Boldin is no longer an elite receiver

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Considering what Boldin has done for the Cardinals it amazes me how much crap he takes when all he does is play his ass off.

Not surprising. He doesn't deserve it of course, but, when you shoot your mouth off as he did last season, whinning about not getting paid when he still had multiple years left on his contract, I can understand people being critical of him. Again, he doesn't deserve it, but it's not surprising.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill bet all 15 million of my ASFN money that Doucet is selling insurance in 2-3 years and will have less than 2000 yards receiving in his career.
Wow. that's very specific. I'll take that bet! ;)

It way be that he never makes it in the NFL, but if that's the case it's because of injury problems.

I think a more likely scenario is that he can't stay healthy on our roster, gets cut and then catches on with someone else and gets healthy and has a pretty average NFL career.

That said, i'd love to see him get healthy and stay with the Cardinals.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. that's very specific. I'll take that bet! ;)

It way be that he never makes it in the NFL, but if that's the case it's because of injury problems.

I think a more likely scenario is that he can't stay healthy on our roster, gets cut and then catches on with someone else and gets healthy and has a pretty average NFL career.

That said, i'd love to see him get healthy and stay with the Cardinals.

ALA KVB?

Nah KNB has talent.

Doucet has done nothing...absolutely nothing to earn one fan on this board. He was a reciever in college that was drafted in the 3rd round. You know how many of those guys are unemployed?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NHEIB84

Rookie
Reaction score
Not surprising. He doesn't deserve it of course, but, when you shoot your mouth off as he did last season, whinning about not getting paid when he still had multiple years left on his contract, I can understand people being critical of him. Again, he doesn't deserve it, but it's not surprising.

It's not surprising at all. I've seen Cardinal fans turn on Boldin so many times over the years. Other than last offseason Boldin hasn't deserved any of it. I think people forget how many wendell bryants we've seen in AZ. Boldin was drafted onto a terrible team with little heart and rose far above it. He was all we had to cheer about his rookie season.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Bottom line on the Boldin saga is this: Do we pay Boldin & let our only legit speed threat get away in Breaston or vice versa? At some point this year Cards must make that choice and it must be done for the betterment of the team. How much are you guys willing pay to keep Stevie B on board after this season? And I don't want to hear how the Cards are going to pay all 3!!! I'm sure he's gonnna want starters pay & some team or us will have to come up with the cash. If I'm the Cards I'm locking up #15 ASAP before the season ends at $4-5 mil a year for 5 years. Luv ya Q but I'm not paying you $ 8-10 mil!!!

Pay Breaston now or lose him next year
The choice is yours...

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the criteria. If people mean right now, no he's not elite, he's also not healthy he's playing with a hammy that can go at any time, limits his practice time, and limits his explosiveness. he's 2nd on the team in catches but has just 1 TD so far, has had some drops and the fumble.

Given he's playing with the injury and we've alread had the bye I'm not sure we can expect him to be 100% all year.

Breaston is also hurt but is doing really well proving last year wasn't a fluke and proving he's the ideal #3 WR on this team. One problem we have is with both guys less than 100%, teams are able to double Fitz. So far the counter is Hightower which is why he leads the team in catches (25 already). I'm hoping eventually the counter will be run the ball better be it Hightower or Beanie although I'm on record that I think Beanie will be the answer to our run game eventually.

I think the bigger question with Anquan is will he ever be 100% healthy for a season again? If you believe he won't, then the Cards money stance is probably correct.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Does anyone else realize Breaston is a FA next year? As much as I luv #81, I'm extending Stevie B. before he reaches FA & dealing Q to another team in the offseason or letting him play out his option in another year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Its more the lack of speed and burst I have noticed with him the last year.. He has been caught from behind by weak arm tackles and just doesnt break as many as he used to."
See what you get when you're willing to "play hurt?"

Anyone who's pulled or torn a hamstring knows what this can do to your speed, burst or pulling-away-power.

Q got hurt early in the season and (despite probably playing more than he should have) is beginning to get some of that speed, explosion and lower leg strength back.

In fact, he was one of the few guys last week who looked better in the 2H than he did in the 1H. Don't write him off so quickly. We need him.

OT - Everyone talks about Q being our most likely Wildcat feature back, but the Cardinals have another guy (a secret weapon?) waiting in the wings:

Jereheme Urban played QB in HS. Don't be shocked if he got a few snaps back there.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score

OT - Everyone talks about Q being our most likely Wildcat feature back, but the Cardinals have another guy (a secret weapon?) waiting in the wings:

Jereheme Urban played QB in HS. Don't be shocked if he got a few snaps back there.

Rolle is also an option. I hear he can chuck it pretty far, and he has some shiftiness.

jaguarpaw81

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Q, contrary to what his ego and heart tell him, never was and certainly isn't now a #1 receiver. But, he's still the best #2 in the game and I would hate to see him in some other uniform...
No way IMO. I love your stuff on the P&R board, but this is insanity IMO. Maybe you've been reading too many of nidan's posts (jk nidan :D)

Try telling that to teams like the Redskins, Titans, Ravens, Browns, Jaguars, Chargers, Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Raiders, Giants, Vikings, Bucs, Rams and Niners. He'd be the #1 on any of them and is better than what most of them have had over the last decade or 2.

The criteria for being a legit #1 reciever is being in the top 32 at the position in the NFL. Q has been atleast in the top 15 from his first NFL snap.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Upon further review, he may no longer be even a top #2 in the league.

Basically he can no longer stay healthy and cannot hold on to the football. It will be interesting to see what his future holds. Again, the Cardinals played their hand correctly

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically he can no longer stay healthy and cannot hold on to the football. It will be interesting to see what his future holds. Again, the Cardinals played their hand correctly

So what you are saying is that you wanted to bump this just to reiterate what you said in your very first post?

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that you wanted to bump this just to reiterate what you said in your very first post?

Shoot,sorry about that, I know that in the past, you've referenced that you suffer from a low IQ, I'll use smaller words next time. I was just commenting that he has regressed further in only a few months. He is now the #3 option on the team behind Breaston and his future with the team is clouded. He is obviously in denial about the deterioration of his skills after his complete disrespect to Whisenhunt.

Does that make sense? I apologize, I can send you something in a private message to clarify. I'm all for the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, in fact I can champion your annual walk-a-thon for the Arizona Chapter this year. Send me a follow up PM, and we can work out the details. I read your Las Vegas team raised a fair amount of cash last year. I will put up a small wager to guarantee our team wins this year :)

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoot,sorry about that, I know that in the past, you've referenced that you suffer from a low IQ, I'll use smaller words next time. I was just commenting that he has regressed further in only a few months. He is now the #3 option on the team behind Breaston and his future with the team is clouded. He is obviously in denial about the deterioration of his skills after his complete disrespect to Whisenhunt

:lmao:

Ryan are you off your meds?

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Back again Mr Shane!! How are you and yours? If Boldin was a good lockerroom presence, hed be a good lockerroom presence, but is he? He won't even get a first round pick based on his stats so far, and I thought he'd go off this year too..

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Boldin's numbers through first 8 games last three years:

2007 Receptions 33 Yards 355 (per game 71) TD 5 Missed 3 games (Season: 71, 853, 9)
2008 Receptions 42 Yards 514 (per game 85.7) TD 8 Missed 2 games (Season: 89, 1038, 11)
2009 Receptions 35 Yards 404 (per game 57.7) TD 1 Missed 1 game (Projection: 75, 866, 2)

2009 projections assume he will not miss anymore games.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, the Cardinals played their hand correctly
No, if they'd played it correctly, they would have traded him this past off season. If you are correct and he's not even a top #2 WR, then they won't get value for him this off season and having him play out his contract here doesn't make sense because Breaston IS a quality #2.

I actually don't think you're right, but going on your initial assumption, "playing it right" would have been getting a second round pick for him 6 months ago.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
What a fickle bunch. Boldins got a ton left to show to this league.He's gonna go off on Sunday. You should NEVER bet against the Q.He'll make you look bad everytime.

Just like the bring in Matty posts.Warner always bounces back.Even Leinart said all of those interceptions were'nt on Warner.Thats the only other voice I need to hear on the matter.

Boldin is gonna have a great rest of the year.Hope we keep him through the rest of his contract and then let him go find his 9 million dollar salary elsewhere.Do Not take a fifth rounder this year for him.Its not worth what we'll get in play next season WITH Warner still at the helm.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
No, if they'd played it correctly, they would have traded him this past off season. If you are correct and he's not even a top #2 WR, then they won't get value for him this off season and having him play out his contract here doesn't make sense because Breaston IS a quality #2.

I actually don't think you're right, but going on your initial assumption, "playing it right" would have been getting a second round pick for him 6 months ago.

The best offer we got for Q was a third round pick from the bears and that would'nt have helped us much in the future compared to what we're gonna get in the next 2 years of Boldin playing into the PLAYOFFS with Warner as the quarterback.

How soon some of you forget the 40+ yard catches he made in the playoffs last season. Order the new book Desert Storm its a great collective memerobilia of what happened last years and lots of pictures for those of you who don't read.

We also did'nt want to help a rival NFC team that could hurt us in da bears with Cutler.No Way.If the AFC had put up a better offer maybe a deal could have been struck,but it was'nt.We did the right thing.Only the future will prove it.PATIENCE!!!:D

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a fickle bunch. Boldins got a ton left to show to this league.He's gonna go off on Sunday. You should NEVER bet against the Q.He'll make you look bad everytime.
For the record, I'm not being fickle. I thought we should have traded him this offseason. I don't think he's done; I do think he could be very effective as a team's #1.

If everyone respects Q as much as they say they have, his wishes to be traded should be honored, IMO. Plus, with his injury history, you knew there was a chance his trade value would drop this offseason, and worse, if we let him play out the contract, we won't be compensated hardly at all for his departure.

These aren't the days when Martay Jenkins is our best WR. We're very deep at the position (and very thin at others). I still think the best thing for the team would have been to trade him 6 months ago.

JMHO

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best offer we got for Q was a third round pick from the bears
We don't know what the offer was, only that it wasn't good enough for the Cards' brass. It's been speculated that it was a second.