makes!!!! It's awesome! The bread is perfect. The meat is amazingly flavorful and tender, and just warm enough! And it comes with a side salad of Arugula and baby cherry tomatoes that is so incredibly fresh that I swear the guy has a garden in back of the restaurant and picks this stuff when ordered!! Made with the highest quality extra virgin olive oil and exquisite balsamic vinegar!! Love it!!!

His fresh pastas are amazing as well Jon. I think by now I've had them all (though he seems to throw in a new concoction every now and then) and I've never had a bad experience... Everything is so fresh. So tasty... but yes, expensive... :(

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like this "expensive" word that keeps popping up in this thread, lol.

Hey 82, ever been to Cascios on Scottsdale Road? Am wondering if it's any good.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I don't like this "expensive" word that keeps popping up in this thread, lol.

Hey 82, ever been to Cascios on Scottsdale Road? Am wondering if it's any good.

JG, I think you mean Lo Cascio's? If so, yes - I've been there twice (though I haven't been back in probably 2 years or so). Really good food. It's southern Italian (Sicily) style. Which I like, but I'm a northern Italian guy and prefer that sytle of Italian cuisine... I remember Lo Cascio's being very reasonable in terms of price as well.

The word "expensive" bugs me too... Seems that no matter where you go in Scottsdale, you're gonna pay!

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JG, I think you mean Lo Cascio's? If so, yes - I've been there twice (though I haven't been back in probably 2 years or so). Really good food. It's southern Italian (Sicily) style. Which I like, but I'm a northern Italian guy and prefer that sytle of Italian cuisine... I remember Lo Cascio's being very reasonable in terms of price as well.

Yeah, that's the place. They have a happy hour from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. I don't go out much anymore, but, when I do, it is only during happy hour time.

The word "expensive" bugs me too... Seems that no matter where you go in Scottsdale, you're gonna pay!

True, true.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was not real impressed with Lo Cascio's - and FAR too expensive - lot more expensive than DeFalco's

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Was not real impressed with Lo Cascio's - and FAR too expensive - lot more expensive than DeFalco's

Two totally different venues Jon... DeFalco's is not a restaurant. Lo Cascio's is a full sit-down venue. You should expect to pay more in a restaurant vs a deli.
I think the quality of the food is better a DeFalco's vs Lo Cascio. And, as far as Italian restaurants go, I wouldn't even put Lo Cascio in my Top 5. And, like I said, I am a Northern Italian... Lo Cascio is Sicilian based which is normally not what I desire.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Funny, I was at Andreoli's not too long ago.

In my quest for a great cannoli, someone told me about this place. They do have hot pasta dishes, but $26 for linguine in clam sauce? ouch ... I make a mean linguine in clam sauce so I was tempted to order just to compare but, instead, I got the porchetta sandwich. That day it was a bit on the salty side, but nicely seasoned with sage and pepper. Hubby got the proscuitto and tomato sandwich with pesto - also very good.

Oh, yes, the side bread they serve is fabulous (I saw the loaves and asked him if we were getting that bread!)

I didn't see any cannoli so I asked him and he said yes, they do have them so I got 2 for dessert - at $3.50 each but they were worth every penny! ... yum..

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Funny, I was at Andreoli's not too long ago.

In my quest for a great cannoli, someone told me about this place. They do have hot pasta dishes, but $26 for linguine in clam sauce? ouch ... I make a mean linguine in clam sauce so I was tempted to order just to compare but, instead, I got the porchetta sandwich. That day it was a bit on the salty side, but nicely seasoned with sage and pepper. Hubby got the proscuitto and tomato sandwich with pesto - also very good.

Oh, yes, the side bread they serve is fabulous (I saw the loaves and asked him if we were getting that bread!)

I didn't see any cannoli so I asked him and he said yes, they do have them so I got 2 for dessert - at $3.50 each but they were worth every penny! ... yum..

The prices are crazy high for sure Deanna... As I've said, it's not a place you would hit on a frequent basis. But, at least for me, it by far comes the closest to what I was born and bred on back home...